Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Horror Comics (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 June 2007 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 1  

"I'm really surprised that horror comics aren't more common and popular today.  I"

+++

???  Horror comics are actually very popular.

How many titles are published each month, by all publishers? How many of those are horror?

Back to Top profile | search

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2007 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 2  

There're some in Vertigo and in Indies i think, but out of the Essentials & Showcases the horror tittles as they existed some decenies ago aren't here anymore.

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 16 June 2007 at 11:18am

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2007 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 3  

I do see a what seems like a lot of Indie published zombie books.
For some reason, Zombies power is strong.

Michael Connell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2007 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 4  

JB if the 60's & 70's style of horror comics were to ever come back into fashion, would you want to write or pencil one?

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2007 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 5  

I remember reading Creatures That Roam and Where Monsters Dwell. That was my first introduction to those stories from Tales of Suspense, Tales to Astonish, and Strange Tales. I really wish that Marvel would reprint those in the Essential form.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Mayer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2007 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 6  

I love some of those old horror comics.  I didn't realize that there was a Showcase for House of Mystery.  I will have to check that out.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2007 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 7  

Avatar publishes horror comics every month. Devil's Due also. They're drawn like crap because I think they don't pay their artists. One guy I know is awesome and did work for them and rushed 75% of it cause they never paid him anything. They're also pretty gory. There's like 20092019 zombie comics you can buy in full color right now.

Wildstorm has Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street. They were meant to be ongoings but they've switched to minis cause they aren't selling. Both are gory. Though well, these days gore in comics isn't hard to find...

Edited by Martin Redmond on 16 June 2007 at 12:57pm

Michael Connell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2007 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 8  

I prefer spooky stories over gory stories any day of the week.

Michael Connell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2007 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
I didn't realize that there was a Showcase for House of Mystery.  I will have to check that out.

There are two volumes of Showcase Presents House of Mystery out so far Brian.

Chris Durnell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2007 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 10  

Dark Horse, Boom Studios, and Oni all put out horror comics or quasi-horror (horror mixed with other genres).  Hellboy, BPRD, and the Goon are published by Dark Horse.  Boom Studios has produced various one shots and limited series.  Oni published the Marquis by Guy Davis.  Slave Labor Graphics produces several "pop goth" series.  Gloomcookie by Serena Valentino and various projects by Ted Naifeh (like the various Courtney Crumrin books).  Neither are strictly horror, but use a lot of the tropes and setting.  "Dark Fantasy" may be a better term.

I think what killed horror comics in the 70s and 80s are that most horror comics stayed very close to the old versions of monsters - Dracula wearing a cape, the Universal monsters - while horror in literature and movies were much more innovative.  Anne Rice was changing the way vampires were depicted, Steven King was doing interesting things with the genre, and Hollywood moved on to slasher movies.  Comics, however, appeared to stay stuck in the past.

Later on, when Marvel and DC began to be more innovative in horror, their publsihed comics suffered from the curse of being too tied into their superhero universe.  While the "Horror Hero" (Spectre, Ghost Rider, etc) is an old favorite of the genre, horror elements have to be presented in a very specific way so it does not overturn the flavor of superheroes.  Thus the horror itself is subverted.

As an example, let's look at Cthon and the Darkhold in the Marvel Universe.  That has a very horror feel, but when the Avengers can show up and beat them, it undermines the terror of Cthon opposed to the way Cthulhu would be treated in stories about the Cthulhu Mythos.  Integrating the 70s horror titles into the mainstream Marvel Universe just did not work out well.

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2007 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 11  

The original versions of the horror monster, the Wolf Man/Dracula/Frankenstein trinity, is some of the most powerful iconic imagery known to man, in any decade. Marvel was supremely smart in "Marvelizing" the Universal Monsters without losing what made them so popular to begin with.

MONSTER OF FRANKENSTEIN suffered, like Marvel's TARZAN, from being too willing to be literal with the material. Using the Frankenstein Monster within the context of a changing millenium would have been much cooler than throwing him into the 1970s, after people weren't riveted by the Monster's adventures in old Transyltucky.

WEREWOLF BY NIGHT was fantastic, but suffered from the restriction of trying to have every plot point center on the three days when the moon is full, per month. This plagued the Hulk comic until Stan Lee gave up on that Banner by day, Hulk by night thing. Jack Russell should have transformed into the Werewolf  by other means, in order to save the stories from creaky plotting.

MAN-THING by Steve Gerber is flat out brilliant, as was his TALES OF THE ZOMBIE, which I considered both the premiere horror comics of the decade, better even than TOMB OF DRACULA.

Others:

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 June 2007 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 12  

Tomb of Dracula is by far my favorite horror comic of all time.

I also like to occasionally read reprints of Tales From the Crypt and other EC horror titles from the 50s.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version