Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 40 Next >>
Topic: OT, a cautionary tale for art collectors (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 1  

I'm "jumping ahead" here to post a quick response...  then I'll go back to page 4 and continue the reading.

I'm truly aghast at how Golden has treated his fans.  And I was looking forward to seeing him this year at the Chicago Con, too.  Not any more.  NOW I plan on telling him what a jerk I think he is.....

By the way, for one "feel good" story:  I commissioned a sketch from Gene Colan a couple years back when he was at Chicago.  He was booked solid for the weekend, so he asked if I minded if he sent it to me via fed ex.  I gave him $60 ($10 for the shipping) and patiently waited.

2 months later I received a GPRGEOUS Batman head shot.  This is what I received:

I thought it was great.  I still do!

One month later, I receive a SECOND package from Mr. Colan.  Another drawing.  I thought he made a mistake at first, but there was a note sent along with it that said:  Kevin, The first one Gene sent was way awful!  This one is a make-up!  Gene & Adrienne.

I never complained nor requested a second drawing!  To say I was totally blown away would be an understatement!  I was already a huge Colan fan, but even more so now!

And this is what I got:

Gene Colan, much like JB, is a CLASS ACT!  Period!

Oh, and that first drawing I donated to an auction run to help creators who were ripped off by an unscrupulous publisher.   The money went to them.  (If you're curious, go here:  http://www.unscrewedcomic.com/)

edited for spelling

Edited by Kevin Brown on 31 July 2007 at 4:59pm
Back to Top profile | search

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 2  

"but to base that dissatisfaction on the fact that I drew the character enveloped in his cape speaks to his agenda, not mine. Perhaps Mr. Turnbull should request characters that don't wear capes."

More of that awesome Michael Golden wit.  Jesus, what a slimy guy. 

If it were just a drawing of Dr. Strange enveloped in that poorly drawn cape, then it would simply be a lack-luster commission.  It's the "kiss my ass" gesture mixed with the "don't fuck with me" message of "Patience is a Virue, Mr. Turnbull"  that makes it objectionable.  But don't cloud the issue with facts.

"But... But the gesture just happens to be similar to a rude one, but it's really only a variation on the gestures that Dr. Strange tends to make!"  -- Right.  "I accidentally ran over your dog, and backed over it again... six or seven times."  How does one react to such simpering nonsense except with righteous indignation?

Poor show, Mr. Golden.  It was shocking to see the drawing.  The lack of interest in doing good by the paying customer follows right in line. 

Edit to add: I have no idea why I wrote this as if he were going to read it.  Just venting I guess. 

GREAT GENE COLAN STORY!

Edited by Mark Haslett on 31 July 2007 at 5:05pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 5:03pm | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
But I do confess that I felt compelled to do a slightly comical take
on the usual Ditko hand-gesture by making it look as if Dr. Strange was
blowing the smoke-like mystical effect from his hand as if it were a pipe.
The '60's Pop-Nouveau lettering makes it all look rather psychedelic, I
thought. That I took the opportunity to use that effect to make an
editorial comment is any artist's prerogative and has been repeatedly
validated in many courts of Law. Unlike Mr. Turnbull's comments toward
me, it is not rude, slanderous, insulting, derogative, or has any negative
insinuation whatsoever. --Nor was it meant to. It is simply a truism that I
chose to make part of the work, given the history and context of its
production. However, I admit that the misspelling does make it seem far
sillier than intended. --I'm not in possession of a drawing board
compatible Spell-Check, I'm afraid.

If it had only said, "Patience is a vir[t]ue," this excuse might have flown
(even then, not very far). But "Patience is a vir[t]ue, Mr. Turnbull" is clearly
a dig.

I don't understand how any of what was posted by Mr. Golden or his
agent constitutes a defense. Even if the commissioners were being
unreasonable in their expectations about when they were to receive their
art and were being obnoxious in constantly requesting that they receive
their art (and from what I've seen in Gerry's posts I don't believe that is
true), the professional thing to do would have been to refund their
money.

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 4  

ive just received a very pleasant and surprising email from that all round good fellow Michael Finn. id like to take the time out to thank everyone who has shown me support and encouragement and the out of the blue, stunningly generous offers theyve made.For no other reason than to do someone a good turn.It really cheers the cockles . . .  .

"Gerry,

I know you idolized Michael Golden and I know you are disapointed in the current state of affairs.  Michael Golden did a Dr. Strange for me about a year ago at a show that is really very nice.  Quite good.  Its yours.  You can find it here:  http://cafurl.com?i=5257

I will mail it when I'm back home. 

Michael Finn"

Edited by Gerry Turnbull on 31 July 2007 at 5:18pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 5  

That's a long justification on Mr. Golden's part; let me summarize.

"I took the customer's money, made him wait, used my "artist's prerogative" to flip him off, and nyah nyah nyah."

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 6  

Cheers to Michael Finn!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 7  

(applause for Michael Finn)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 8  

If I read the response correctly, Golden is.

(a) taking sole responsibility for blame laid on Ms. Witterstaetter, which is fair at least;

(b) explaining his "patience is a virtue" statement: he wasn't actually told not to editorialize;

(c) emphazing (note his use of "obliged to generate") that he doesn't actually do this to make a living: supposedly, this is to please the fans;

(d) point out that a comic cover page quality job goes for 2K;

(e) explain that he didn't actually get any specific directives from Gerry as to content, etc, etc, etc.

Now, I applaud his taking the blame and leaving his agent out of it, but it seems to me that real pro would have gone a little further to obtain directives from the customer. The road of ambiguity is full of danger and apparently 30 years as a professional hasn't taught him much. Would he have accepted a comic book job without directions?

His tone would indicate that he's doing a favor to the fans by accepting the commissions. They'll get done whenever, after the more professional stuff gets done. That would be fine if he didn't ask for money up front. That one job is more worthy of timely delivery than another because it pays more is a contemptible principle.

He takes the stance that this (HIS) is THE final word on it. Right.

I dunno. In his shoes I would have been a bit more conciliatory. As it happens, he has recycled the "patience is a virtue" message to more than one customer, which takes at the very least, originality away from the work.

From this response, unlike JB, Golden doesn't seem to express much enjoyment in doing commissions. Perhaps he should quit doing them.

Michael Everall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 9  

I hate to interrupt the ongoing story, but that Gene Colan piece is just
fabulous. I don't think I could part with either of them, as they encompass
both the dark and light sides of the character like bookends. I don't think
I've ever understood Colan's genious as much as I have today.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 10  

As it happens, he has recycled the "patience is a virtue" message to more than one customer, which takes at the very least, originality away from the work.

And he uses it in his excuse for his behavior:

"
And, dare I say it, Patience is a Virtue.

Michael Golden.
"

Patience may indeed be a virtue, but it seems more relevant that patience with Michael Golden keeps him from writing you nasty messages in your commissions.  If only Gerry had been more patient, Mr. Golden wouldn't have had to teach him this lesson.

But dang can this goofball draw when he wants to.  I love that sketch that Michael got.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 11  

Kudos to those who have offered good deeds.  It does seem rare and/or unusual these days for someone to just do the right thing or a good thing.  Just for the sake of it.

I want to reitterate that Gerry himself, at risk of ridicule and criticism as much as praise and sympathy, is offering a good deed to those who might be considering a commission from Golden in particular or from someone else in general. 

I think that's where a lot of the disappointment in this case comes from.  I'm sure Gerry is familiar enough with Golden's work, published and/or commissioned, to have a realistic expectation of what he might receive even though it was based on good faith.  That Golden would honestly proclaim that this sketch is representative of his ability blows me away.  My only conclusions are that he's either lying or deluded.

The icing on the proverbial cake is when you compare what JB delivers to what Golden did.  The commissions that JB does are on par and often surpass what he would produce for a book to see production.  His customers don't get less effort because they aren't going to be produced as a cover.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 12  

I think that Gene Golan must see the world as a complex system of windy swirling forces. And it's awesome.

<< Prev Page of 40 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version