Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 40 Next >>
Topic: OT, a cautionary tale for art collectors (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 1:43am | IP Logged | 1  

Rene is Michael Golden's art representative and the person that Gerry has had the most issues with.  I look forward to hearing what Renee says.

I know how unhappy Gerry is -- his drawing does not appear to be dynamic and is not at all what he desired from one of his artistic heroes.  It is a terrible shame that Michael did this piece. 

Michael
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Finn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 1:45am | IP Logged | 2  

See my earlier post -- Renee represents Michael Golden and she and Gerry are quite at odds.  From Gerry's post it is clear that Renee signed the customers form accompanying the artwork -- that is her signature.  That seems to me to mean that she too knew what Michael had done. 

One would have hoped, perhaps, that once she saw the artwork, she might have spoken with her artist client and tried to get him to understand that this probably isn't a cool thing to do.  Yet another lost opportunity to straighten this out with Gerry.  Alas.

My piece arrives in 24 hours or so.  I will let you all know.

Michael

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 2:29am | IP Logged | 3  

i was looking through the emails i received from renee, this is the timeline.(this isnt all the emails either)

october 10
 "Well... he has a convention this next weekend, and four Iron Man covers to do this month.  So you will probably need to give it a month and a half or so. Plus, he does not rush on these.  He is very concerned about doing a good job for everyone.  So, feel free to check back in with me any time, and I'll keep you updated!
--R. "
November 25
"Hi Gerry--He doesn't have any more conventions until the end of January now, so he back on commissions. . .  I'll keep you updated. --R"
December 12
"Hi Gerry--I know he plans to work on most of the commissions over the holdiays. It shouldn't be too long, but he doesn't knock these out either. :-)
--R. "
January 11
"Hi Gerry--His intention is to finish everything before the NYCC in February. He's working on commissions inbetween cover assignments. etc. --R. "
May 31
"Hi Gerry--
Michael is getting to the commissions as quickly as he can, and I've moved yours to the top. I don't think there was a guaranteed time of delivery? I'm not sure why you are upset. It's hard to put a time on when an artist is going to complete a piece. . .  .We don't refund . . . "
June 1
"I do know Golden has started several pieces, and I do believe he has started yours."
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 4:24am | IP Logged | 4  

That's a very strange attitude. She keeps giving projected dates for when it's going to get done, then after six months says she doesn't think there's a guaranteed date of delivery? If there's no guarantee, then she would KNOW. And no refunds? I can understand no refunds if he's started on the piece. Even if it's just preliminary sketches. But no refunds a month before he even starts on the piece? Six months after it's been commissioned?  I don't see how that's even legal.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 5  

Counteract some of those Bad Byrne stories with some positive spin, whydontcha?

••

Not in my nature.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 6  

I have a thing with cool names like that....
jealousy, really...

•••

Hey, Joe, "Smith" was my father's mother's maiden
name. Maybe we're related!

Mike Baswell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 7  

I'd recently purchased the Michael Golden Modern Masters, and I wish now I
could go ask for a refund and it would affect his bottom line some way.
Unbelievably tacky on his part and his agent's conduct is not much better.

Cheers to JB for his kind gesture towards Gerry. I disagree with those that
say he should make a big deal of this as a wat of counteracting bad Byrne
stories however. We all know those stories are baseless anyway and integrity
and professionalism shouldn't need to be pointed out as exceptions. They
are traits that should be expected.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 8  

my copy of modern masters came in the mail yesterday.Cant bring myself to open it.

Corey Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 9  

Regarding Gerry's e-mails, I have to wonder if Golden has been sucked into the "growing roses" mentality. Is this the reason he's done pretty much nothing but covers the last few years?

10 months is a ridiculous amount of time to wait for the rendering of a single character...especially when it's hinted a few months that he'll be "getting around to it."

Edited by Corey Johnson on 29 July 2007 at 9:44am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 10  

Regarding Gerry's e-mails, I have to wonder if Golden has been sucked into the "growing roses" mentality. Is this the reason he's done pretty much nothing but covers the last few years?

••

Michael has always been slow. I don't know if this is due to how he works, or when he works, or what, but hitting those monthly deadlines has always been a problem for him.

Which is too bad. As someone pointed out, years ago, if Michael had been able to produce the work, there would have been no "need" for Todd McFarlane doing a half-gassed Golden imitation.

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 11  

i thought long and hard about posting that timeline, but they are business letters not personal emails.

Renee and i did have some nice personal emails for a while, i had put her in contact with some UK con promoters.wished i hadnt now . . .  .

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2007 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 12  

just remebered ive also preordered the Mike golden dvd . . .thats goin to sit on the shelf for a looong time.

<< Prev Page of 40 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version