Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Horror Comics (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2007 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 1  

Thom Price, that Black Forest comic looks very cool! Thank you for sharing those images.

Steve Ogden, I cherish those Berni Wrighton Master of the Macbre reprints very much. Gosh, I loved those PC titles.

Speaking of Berni Wrightson, does anyone remember his story from EPIC magazine, 'The Potty's Over'? I've yet to see that reprinted anywhere. I have scanned the entire story for digital prosperity. Good stuff.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bruce Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2007 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 2  

I always was a big fan of the horror anthology titles - things like House of Mystery from D.C. and Beyond the Grave and Ghost Manor from Charlton.

The Charlton comics were particularly cool, since you never knew if you would get a Steve Ditko story. It seemed kind of strange, seeing the co-creator of Spder-Man doing largely anonymous work on a low-budget horror comic. But to me, that was part of Charlton's charm. Had it been a slicker, more professional-looking, company, I doubt it would've had the same appeal.

I also was a big fan of the "I...Vampire" stories that appeared at the end of the House of Mystery run. It was different, as it was a serialized story in what had been an anthology of single-shot stories. But I loved it.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2007 at 11:47pm | IP Logged | 3  

Back to Top profile | search

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2007 at 11:54pm | IP Logged | 4  

Dennis Calero
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2007 at 11:54pm | IP Logged | 5  

"How many titles are published each month, by all publishers? How many of those are horror? "

Don't know.  I know that quite a few of the top selling titles are horror related: Walking Dead and 30 Days of Night and it's sequels all do well.

Marvel Zombies did very well.

So I wouldn't call the genre dead.

Edited by Dennis Calero on 18 June 2007 at 11:55pm

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2007 at 12:17am | IP Logged | 6  

I would say that horror is the second most popular genre in comics (after super-heroes). Although it is a distant second place.

Off the top of my head...

Marvel has BLADE, HELLSTORM, ANITA BLAKE, and MARVEL ZOMBIES

DC has NIGHTMARE ON ELMSTREET, TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE, FRIDAY THE 13th, HELLBLAZER, and probably some other Vertigo stuff I'm forgetting.

There's THE WALKING DEAD at IMAGE (and maybe SPAWN?)

There's HACK/SLASH, ARMY OF DARKNESS and CHUCKIE (from CHILD'S PLAY) from uuuhhh...I wanna say DYNAMITE.

Most of IDW's line is horror related, most prominately the 30 DAYS OF NIGHT stuff.

And at least 15 or 20 other books shelved in the same area is WALKING DEAD and 30 DAYS OF NIGHT at my LCS.

Once you step past the Big Two (or really just Marvel), horror is a pretty healthy genre. Now westerns and war comics....

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2007 at 1:59am | IP Logged | 7  

Walking Dead sells quite well in bookstrores! It's a constant presence in Bookscan lists (Brian Hibbs puts them every year in Newsarama, check them!) and the US edition fairly easy to find in a lot of portuguese bookstores - more so than any Marvel/DC series!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version