Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 40 Next >>
Topic: OT, a cautionary tale for art collectors (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 1  

Michael Terry:

You may want to follow up with Mr. Golden on EXACTLY what you expect and what you do NOT expect. Be specific to a FAULT.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 10:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

So am I getting this right:

Michael Golden does not depend on commissions for his livelihood, but refuses to make refunds even if it'll be months before he even thinks about starting them.
It is wrong for people to blame Renee for any of this, even if the reason they do so is that they mistakenly presumed that Golden wasn't committing the federal offense of forging her name to a customs declaration. Good to know.
If you pay 500 dollars for a commission from Golden, artwork like what Gerry received is the best he is willing to produce for that kind of money.
Without a computer powered spell-checker Golden is incapable of determining whether the word is correctly spelled "virtue" or "virue".
"Professionals" refuse to refund money for unstarted work even after long delays, forge business documents, insult paying customers, produce sub-par work if they dislike the customer and see no reason to stick to agreed upon deadlines. (Even if it was Renee who communicated those loose deadlines to the customers, she was acting as his representative. )

I guess that qualifies as Business Ethics for Comic Book Artists 101. Damn. I would've flunked that class.

Back to Top profile | search

Teod Tomlinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 11:00pm | IP Logged | 3  

and Paul Chadwick was there.
---------------------
That is a really cool sketch you got there Jeff.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 11:23pm | IP Logged | 4  

Very, very nice pencil sketch, and very nice of Mr. Finn to give it to Gerry. I bet it only cost about $100 too, and is infinitely superior to the $450-500 "sketch". Clearly, Michael Golden can and does do much better work on simple convention sketches done in an hour or two. Inked or not, what he gave to Gerry isn't as good as any con sketch I've seen him do, so his explanation sounds like prevarication. Even a single figure, inked with no background, should not be as sparse as that, when he does so much more with a penciled con sketch for about $100. I mean, come on!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Finn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 11:45pm | IP Logged | 5  

Uh guys,

Gerry is out $540

I'm out $750

the other two are out slightly lesser amounts. 

Michael Finn

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2007 at 1:50am | IP Logged | 6  

wow.

Michael Golden is a real horses ass.

John Schwenk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2007 at 2:05am | IP Logged | 7  

I'm late in posting but it seems unprofessional on Mr. Golden's part indeed.  I don't know about everyone else but $500 is a LOT of cash for me.  I would commission only artists whose work I truly enjoy for that kind of money.  And then when I do and I wait and finally receive a piece like Gerry got it would be very frustrating and hurtful in my opinion.

Hooray to Mr. Byrne for his generosity in the matter. I would love a chance to get a commission from Mr. Byrne of my favorite hero. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2007 at 2:26am | IP Logged | 8  

So if you want a drawing on 11x17 paper Golden is not obliged to make the drawing fill the page to any degree?Gerry,just be glad you didn`t ask for an Ant-Man drawing,the git may have just put a dot on the page and claimed it was `life-size`.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2007 at 3:49am | IP Logged | 9  

You know what would really end this? Renee has said that Gerry doesn't have any documentation of a promised date for delivery like he claims. If he does have it, he should scan it in and post it to end this once and for all. Especially if its handwritten by either Renee or Michael, and definitely if its dated. If he does that, the next sound would be their reputations flushing down the drain.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 01 August 2007 at 3:51am

David Barker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2007 at 4:41am | IP Logged | 10  

Looking at the LITG piece I see Mr Johnston refers to Gerry as "Turnball". Doing a story based on an entire event and getting the name wrong is as bad as misspelling "Virtue". Maybe it was a type of joke, but I doubt it.

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2007 at 5:37am | IP Logged | 11  

But Golden didn't address your commission in his explanation, Michael. I know you paid more. I'd still like to see your piece, BTW. This isn't going to be resolved amicably for you either, is it? As for Gerry's rip-off, what was the actual quote, just for the piece, not including what he paid for shipping? How much was the pencil sketch of Strange you got last year? I'm just saying, what he did for Gerry wasn't nearly as aesthetically pleasing, or value for money, as that pencil sketch, which was considerably less than $500 or $540, yes? In April, I was quoted $450 for a single figure, no background, by this team. That was after you guys had put in your requests. So was that more or less than what Gerry was quoted? You had more figures in yours, which is why it was over $700, right?

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2007 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 12  

Dave, I hope you quickly rejected that quote.

I can think of a couple artists offhand who would do you good work that's a LOT better than what Michael and Gerry have apparently received, and they wouldn't charge nearly as much. (Of course, that's because they're both fairly unknown, but its pathetic when you can get better quality from people like that than from someone of Golden's stature)

<< Prev Page of 40 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version