Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 40 Next >>
Topic: OT, a cautionary tale for art collectors (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 1  

I have no interest in putting money in the pockets of a man who would behave like this.

•••

Sales on most comics are so low these days that it takes an extraordinarily huge success to "put money in (the artist's) pockets". Mostly it's page rate, which is paid whether the book sells well or not.

So, if you like Michael's work, you should buy his comics. Ordering a commission is your call.

Back to Top profile | search

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'm looking forward to buying a JB comic soon!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 3  

If Gerry has written documentation from Renee that the art would be done within a month and a half, couldn't he have claimed breach of contract when the art wasn't done? I know he's pretty much hosed now on that, having more or less accepted the other failed deadlines, but back then.....

Someone over at the TCJ actually had the nerve to ask if waiting 10 months for art from someone of Golden's standing was not too long since he's probably in high demand! Best laugh I've had all week so far! When other artists who are likely in just as much demand, if not more, than him can turn out high quality commissions a lot faster than he does on a regular basis, 10 months is way too long. Especially when you've been told you'll get the art a lot sooner and what you do finally get is almost garbage.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 29 July 2007 at 4:51pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 4  

Because I have LOVED his work since discovering Micronauts #4 on the shelves and he remained a mysterious figure for many decades I still look forward to purchasing the upcoming book(s) and dvd releases.   However after hearing everything from this thread it has saved me a disappointing trip to Charlotte's Heroes Con in '08.  I had hoped to have him sign one of those signature "G" on my original Marvel Classics #29 Poe art.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 5  

Before I started coming here, I didn't realize artists even did commissions outside of Cons.

After being here a while, I've come to the conclusion that JB would be the only one I'd ever order a commission from, not just because I love his art (and I do!) but because this board and his words and actions related therein are all proof that he is honest and professional in his work.

And make no mistake - just like drawing a monthly comic drawing commissions is his work - he's doing a job for someone for pay, and just because he's doing something all of us admire and love doesn't mean he's not a stand up guy while doing it.

It's a little sad to say kudos to someone for being courteous and professional and customer-oriented when that should be the norm, but since it isn't, I think this thread proves just how much many of us on the board appreciate JB and his efforts to entertain and enlighten us in our love of comics.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 6  

Gerry, I'm sorry to learn of your bad experience, but am pleased to know that you'll be getting an extra-large Dr. Strange drawing from JB!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Finn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 7  

I know from Gerry that he was never asked for a non-refundable amount nor was he ever told that they don't do refunds until he asked for a refund.

My own experience was the same way.  I was told in writing it would be 2 months or less.  That was in October 2006.  I was not told there were no refunds until I asked.  Then, I was subsequently told IN WRITING that I had no contract with Michael Golden.  I thought Mr. Golden would have an interesting time explaining to a judge why he cashed a check for $765 from me (I have a copy of it from my bank signed "michael golden" on the back") unless we had a contract.  Perhaps he is used to receiving checks from total strangers for absolutely no reason.

On the subject of JB, I will say (a) Jim Warden is one of the nicest guys in the biz and I really him and (b) JB did one of the most favorite commissions that I own -- I had always dreamed of owning something from JB and I was fortunate enough to be able to commission him many years after I first had the dream.

Many thanks to John and Jim for making one fella's dream come true.

Michael

Michael

Sean Sullivan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 8  

Just got back from the weekend and saw this thread...wow. Gerry -I'm sorry that happened to you, you seem like a stand up guy. I met Golden @NYCC in Feb. and it was a thrill. I got in early and I got to talk to quite a bit of my old school art favorites, he was one of them, and he was very nice. But...wow...that is some petty shit. He's off my list of people I would get a commission from. How can you trust him now?

And JB-well done sir, well done.

Michael Finn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 9  

Yes, Gerry had a breach of contract claim.  And, yes, he very likely still has one.  Michael

David Kingsley Kingsley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 10  

Gerry, I asked, because I got a sketch from him there, in October, as well. My friend, who was in line behind me, was told that Golden might need to take the sketchbook from the con, complete it on his own time, and then mail it back to my friend. My friend decided against it.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 11  

It's a little sad to say kudos to someone for being courteous and professional and customer-oriented when that should be the norm, but since it isn't, I think this thread proves just how much many of us on the board appreciate JB and his efforts to entertain and enlighten us in our love of comics.

••

I'll use your comments, Brad, to say thanks to you and to everyone else who has come forth with such rewarding sentiments. Reminds me why I am doing what I do.

The important point raised by many, that doing what one does is doing what one does, and that no special commendations should be necessary also warms the old cockles. It's exactly how I feel, and reminds me of something Frank Miller said, years ago, about a hotshot artist notorious for flaking off on deadlines and various other responsibilities: "Guy does four pages and he wants a parade."

Again, to everyone, thanks.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 12  

JB did one of the most favorite commissions that I own…

••

Can I ask which one?

<< Prev Page of 40 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version