Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: The Art of the Punch (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2007 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 1  

Paul, any more scans of that calendar?

Back to Top profile | search

Paul Gibney
Byrne Robotics Member.

Posted: 21 August 2007 at 8:37pm | IP Logged | 2  

I bought them all in the day, but my scanner, as you can see, isn't big enough to scan them.  Besides, it's the 1976 Calandar that is the treasure.  Mostly Neil Adams.

Paul Gibney
Byrne Robotics Member.

Posted: 21 August 2007 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 3  

Chad, I just realized.  I was correcting you in that you said "Andru and GL's version of the direct approach" and I pointed out it was Garcia Lopez's work.  I just now realized you probably already knew that.  The GL you mention was probably Garcia Lopez, and not, as I had read it, Green Lantern.  Sorry.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2007 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 4  

Didn't even think about it, but that's funny stuff. No problem, Paul.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2007 at 11:12pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'm now the proud owner of the Hamburglar :^)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2007 at 11:16pm | IP Logged | 6  

It took me a while to figure out how good Andru really was. I think he was a victim of his inker in many cases. 

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2007 at 11:24pm | IP Logged | 7  

"I wonder how this guy yells "Aaahrrr!" when his jaw is presumably kicked into his frontal lobe."

It becomes even funnier when you consider that ALL of his dialogue comes AFTER the kick. Very articulate for a man without a face.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 4:38am | IP Logged | 8  

It becomes even funnier when you consider that ALL of his dialogue comes AFTER the kick.

---

His dialogue comes before the impact of the kick.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 4:51am | IP Logged | 9  

"His dialogue comes before the impact of the kick. "

I know that's what the writer wanted to convey. But the way comics are read, from upper left to lower right, when the kick is in the upper right and all the dialogue is in the lower right ...  Let's just say the dialogue balloons are badly placed.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 5:06am | IP Logged | 10  

Even the best writers can sometimes have trouble with the basic "snapshot" effect of comic book panels. One of several reasons writers are advised to read their work aloud to themselves, for example, is to avoid those instances where the picture portrays something that takes barely one second to elapse, but the writer has given a character or character's several seconds worth of dialog.

There's also the problem of when in the action represented by the picture the dialog takes place. As a rule of thumb, it's a good idea to avoid dialog that precedes the panel. This is one I have tripped on myself a few times. There's a shot of the Super Skrull in ALPHA FLIGHT, for instance, in which he is crying out in pain. I loaded the panel with dialog that lay before his scream, and the unfortunate result (which I did not notice until the book was printed) that he appears to be SHOUTING his whole speech.

Entire conversations that happen in single, action-filled panels are particularly silly, of course. And, when the books are done "Marvel Style" (plot - pencils - script) pretty much inexcusable. They represent the writer placing his words in a position of greater importance than the pictures, rather than the true collaboration of words and pictures comics are supposed to be.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 11  

Let's just say the dialogue balloons are badly placed.

---

Agreed, Knut.  Hmmm...  I now have the strange urge to seek out more examples of bad balloon placement.  I think (when possible) they should be placed in the upper left and right and lower left and right corners.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2007 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 12  

The reason why Stan Lee was so great: the man could write, but when it came time for a page of knock-down drag-out battle by Jack Kirby or other greats of the fight scene, he was cool enough to say, "No words can do these pulse-pounding panels justice! So I'll just step aside, True Believer, and let you enjoy!"

I'm sure this method also helped save time when you're producing dialogue for an entire line of comics.

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version