Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 40 Next >>
Topic: OT, a cautionary tale for art collectors (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 1  

Without knowing the details of what was commissioned, I can somewhat understand the argument that Gerry is out of luck, buyer beware and all that.  Unique items especially, like a commission, are afforded protections against a disappointed buyer.  But to debate about whether the finished piece is worth what was paid for it is obfuscating the issue.  If you're going to act as a merchant, don't make representations you can't follow through on, and in fact don't, like ensuring delivery in writing over and over again.  Going by Gerry, the conduct in this case of Golden and just as equally the agent, has been shameful at best.     
Back to Top profile | search

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'm still waiting for the first Byrne-bashing Golden Showerers to come busting in.

Michael Cross
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 3  

What a bunch of douchebags at the comics journal board..it's unbelievable that they consider this piece of dreck worth the $500 that Gerry paid.  I've paid much less for much better from other artists, as i'm sure Gerry has.   That art from Mr Golden is not good in any way.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 4  

1. It's a crappy drawing.

2. It's insulting to Gerry.

3. He can't spell!

It's not worth 500 cents!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Lee White
Byrne Robotics Member
Fake Name

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 5  

First beer since waking up from my nap.

I plan on emptying the fridge!

Byron Berry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 6  

Wow,

I can't believe he had the nerve to even charge for that sketch!!!    I mean it had to take 2 minutes tops and I think my 8 yr old could do that and even spell better!!

And the phrase he put on there and the raspberry... He might as well send this out as a commission

Better yet,  

I think you should send him one of these T-shirts along with a letter from your Lawyer threating legal action....If anything it might wake him up to how not to treat a paying customer.    I know I wouldn't be in business for long if I treated customers like that....

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 7  

Uh-oh :

"The Newest Forum Member is Renee Witterstaetter  "

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 8  

cool.

I've always looked at her name and thought, "what is the origin of the name Witterstaetter?"

I have a thing with cool names like that....
jealousy, really...

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 9:48pm | IP Logged | 9  

Oh my. Carrot or Stick? Which shall it be?

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 10:49pm | IP Logged | 10  

I'm sure that piece took Mr. Golden more than a few minutes. It's fully inked and has some details in the cape and lettering that couldn't have been done too quickly. The pencil sketch I got took at least an hour or two for him to finish. That said, the piece Gerry got is not worth $500, and he should get a refund or a piece he is satisfied with, at least. I know Golden charges $450 for a single figure, no background, and the extra is probably what Gerry had to pay to get it shipped to Scotland. He wanted a nice shot of Dr Strange conjuring a spell, and I guess that's what he ended up getting, in a way, but the figure being in profile, all cape no shape, etc., would not make me happy either. Waiting for months and months, when repeated promised dates go by, and then getting that piece, with a childish reprimand for daring to ask for a timely return after paying in advance, would really make me unhappy.

It's nice of JB to offer to make up the $500 to Gerry in artwork, when he really didn't have to. All these people saying how great it is makes me think you should make this kinda stuff public more often, JB. I know you hate compliments, and don't want to toot your own horn, but people should probably know that you do good deeds for people all the time. You send people free stuff, comics they missed, sketches sometimes, even. You gave me that LOTR piece. That's right, folks, it's all MINE! There's that time you bid $1000 for a Dick Sprang painting at a charity auction and walked over and gave it to Roger Stern's wife as an anniversary present, when she was bidding for Roger to get it, and was outbid by some collector. Counteract some of those Bad Byrne stories with some positive spin, whydontcha?

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 11  

You gave me that LOTR piece. That's right, folks, it's all MINE!

Dave, I wondered what happened to that piece. My sincere congratulations that JB thought to bestow it upon you.  It may possibly be my all-time favorite art he's ever done.

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2007 at 11:23pm | IP Logged | 12  

I think he did it because I mentioned half a dozen times, that if I could ever afford a commission, that would be it. Since I can't afford a commssion, he gave it to me as a thanks for services rendered to the forum. I'm not the only one either.

<< Prev Page of 40 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version