Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8
Topic: May I have your autograph? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 1  

Best autograph story ever, Andy.

And Dave...is that you in that first pic, or had you cut and skedaddled by that point?

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 2  

Thanks for sharing those stories Dave P. and Andy. Very nice.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 3  

Not me, Brian. I chickened before going on the stage. I might have taken that picture myself. Mom got the other close-ups, I think. The one where Batman is sitting down talking on the mic, he's probably calling for me. He stayed in character the whole time, and he WAS Batman to me. I freaked.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shawn Kincade
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 4  

Three of my favorites in my collection:

• The Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told (signed by John Byrne, Curt Swan, and Julius Schwartz)
  • X-Men # 1 (signed by Stan Lee)
  • The Fantastic Four Omnibus Vol. 1 (signed by Stan Lee)

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 11:31pm | IP Logged | 5  

This story is another rather embarrassing one, I'm afraid. I was once fortunate enough to win a contest through my knowledge of film trivia. Among other things, I got a trip to LA, and attended the Oscars and an Oscar party thrown by Miramax at the Polo Lounge in the Beverly Hills Hotel. I met a bunch of celebrities. I was trying to be cool though, and just hobnobbed and glad-handed everyone. Only on my way out did I decide, what the hell, I'll get a few autographs as momentos. I was a little bit prepared. I had the note pad from my hotel in my pocket, for just such an emergancy. However, I made a very embarrassing faux pas by calling Malcolm McDowell, "Terence" when I met him in the party and again when I bumped into him at the concierge desk, and asked for his autograph. In my (feeble) defense, I had a few too many free drinks, and confused him with Terence Stamp, because they're both distinguished actors, very tanned, with white hair, and have similar accents, but that's no excuse. Anyway, he was very gracious and signed for me (getting my name right, btw) but his wife was rather miffed, and told me my mistake when I said Terence (again!). "Yes, but it's Malcolm", she said. I said, "Of course! Malcolm McDowell. I confused you with Terence Stamp. That must happen all the time, right?" He just smiled and signed, but her response was an icy, "Well, it's happened twice today." Wow. Very embarrassing, but I got his autograph! What a guy.

Then, I went out on the red carpet and waited for my limo (maybe it's not such an embarrasing story after all), and bumped into Don Rickles again. "Don, can I get your autograph?" "Sure kid, sure."

Michael Caine was out there too, but he was clutching the Oscar he won that night for "The Cider House Rules" so I didn't bother him with an autograph request. I could have held the statue for him while he signed. Ah, well. Did I mention that the contest I won was from the ABC tv show "Norm" which was a funny show with a good cast, but I never met them while I was out there. The publicist from the show did get me a signed shooting script though, which is pretty cool. It's not the script of the show that was the contest show "Norm vs. Fear", http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0662148/, but that doesn't really matter. It's a nice little bonus. Top to bottom, it's Nikki Cox, Norm MacDonald, Artie Lange, Ian Gomez, Laurie Metcalf and Max Wright.

Edited by Dave Pruitt on 16 July 2007 at 11:40pm

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2007 at 10:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

I wish Norm would get released on DVD.

mmmmmmmmmmmm, Nikki Cox!

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2007 at 10:33pm | IP Logged | 7  

I do too. I'd like to see a copy of that contest show again. I had it on video tape, but have lost it somewhere along the way. The show had many items from movies, like costumes, props, and lines, and the contest was to see how many you could spot, and name the movies they were from, then submit your list by a deadline a week after it aired. I didn't know the exact number of items, and there was a lot going on in the episode (multiple items onscreen at once) so I had to watch it on tape several times before submitting my list. I had the most correct answers. I don't know how many entered the contest (they wouldn't tell me) but was told it was thousands and thousands, and I checked the ratings for that episode. It had over 14 million viewers.

Steve Horton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2007 at 2:33am | IP Logged | 8  

George R.R. Martin signed my copies of the first four Song of Ice and Fire books at a tiny fantasy convention in Chicago a few years back -- that my wife took me to on our anniversary. Whatta gal! My wife that is. Everyone was there to see GRRM, and it kinda turned into a GRRM Con rather than anything else, as the most popular game demos were the Game of Thrones card game and the Game of Thrones board game. (The Rocky Horror style presentation of "Once More, With Feeling", the Buffy musical episode, starting the Great Luke Ski as Spike, was another highlight.)

I talked to GRRM and must have gushed too much because he didn't say much in response. I pointed out how he made the villains even more interesting than the heroes, no mean feat. "She likes Cersei," he said, pointing to a female con organizer in a tight Ren Faire bustier. The wife and I ended up having dinner with another congoer and his daughter, and he and I chatted about the series for over an hour. Wish I had kept in touch with that guy -- it was great conversation! The fifth book came out just a few months after that.

When I was a kid, I got an autograph from Marc Summers, host of Double Dare. He was doing a mall tour, which my sister and I didn't make it on.

I got a signature on a "Q" Star Trek collectible card game card from John De Lancie (one of the most powerful cards in the game, natch). De Lancie was in a foul mood the entire time he was at the Trek convention, even going so far as to correct an eager young fan who asked him what it was like to work with Picard.

Edited by Steve Horton on 18 July 2007 at 2:35am
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2007 at 3:15am | IP Logged | 9  

Andy, I love that Python story.

I could see how signing a maths book would appeal to their senses of humour. Great story.

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2007 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 10  

My father worked in Philadelphia when Dick, then called Richie, Allen played there.  He wound up getting a ball signed by all the Phillie players.  I still have that ball.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 8
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version