Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2009 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

He's quite the hawkMAN.
Back to Top profile | search

Jesse Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2009 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The anatomy is based on Bob Paris, a classic old school body-builder, who IMHO had the most perfect male physique ever.

I've also told Keith that I would like for him to ... well ... shall we say, amplify his crotch area a little more.

Edited by Jesse Garcia on 05 June 2009 at 2:37pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2009 at 3:17am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Jesse,

Very interesting info about this awesome statue.  That picture of Bob Paris reminds me of something I heard on the message boards (not this one) some years back: someone mentioned that the vascular (veiny) look that superheroes were sporting when wearing their costumes (not applicable to this Hawkman, obviously) was "impossible".  That if you could SEE the veins someone is sporting THROUGH their costumes, than that meant that said costume would have to be so tight that the hero wouldn't be able to breathe.  After a few years going to gay bars, I knew this to be false (smile).  I've seen veiny arms and chests show through cotton shirts, to say nothing of the thin, skintight material superhero costumes are made of.

Jesse Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2009 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Marc, I live in South Florida, and was a personal trainer in the 80's, and I could have told you that simply isn't true, but it does depend on the man (or woman) and the material in question.   Yes, it would have to be tight, but silk, satin, spandex or cotton, all of which are soft and have certain levels of elasticity would easily show veins and muscles.  Now something like denim or leather (mmm ... leather ... oh, sorry), that's thicker and less pliable, no way.  But really, all you have to do is flip through the pages of any International Male catalog to see this fact in effect.

One of the things that Keith and I have been discussing at length is the fact that we both want him (and eventually Kenrda and Shayra) to actually look like he's wearing pants, rather than the just painted on effects of most statues out on the market today, after all even skin tight clothes fold at certain points.  So Keith is REALLY going above and beyond the call of duty adding in creases and folds and actually making the pant lines rise above the skin lines.  I should note that this is something that I learn from studying JB's drawings, he's one of the few artists that will actually draw clothes sticking out from bodys rather than just add the designs over them.  

And the reason that I chose Bob Paris for the body reference was because I prefer classic physiques and not the roid rage ones that you see today, personally I find too much vascularity on a man (or a woman) really unattractive.  

Edited by Jesse Garcia on 06 June 2009 at 7:32am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 June 2009 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Can't say I'm crazy about the muscular, veiny version, Jesse.

I prefer Kubert's sleek, athletic Hawkman. He needs to look graceful,
not pumped.

Pascal LISE
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2009 at 7:54am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Nice sculpture but I'm not fond of body builders anatomy so I wouldn't say it
represents the perfect male physique even for superheroes.

Jesse Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2009 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

JB ... the veins are just being added, so right now they look more severe than they'll actually end up being once they're blended in.    I've always thought that Angel should look graceful, but I've always viewed Hawkman as more a warrior, so I've always envisioned him as a larger and more intimidating a figure.  But I have talked to Keith about the muscles just under the pecs and above the abs (I forget what the technical term for them is) and told him they're too harsh, so he will be blending those in as well.

Pascal ... to me it's  more than just size and bulk, it's also about symmetry, which is not always found in most men, let alone body builders.  That's one of the reasons that I like Bob so much, he's physique was naturally built up.

Edited by Jesse Garcia on 06 June 2009 at 8:20am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 June 2009 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I've always thought that Angel should look graceful, but I've always viewed Hawkman as more a warrior, so I've always envisioned him as a larger and more intimidating a figure.

••

"Realistically" that should be the other way around. Hawkman is mostly dependent upon his weapons and technology, while Angel is really doing the flying under his own power.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2009 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm simply amazed that someone can sculpt like that. It's awesome. Scupting is an artform that just boggles my mind. I understand what something is supposed to look like, but from the mind to the hands, something is lost in the translation.

Jesse Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2009 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"Realistically" that should be the other way around. Hawkman is mostly dependent upon his weapons and technology, while Angel is really doing the flying under his own power.

So wouldn't Angel be leaner because of the fact that he's constantly burning more calories, so his body would retain almost no fat, and then start to consume his muscle mass for fuel?

Edited by Jesse Garcia on 06 June 2009 at 9:45am

Anthony Frail
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2009 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Incredible Bruce Lee figures.

Al Burr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2009 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I think the Hawkman looks really, really good, so far. I understand JB's point, but, unfortunately, I haven't had a lot of exposure to the Kubert Hawkman. I think my first major reading of him was Hawkworld by Tim Truman. I know, I know...that wasn't the real Hawkman.  :)
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 1031 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version