Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 40 Next >>
Topic: OT, a cautionary tale for art collectors (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 4:42am | IP Logged | 1  

Exactly. But it seems kind of strange to me that she would register and not post anything if it was her, unless she was under the mistaken impression that you have to register to see this part of the forums.

Gerry, I used this board's email option to send you a message. Let me know if you don't get it. Tried to PM you over at TCJ, but apparently PMs have been disabled there.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 4:46am | IP Logged | 2  

nothing arrived yet Brian
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 4:50am | IP Logged | 3  

"As for the John Byrne comments: I hear John "rubber stamped" his signature onreprint books with his work in them for the fans... rather than signing them. Iguess it's sorta funny - in a John Byrne sorta way - but I'm sure it was adisappointment for a fan that came to, andpaid to enter a con to get his fave artist's signature."

••

Don'tcha love partial stories? Best way I know to get them nasty rumors going.

The rubber stamp -- which was a huge hit with the fans* -- came about as a result of many people asking if I had a "reprint signature" for the reprint books. I thought about this for a while, and realized that a rubber stamp was the ideal "reprint signature". I still remember the huge laugh and applause I got from the crowd the first time I used the stamp.

The part that's "missing" from the above poster's comment, is that nobody every got just the rubber stamp if they had only reprints for me to sign. In those instances, I'd rubber stamp the books, then retrieve from my portfolio one of the non-reprint books I had brought along specifically for that purpose, sign it with my actual autograph, and give it to the fan.

* Over the years, there were even a few people who were disappointed when I would not rubber-stamp their nonreprint books for them. (Imagine the mess that could have created!)

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 4  

Wow. I'd love to have been there the first time you used the stamp just to see the reaction!

The way you used it, and the reasoning, both sound very sensible to me.

David Barker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 5:35am | IP Logged | 5  

Hah...My "Phoenix: The  Untold  Story" stamped reprint is a cherished possession.

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 5:44am | IP Logged | 6  

David can you post a scan of it? I've never heard of the rubber stamp. Got to get me one of those!

Wayne Purdy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 7  

wow...I'm speechless...

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 5:48am | IP Logged | 8  

JB: The part that's "missing" from the above poster's comment, is that nobody every got just the rubber stamp if they had only reprints for me to sign. In those instances, I'd rubber stamp the books, then retrieve from my portfolio one of the non-reprint books I had brought along specifically for that purpose, sign it with my actual autograph, and give it to the fan.

If you keep on letting storys like this to get out your in trouble of losing your "Bad Byrne" rep!  

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 5:52am | IP Logged | 9  

Gerry i had a look on that other forum,do you think she intentionally spelled your surname as Trunbull just to annoy you further? she gives the impression of an animal backed into a corner jabbing and flailing wildly.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 5:53am | IP Logged | 10  

If you keep on letting storys like this to get out your in trouble of losing your "Bad Byrne" rep!  

•••

Not a chance, William! From very early on in my convetion-attending days I would throw a stack of books into my portfolio, at first for people who "stopped by just to say hello" and didn't bring something for me to sign, then, once the rubber stamp was in use, for these folks and those who had only reprints.

Alas, at every con, it didn't take more than a couple of minutes after the first free book went out for people to start turning up at my table -- sometimes returning to my table, after already getting books signed -- asking for one of the "free books you're handing out." I would explain the "rules" of the free books, and sometimes people would accept this. Often, tho, they would not, and there were even a few unpleasant scenes. And, of course, "Bad Byrne Stories" subsequently, I am sure.

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 6:00am | IP Logged | 11  

JB: I would explain the "rules" of the free books, and sometimes people would accept this. Often, tho, they would not, and there were even a few unpleasant scenes. And, of course, "Bad Byrne Stories" subsequently, I am sure.

O.K. fine. ("one bad apple"...or in the case of the Cons "one hundred bad apples") but you've never done wrong by me.

Back on thread topic: Hope it all works out for you Gerry.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 July 2007 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 12  

O.K. fine. ("one bad apple"...or in the case of the Cons "one hundred bad apples") but you've never done wrong by me.

•••

William, I have "never done wrong" by most people. By far the vast majority. But having "Bad Byrne Stories" to tell has become a way of getting "fan cred", and once that happens, reality (or that little thing we like to call "the truth") never gets in the way. (In fact, the moment you have terms like "Bad Byrne Story" or "Byrne Bashers" the sheep start flocking to the call.)

"Bad Byrne Stories", you'll note if you pay even the tiniest bit of attention, are rarely first hand. ("I know this guy who has at this con where Byrne…"), and when they are first hand, they tend to be awful dodgy if you poke at 'em a bit. ("Byrne refused to sign my 15 books for me ---- while he was having dinner with friends after the con was over.")

And, of course, as we have seen rather too often even on this relatively well behaved board, all you need for a "Bad Byrne Story" is to turn off your sense of humor.

<< Prev Page of 40 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version