Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 40 Next >>
Topic: OT, a cautionary tale for art collectors (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2007 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 1  

Some artists do.
Charlie Adlard and Duncan Fegredo I think were.  John McRea had a sliding scale of how detailed a sketch he would do, but also did them for free - I got a Six-Pac head shot.
Most seemed to do them for free though.

Certainly at Dreddcon, the 2000ad conventions everybody does it for free.  I saw one guy at the pub meet last year getting a sketch from Simon Bisley, who then accidently spilt Guinness on it and managed to work it in.
Simon Davis (I think) was doing watercolour sketches for free at that one, but I was too busy drinking and chatting to get one, which I regret.
Back to Top profile | search

Jamie Coville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2007 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 2  

I was told by one long time artist that at one time Marvel and DC paid artists 5 dollars per "free" con sketch of one of their characters. The publishers saw it as advertising/marketing/keeping fans happy. Artists just had to keep track of how many sketches belonged to which publisher and give them an invoice after the con was over.

But it stopped, due to a mix of fraud/abuse and cost saving measures.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 August 2007 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 3  

I was told by one long time artist that at one time Marvel and DC paid artists 5 dollars per "free" con sketch of one of their characters.

•••

Never while I worked for either. Shooter once (and only once) said he thought it was something Marvel should do, but the idea went no further.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2007 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 4  

One thing I'd like to mention about class:

Before Adventurecon, I did some searching for artists who would be attending that I wanted to get art from to see what they would be charging. Ethan Van Sciver stated on his message board that he would be charging for art; I forget the price, but it was out of my range at the time due to me being unemployed. At the con John Romita JR's line was fairly close to Van Sciver's and one woman who was in the JR Jr line had some kids who were in Van Sciver's line and kept coming over to show off artwork they got from him. Turns out that when he heard JRJr would be sketching for free, he decided not to charge after all, and he was NOT turning out con quality pencils only or quickly done sketches, but small size commission quality art that took a long time to do and was not only inked but he was using colored markers to add effects; one sketch was the Flash running with lightning around him, and he used a yellow-orange marker for some of the lightning bolts. Alas, I didn't get anything from Van Sciver because I was in line for JRJr for over two hours and I have a bad right knee that was on fire by the time I got through the line and I had to go sit down for a while and Van Sciver's line was the second longest in the place (JRJr's being the longest). From what I heard, though, he was only signing hardback covers containing his work, but was doing sketches for anyone in his line.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2007 at 9:38pm | IP Logged | 5  

I got some sketches back when I was working at the Raptus con, but one of my favourites is an A3-size personalized Groo marker sketch. Sergio Aragones did those for all the volunteers that year. That man has to be the nicest comics professional I've ever met.

Bill Wiist
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2007 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 6  

The last $500 commission I did for an individual was a 2'x3' portrait of him, his wife and two children (Seen below). The customer was very happy with the finished product and currently has it hanging over his fireplace. I was very happy he was happy and I was especially happy to have been paid so much money for my work.

Of course, I'm no Michael Golden.

Edited by Bill Wiist on 01 August 2007 at 10:03pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2007 at 11:34pm | IP Logged | 7  

Uh guys,

Gerry is out $540

I'm out $750

the other two are out slightly lesser amounts. 

Michael, this situation is deplorable.  If you were stateside, the remedy would be obvious, if tedious.  As it is, barring some pro bono setup, hiring an attorney in the US to drag his ass into court just doesn't make a ton of sense.  It would seem the only option is to hope to shame Golden into doing the right thing...which, at this point, seems to be a case of expecting too much of the man's pride in his profession.

For my part, if I was attending a con with Golden as guest, I'd be slapping something (yeah, I'd try to find an actual artist) like the attached on a t-shirt and waiting for Golden--in this case his seemingly nutty rep--and the promoters to make something of it for the publicity. 

Anyway, I hope something resembling an equitable conclusion comes from all of this...

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 12:07am | IP Logged | 8  

Heh, that's good.

Michael Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 12:57am | IP Logged | 9  

Dave,

Who we kiddin'?  ;)

Edited by Michael Myers on 02 August 2007 at 2:07am

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 4:07am | IP Logged | 10  

The fact that Golden says he forged Renee Whatshername`s signature is surely a cause for concern for customs and excise? He claims she never saw what the package contains,yet put her name on it,suggesting to the authorities that she did know.What if it contained something illegal instead of just offensive?

John Peter Britton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 4:20am | IP Logged | 11  

Bill Wiist never run yourself down mate thats a fantastic piece of work.I cant understand why Michael Golden would do this to anyone it doesn't make any sense to ruin his career like this. 

Edited by John Peter Britton on 02 August 2007 at 4:27am

Bill Wiist
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2007 at 6:17am | IP Logged | 12  

I wasn't running myself down. I was just further showing "what your money can buy" - kind of like that show on TV.

BTW, I also turned around that commission for my client within two weeks time. That's while working a full-time day job, pursuing various side-interests and chillin' with the family.

Having said all that, Golden's a much better artist than I am and a much better known artist than I am (he's virtually a legend, for pete's sake!), but it sounds like he's doing his best to flush all those positives down the toilet.

Edited by Bill Wiist on 02 August 2007 at 6:18am

<< Prev Page of 40 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version