Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Detective 27 Cover Reimagining - 09.03.07 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2007 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JB the minute I win the Florida lottery your hired!!!
Back to Top profile | search

David Henriot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2007 at 8:21pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
First, I would want to stay true to the original script, since it would have been written as a script, and not "Marvel Style" of plot-pencils-script. So, same number of panels, total.

I think that's the rigth and olny way to do. Beside, it's part of the interrest of doing this.

What about pages 1,2,5 & 9 ?
I need to refresh my memory about this issue, but :
Page one is the first, so it has it's own interrest.
Same as page 9, "the end".
Page 5 : well, shit happens.
Page 2 ? Maybe we can reduce it's price, and increase the eigth others of, let's say for example, $ 50 each (8x50 = 400). Wich mean the guy who would get this will pay it only $ 600, [same amount for you at the end]. Or maybe only $ 25.

Are you telling us that the original Bob Kane pages of that era, with speech and no Bat-man are still waiting somewhere in a shop for a customer ? If so, please let me know the name of the shop.

By doing this, you're creating an unique object. Each of the nine customers will take part of this adventure. For two reasons, Bat-man and Byrne.
Each one of them will know what he is doing, i guess. And is free to join or no.

Edit :
After all, it's only $ 9000 for the whole. And don't forget that maybe some will buy more than one page, for the pleasure or to increase their chances to get "the good one(s)"
And also, at the end, they can sell them to each others if they don't like it. Chances are that it all end in the same hands.

Edited by David Henriot on 04 September 2007 at 8:27pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Henriot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2007 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Owh, i miss the point : it's 10 pages, not nine. Well, anyway, you've got the idea.

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2007 at 8:42pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

How about setting up a pricing schedule for each page based on the number of panels, whether the main character is in costume, if there is action, etc similar to what you have for your other interior pages?

David Henriot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2007 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I can already hear  Wayne telling : "hey, after all, it's only $ 10 000", and Ari sent me a mail asking me if i wanted to buy him a kidney.

It's possible because it's only 10 pages. 22 would have been a faillure.
You just have to decide if it's a  lotery or "first registered choose" (after fixing a 24 hours delay).
People know the story.
It's a mythic character and his FIRST story.
People will know the content of each page. Maybe (it's optional) you could add a quick-quick sketch or breakdown, then.
They'll be aware of the "less interresting" pages. So, no trick.
The price is good.
You only need ten peoples (at the maximum).
Each customer will get a print or a HD scan of the other pages. That way, he'll get "more" than just a page.
They can sell it to each other. Wich can be very interresting : a customer may only have the money for one page in 2007, but the money for another in 2008 or 09.
In the worst situation, you won't sell pages 2,5 and 9 (wich mean you still sell 7 pages). For now. But they'll exist, and you'll end selling them in a not distant future. Someone who has a page will want to have the others ; especially if they're available. I don't want to assume too much, but i feel it's a risk you may want to take.
It's a collector. Never been done before.
And more important : you want to do it !!

"Draw it and they will come"

EDIT :
Or : you plan your story, and only draw the interresting pages. And wait for people to ask you the other later.

Edited by David Henriot on 04 September 2007 at 9:39pm

Wayne Osborne
Byrne Robotics Member
Manhunter

Posted: 04 September 2007 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

And it gets even more complicted. This probably isn't going to happen
guys. I'd just let it go........

WO

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 September 2007 at 4:34am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

This probably isn't going to happen guys.

•••

No "probably" about it.

David Henriot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2007 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I've noticed that you didn't had the same aproach on the two re-interpretation.
Both really keept the Golden age spirit.
On the Action, you went more modern, on the Detective it really "could have been drawn in 1939". You got this almost naοve feeling. It's really close to the origial.

Wich is funny, because the two originals drawings are very "close" to each other, you end up with two differents results.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 September 2007 at 5:58am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

On the Action, you went more modern, on the
Detective it really "could have been drawn in 1939".

••

Funny, I would have said just the opposite!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 September 2007 at 6:11am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

How about setting up a pricing schedule for each page based on the number of panels, whether the main character is in costume, if there is action, etc similar to what you have for your other interior pages?

•••

Charge less for doing the same amount of work, you mean?

And I'm not sure what you mean by "other interior pages". In the professional comics I do, my page rate is my page rate. It does not vary, based on content. On the few recreations, those went for different prices because that was what they sold for, not because that was what I charged for them.

Martinho Correia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2007 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It is a page late, but thanks for taking time to do and share a photoshop
version of your process JB.

Edited by Martinho Correia on 05 September 2007 at 6:35am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Henriot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2007 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Well, to  me it's the open door to never ending complains. What about : i got only half of a Bat-man, or a view from back, while he gets a cool front view.

At the end, John must get the same amount of money anyway. They were only two options.
- Or the customers understand that they are "less interresting pages", but usefull pages for the naration and the interrest of the story, so they take the risk. At the end, they still own a piece of that collector story anyway.
- Or the customers agree (between them) that this / thoses pages should be worth a little less. So they accept to increase the price of their own (for something between $ 10 to 50) in order this page worth less (but at the end, still $ 10 000).

Both of the ideas would have been decided BEFORE they register for this issue, as an adult freely choosing and thinking. It would have been up to them to decide then to join or not.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version