Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 40 Next >>
Topic: OT, a cautionary tale for art collectors (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 1  

hear hear Joe!!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 2  

JB wrote: " I would feel bad taking money up front if I knew I would not be getting to the piece for several months."

My one negative experience I alluded to in my previous post relates to this comment.  When I commissioned the piece I asked how long I should expect the turn around to take because I did not want to wait very long.  I would've just spent my money elsewhere.  I was quoted "one to two weeks."  I was very pleased to hear that so I went along with the commission and sent my payment.  Promised deadlines came and went and it ended up taking three and a half months before my piece was completed.  I was really annoyed by this because I paid up front and was told one to two weeks.  Very unprofessional I thought.  Not nearly as bad as Gerry's situation but I won't be commissioning from un-named artist again and I would not give him a very good recommendation to others.

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 3  

I read Gerry's post over at the Comics Journal board, and I can't believe some of the responses over there, including one moron who thinks Michael Golden could sue Gerry for libel! lmao

I told someone else Gerry's story and they reckon, and I agree, that Gerry could be suing him! Small claims court. There is the juristiction problem and the cost though.
Back to Top profile | search

Lars Skau
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 4  

David Barker said:

I agree with that part Lars I was mostly commenting on the fact that the Modern Masters volume was painful to read because of Golden's seeming disinterest. I read it before this situation with Gerry as well.

Oh I got that, sorry if it didn't seem so. I was only commenting that Golden did a great job even if he seems to have a disinterest in comics work. Haven't read Modern Masters yet.

And may I say that it's nice to hear some great storys about JB - a nice man it seems! Not at all what I've heard.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 5  

I ordered the Modern Masters volume and the DVD some time ago (they're still in transit), but unlike a few others here I see no reason to not open them and enjoy them. Golden obviously has made some mistakes vis a vis his commission work, but let's not forget that we're all fans of his work.
Caution should be exercised if one wants to hire him for a commission, perhaps imposing a deadline-or-refund clause in writing, even if that deadline is 6 months. And if someone wants to boycott his work, whether reprints, new books or interview books, that's up to them. I personally don't but I can understand those who feel hurt by his behaviour.
I hope that somewhere along the line he wakes up to the problems he's creating for himself and addresses them in a professional manner. I just hope that the people, like Gerry, who have had these bad experiences don't find that their love for his work has been "tainted" by this, because it really sucks when you can no longer enjoy your favorite comic because the creator is ... crude.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 6  

Ya know what else?  I don't think it's been mentioned but for $500 Mr. Pyrite didn't even give Gerry a very big single character figure.  Assuming that's an 11x17 art page that Doc Strange figure is only about, what, 7x10?

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 7  

The work and the man are two different things.

He obviously isn't worthy to get commissions, but i'll always be happy to read a story he draw.

What he did to Gerry is a shame.

It gave me a very low opinion of the man.

But the art is better than the artist.

David Kingsley Kingsley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 8  

Was this at Motor City Con, might I ask, Gerry?

Edited by David Kingsley Kingsley on 29 July 2007 at 2:13pm

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 9  

"He obviously isn't worthy to get commissions, but i'll always be happy to read a story he draw."
-----
Not me. I never would have bought a commission from him to begin with, but after this incident, I can't imagine I'll ever buy a comic he has worked on, either. I have no interest in putting money in the pockets of a man who would behave like this.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 10  

Usually I am able to separate the person from the work. Unprofessional
incidents like this make that extremely challenging.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 11  

Golden's a crappy professional, but let's not demonize him. His published art is still among the best. 

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 12  

David, noit wasnt at any con, it was all done via email.May i ask you why you asked?

<< Prev Page of 40 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version