Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Can Superman break adamantium? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Aren't terms like "unbreakable" and "immovable" highly subjective? By that, I mean that unless god or something similar said, "Adamantium is unbreakable," we only know that it is based on the fact that no one can break it -- until someone can.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John C. Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

How exactly didn't that trick work? Wolverine was taken completely out of the fight and he would have probably died had he not been rescued by the Starjammers.

Also, I think I remember he was thrown into orbit. I doubt he could survive escape velocity or that he could possibly endure in space.

dude i was joking,..sheesshhh!!!!!!

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

At certain temperatures and pressures adamantium must be breakable. Otherwise there would be no way to forge it into weapons and armor.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Well, Firestorm or the Molecule Man probably would have no trouble doing something to it.
Back to Top profile | search

John C. Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Well, Firestorm or the Molecule Man probably would have no trouble doing something to it
don't forget Element Lad

Frank Robert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

> I like how there's a post showing an example of adamantium being broken, followed by a post stating that it cannot be broken.

The original entry in the Handbook said both that (paraphrased) "once set, only a molecular reorganizer can change its shape/break it/whatever it" and that "a substantial mass of adamantium could withstand a direct hit from a nuclear bomb."  The handbook also said that Captain America's shield is stronger than adamantium, if I recall correctly -- and so it goes.  And even that thing has been broken: Once by an errant blast by the Beyonder; the other time, by a mighty whack from Odin-powered Thor.  Both merely physical attacks, as far as I can tell.

I take "unbreakable" the same way I do "unstoppable," "unlimited," "infinite" and other such terms in comics: With a bag of salt.  If a bomb went off that annihilated the universe -- all suns, planets, black holes, etc. -- would Wolverine's skeleton remain?  I don't think so.  Everything has its limit.  Whether Superman's strength can exceed the limit of adamantium -- is anyone's guess.

There have been in-continuity instances of characters breaking adamantium.  Supposedly, Marvel put out a memo to writers that retconned all such instances as instances of secondary adamantium being broken -- but that isn't actually part of any comic, so it's apocryphal, I think.  Before and after this "retcon," it has been stated that certain characters have the power, or potential power, to break adamantium (like Cyclops, for instance, I believe).

Most recently, Iron Man ripped through a clone of his suit that was coated in adamantium.  And, seven or so years ago, during a Superman/Fantastic Four crossover, Superman took a lazer (paraphrased) "powerful enough to cut adamatium," according to young Franklin Richards, without even flinching.

_Frank Robert

Edited by Frank Robert on 11 June 2007 at 1:35pm

Thomas Fels
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

If you can form a shield (or any object) of a material, could the material be unbreakable?

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The thing is -- in a work-for-hire universe, the editor in chief IS god. If there's an editorial edict handed down that Adamantium is absolutely unbreakable, then it is. If editorial decides that "just this once, it's breakable" then that is true. That it should have REMAINED unbreakable to prevent abuse, well I can see the argument for that.

It's always the case with rules like these that there's at least ONE guy who comes along and starts needling away at the rule, arguing that an exception can be made for him (and only him.) It gives them validation as "Original" (no one has ever broken adamantium before!) and crowns them as winners of a "pissing contest."

I've got nothing against Brubaker, but when not even Bucky is "Bucky dead" anymore, that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Just as an example of a similar thing. (No one has ever resurrected Bucky before!)

Michael Connell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

QUOTE:
(No one has ever resurrected Bucky before!)

And in a few years it may be "revealed" that the Winter Soldier was a Bucky clone created by the Soviets from the dead Bucky's DNA in a misguided attempt to learn the secrets of the Super-Soldier Formula. (Which Bucky never received).

Charles Jensen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Thomas, the key to that question is that adamantium doesn't become unbreakable until it solidifies. Think of it like a chemical or nuclear reaction, once it occurs something new is created and it can't be reversed.

I think another interesting question is, if adamantium is unbreakable then why does it matter what thickness it is? Why aren't Wolverine's claws paper thin? Why does it take a significant quantity to withstand a nuclear explosion? This implies that there is a limit to it's strength. Just like titanium, if thinned enough it could be punctured easily. If Superman can move planets I don't see how he could not be able to easily break or bend any metal. At least any metal not impregnated with kryptonite.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Aren't terms like "unbreakable" and "immovable" highly subjective?

In the real world, yes. In superhero comics, no. At least, they should not be.

Michael Connell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 4:34pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

QUOTE:
If Superman can move planets I don't see how he could not be able to easily break or bend any metal.

Superman hasn't been powerful enough to move planets since the first crisis.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version