Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Thor and Ron Frenz (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2007 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 1  

I loved this run.  The Eric Masterson issues are nostaglic favorites of mine.  I loved the whole where'd they banish Thor to, Hiemdall taking over for Odin and Eric Masterson dealing with having the power of the god of Thunder.
Back to Top profile | search

Christos Seros
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2007 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 2  

I always thought of Ron Frenz as the 3rd Buscema brother, anything he draws is solid

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2007 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 3  

I kind of enjoyed his Fantastic Four, but I thought he milked the Kirby thing for too long. I mean, if I had drawn Thor or the FF back then, I would've wanted to shine in my own light, not someone elses.

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2007 at 11:33pm | IP Logged | 4  

I liked this run. I confess I am a Ron Frenz fan, I like almost anything he does, from Spider-Man to Thor to Spider-Girl to Superman.

If I had to choose an inker, it would be Breeding, but Sinnott, Milgrom, Sal and Rubinstein inks work quite well.

I must also make a special mention of one of the best Spider-Man stories ever, "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man" (if memory serves!), written by Roger Stern and inked by Terry Austin. Ron was very Ditko-esque there...

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2007 at 11:33pm | IP Logged | 5  

I enjoyed it.  I had forget all about his Thor run and had to investigate a few long boxes in my basement to see if I owned it.  Turns out that I do! I'll have to reread them.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dave Powell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2007 at 1:28am | IP Logged | 6  

Ron is a comic book artist.  There are so few of them around that that is the finest compliment I can give him.

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2007 at 3:28am | IP Logged | 7  

I enjoyed it. I had forget all about his Thor run and had to investigate a few long boxes in my basement to see if I owned it. Turns out that I do! I'll have to reread them.

It's great when that happens. You go through your stuff and find something you forgot you had... its like getting a present or something.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2007 at 5:00am | IP Logged | 8  

I agree that the DeFalco/Frenz run is gold. I wouldn't put it on the same level as Lee/Kirby and Simonson, but it might very well be third behind those two classic runs.

Some of the early Eric Masterson tales are solid (Though I've always been in the camp that believes that Thor doesn't need his own "Clark Kent"), but it does start to jump the shark when things like "Thor Corps" and "Code Blue" start to appear...

Chuck Wells
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2007 at 5:14am | IP Logged | 9  

The DeFalco/Frenz/Breeding combo was like stepping back about 15 - 20 years..... and having alot of fun.  I really enjoyed those issues and agree with all of the positive comments made about this run.

Thor was a great read during this time, and due to the conclusion of Walt Simonson's classic run that preceded it, one of Marvel's unheralded gems at the time it was being published.

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2007 at 5:38am | IP Logged | 10  

With such a tough act to follow, I can see how their run might have been overshadowed. The consensus on the board seems to be a positive one. Might take a look after I get through Walt's stuff.

Edited by David Ferguson on 18 July 2007 at 5:38am

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2007 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 11  

After I typed my last post, I realized that Simonson's Sigurd Jarlson was much more "Clark Kent" than Donald Blake, Eric Masterson, etc. I guess what I meant to say was that I don't think Thor particularly needs a "mortal identity" and would prefer Thor to adopt an identity like he did with Sigurd, if at all.

Personally I think he should just stay at Avenger's mansion, collect that awesome Avengers stipend, and forget mortal ID's altogether. ;)

Edited by Robert White on 18 July 2007 at 6:13am

Andrew Kneath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2007 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 12  

This thread got me looking at some Frenz art online and this image caught my eye...

I'm sure I've seen something similar to it on this board recently! ;-)

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version