Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: May I have your autograph? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 1  

Sorry to amaze you Joe,  and maybe it's just a bad explanation on my part.  Like I said I don't get autographs, and I don't see how a creator signing a book gives me any more joy than the creation already did.  For me if I got to sit with the creator and break bread with them, and interact that way, that to me would then be memorable.  Others have pointed out more personal things that have gone along with the autograph, and that makes sense to me.

I would guess many at this forum would rather have a brew with the host, than have his autograph.

Back to Top profile | search

Glenn Stone
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2007 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 2  

I have a variety of autographs from movie and TV, comics and sports. There are three that have an interesting story behind them.

1. I bought the first Sheryl Crow CD, Tuesday Night Music Club, at a Half Price Books store. It was three months later that I realized she had autographed the front cover. (I didn't have anything to compare it with, I thought it was a facsimile and part of the cover).

2. At Wizard World Chicago in 1999, I had plans one evening to see a friend who lives there. Unfortunately she was sick and had to cancel, so I ate at the hotel bar/restaurant.  When I finished, I noticed Claudia Christian was playing pool with some people. I'm a fan of Babylon Five and I like pool, so I went over and watched. She noticed me and came over and introduced herself.  She put her arm around me and we talked between shots. The next day I went to her table and she gave me two signed pictures free of charge.

3. At a con in Dallas (where I live) I had Dick Giordano sign this:

He looked at the cover and flipped through it, then asked me where I got it. I told him I won it in the contest CD had when they re-launched Superman. He told me that was the first one of them he had seen.

I'd like to get it signed by the writer and artist, but I understand he doesn't go to conventions anymore.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 3  

A local mall was holding a sports card show yesterday and they had former Lightweight and Junior Middleweight World champion Vinny Pazienza signing autographs. The Pazmanian Devil is most famous for beating Greg Haugen and Roberto Duran. He had to vacate the Jr. Middleweight title when he was in a car crash. He was told he could never fight again, but came back and had a  successful return (winning three more titles) until he retired in 2004. His in ring record was 50-10. He was a really nice guy and we talked about his fights and some of todays fighters. He took to calling me Pauly and who am I to argue with a tough guy like that.

Edited by Paul Greer on 15 July 2007 at 3:42pm

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 4  

I remember seeing Mark Buckingham signing a Miracle Man issue for a fan and he was genuinely delighted to see it. He said it'd been years since he'd seen one.

One incident the guy giving the autograph will remember fondly...

I got a signed sketch of Bigby Wolf off him.

(A genuinely nice guy to meet too)

Matthew Chartrand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 5  

I have photo of the moon signed by James Lovell.

A book signed by Michael Connelly.

A book signed by Orson Scott Card.

And several Islamic pamphlets signed by Muhamed Ali.

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 1:22am | IP Logged | 6  

X-MEN #1 by Jim Lee. When he was living in Italy, I was at a comic fair with some friends, and they told me "Hey, Jim Lee!". "Oh, sure. Now every oriental guy with a drawing board is Jim Lee." Actually, that was really him...

A GENERATIONS 2 page by JB. I bought it already signed two years ago, but I always hope I'll meet him so I will have further autographs.

BONE COLOR TRADE #1 by Jeff Smith. Last year the color reprint started in Italy, and he came at a comics fair to introduce this new edition. He made me an autograph and a sketch, but It wasn't easy! The guy at the stand told us that only few lucky readers could have an autograph. After a long war between us and this guy, we readers won ans Jeff Smith accepted to sign our books. Actually, he was really glad to do it... But ignoring our language, he didn't know what that annoying guy was doing with us!

A Dago Sketch by Carlos Gomez. It was at the same comics fair mentioned above with Smith. He made a conference, then it was told us that we could have autographs and sketches, but there wasn't so much time. I asked if I could be the firts 'cause I had to catch the train. "Make me a Dago with a proud face, please". "Done. Sorry if it's not very detailed, but there's not a lot of time".
Heck, used to read American comics drawn by primadonnas superstars, a man like Mr. Gomez is extremely rare for me. He made a nice artwork for me, and he was sorry because he couldn't do more! We,,, I'm talking about a man who draws 12 pages a week.

I have other autographs, but no interesting stories for them.

Edited by Francesco Vanagolli on 16 July 2007 at 1:22am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 7  

but no interesting stories for them

I have one interesting story. A fan was getting a Two Face mini series that was half drawn by Jae Lee and half drawn by Sean Philips signed by Sean Philips. Anyway, this fan was a bit of a know-it-all and insisted that DC had divided the art chores for some sort of symbolic, story orientated reason (Two Faces I suppose) but Philips shot him down "he couldn't finish on time so they fired him and got me". "but DC..." "fired" "but I heard.." "No. They fired him"

(another nice guy to meet - though he teased me that he knew the new DD creative team and wouldn't say who, should have been a hint it was Brubaker).

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 8  

When I was a little kid, and my idol was Batman, Aka: Adam West, I went to see him at an appearance at a car show. This was the early 70's and he was still wearing the costume at his appearances. Well, I waited in the long line of other anxious kiddies and when it was time to go up on stage and meet him, I chickened out and ran. My mom came through for me though. She got Batman's attention and told him the score, so Batman picks up the mic and starts calling for me over the PA. I was hiding amongst the crowd, and Batman was calling my name, so I wasn't about to go up there after that. Mom got the the autograph for me though. I met Mr. West years later and shook his hand, telling him I had wanted to do that for a long time.

Some snaps we took that day. Yes, Batman had a bodyguard. Kids asked him where Robin was. "He's on a top secret mission, for me." Kids asked where the Batmobile was ( To be expected, this was a fancy car show after all!). It was being "modified and upgraded", or some such story. Still a great day even though I got so anxious about meeting my idol, I couldn't actually go through with it. Give me a break, I was like 7!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Barker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 9  

Hmmm, a fun story is one where I was going to the All Star game in Cincinnati in 89 or 90-I don't remember, but as I was walking under Riverfront stadium I saw Chris Sabo getting out of his car (I was  a huge Sabo fan). I had Sabo sign my all star ticket-he signed it gladly although he was in a rush. Later  I proceeded to start chanting "Sabo" (to my Dad's embarrassment) later in the game..I kept chanting it until other people did and soon the entire stadium was chanting, and Tommy LaSorda begrudgingly put him in as a pinch runner and Sabo stole a base...I'm not saying I got him in the game, but I like to think so.

Some of the fun items I have are..
An issue of Superman signed by JB, Mignola, and PC Russell.
Dr Doom/Dr Strange Hardcover signed by Mignola and Stern.
Bucky O'Hare signed by Larry Hama and Michael Golden.
Marvels hardcover signed by Busiek and Ross.
Arthur Adams Signed Monkeyman and O'Brien poster.
Sergio Aragones  Signed Groo Graphic Novel...
Bernie Wrightson House of Secrets #92
Walt Simonson signed a Disney adventures digest for me--waiting for the A. Adams signature for the set.

Then I have some actors..notably...
Ben Browder
Claudia Black
David Wenham
Gigi Edgley
Anthony Simcoe
Virginia Hey

Andy Ihnatko
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 10  

When I was a freshman in college, Graham Chapman was doing a lecture tour of universities talking about his days in Python and his then-current adventures with the Dangerous Sports Club. As a lifelong Python fan, of course I went to hear the lecture and of course I waited in the auditorium later to say hi and get an autograph.

But I didn't plan this very well: the only thing I had on me was my Calculus textbook. So I had him sign it. The endpapers had one of those dry and wheezy "Timeline Of Mathematics" on it, with a couple of dozen portraits of great mathematicians. "Oh!" Chapman said, when I opened the book. "Where's Gauss? I must sign underneath Gauss!" His favorite mathematician from his schooldays.

Five years or so later, John Cleese was on a book tour. I plucked the textbook off the shelf and had him sign it, telling him the story of Graham's reaction. He smiled and signed under his favorite.

Every couple of years I'd have another opportunity and another opportunity to get another Python signature. Finally, it was down to Eric Idle and Terry Jones. Idle came through town on his Greedy Bastard tour: done! In fact, when he saw the book his eyes went wide.

"I've HEARD of this! You really have everybody in here?"

I told him that nope, I still needed his signature and Terry's.

He happily chose a mathematician ("Which was the guy who died before he could write down his famous theorem?") and then ratted out Jones, telling me the next couple of times he'd be in the States and where.

I did finally complete the Python Codex (as my friends came to refer to it). And in the best possible way: Jones and I had a mutual friend (sadly since deceased) and finally I felt that nobody was getting any younger and that I would have to ask for the favor of an introduction. So the next time I was in London, Jones was kind enough to meet me in his club. He completed the Codex and we wound up drinking and talking for almost a whole hour.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andyi/1560707/

Autographs can often seem silly, but the Codex is a fairly cool object and it's a document of the times I got to tell each of these men how much I've enjoyed their work.

Edited by Andy Ihnatko on 16 July 2007 at 11:07am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 11  

I love that story, Andy!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 12  

Dave, that is a really cool story. I'd have loved to seen West in the outfit. I probably would have run as well.

Andy, your story is by far the best.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version