Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 40 Next >>
Topic: OT, a cautionary tale for art collectors (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 1  

Well, via Brian Floyd's link, some anonymous douche said the case can be made that John's offer to Gerry was "grandstanding" designed to make him "look like a hero". 

I saw that too, and was going to post it but the warnings further up this thread should be heeded.  The TCJ message board is filled with trolls and should be avoided if any alternative is available.  I had a very good friend from New Jersey so this isn't a bias but I noticed that at least three different, what I consider trolls, all had Jersey as their location. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Aric Shapiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 2  

If you are happy Gerry, than so am I

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 3  

Good luck, Gerry.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 4  

Can I call 'em or what (re: the grandstanding comment)??  Glad to hear things may finally work out for you Gerry.  What sucks is that it took all this for Golden to simply to act like a pro, which he should have been doing in the first place, rather than a petulant child.

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 5  

Best of luck, Gerry.

I hope this ultimately works out to your satisfaction.
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Franklin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 6  

Good luck, Gerry!

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 7  

Ditto for me Gerry. Good luck in resolving this to your satisfaction.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 8  

…some anonymous douche…

••

Emphasis added.

Nuff said.

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 9  

i dont know how you do this internet thing JB, ive been sent links to boards, some ive known about,some ive never heard of, where ive been called everything from a D**k, basement dweller, right up to,( or down to) a speculator !

none of these people know me from Adam. Does it get frustrating?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 10  

Glad to hear things are being worked out, Gerry. Hope everything turns out well.

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 11  

As some of you know, there has been a discussion over recent weeks about some art commissions, between on the one hand, Michael Golden (artist); and on the other hand, Gerry Turnbull and three other art collectors.  All parties involved have now come to an amicable resolution for all concerned, which involves those who wish to keep their commissions, doing so; and fair compensation for those who wish another option. Whilst much has been said in public--we are all agreeing amicably on the situation--discussions on which had been somewhat delayed by the SDCC. We are all also agreeing that while asking for the art to be delivered in time for San Diego put the artist in the position of having to move three pieces before other work, that the collectors were not aware that was the case, or that the delivery of others artwork would be delayed because of that.  To be clear, all four collectors had delivery dates, all of which were changed several times due to Michael's cover schedule, which we place before commission work at times. But none of these four collectors, knowingly or otherwise, jumped any commission line. 

Also, contrary to the rampant message boards, it is agreed that neither the collectors, Michael, or his agent, lied about any "good faith" on their part, in the course of these events. There has been some disagreement about expectations, and the fact that the artist's humor on the pieces wasn't expected by the purchasers. It is acknowledged however, that Golden holds no malice towards the four collectors, and the four collectors hold no malice towards Mr. Golden. In fact, this situation started out as one of mutual respect, and it is everyone's desire for the situation to be just that. 

After discussing all sides of the matter amicably this week and looking at the matter as a whole, we now feel the subject is respectfully settled to the satisfaction of all, and everyone seems pleased with the outcome.  At any rate, its all resolved now and some of us will be getting together to share a Pepsi  (or Coke) together at the
Baltimore show .  

Renee Witterstaetter (for herself and Michael Golden), Gerry Turnbull (for himself, Malcolm, Michael and Brian)

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 12  

I now have a better grasp of how those nasty and public fights between big wigs, corporations, celebrities, etc go from volitile to an amicable ending. ;)

Edited by Fred J Chamberlain on 02 August 2007 at 5:04pm

<< Prev Page of 40 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version