Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Can Superman break adamantium? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2007 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

From the Offical Handbook of the Marvel Universe:

Weapons: Captain America's only weapon is his shield, a concave disk 2.5 feet in diameter, weighing 12 pounds. It is made of a unique Vibranium-Adimantium alloy that has never been duplicated. The Shield was cast by American metallurgist Dr. Myron MacLain, who was contracted by the U.S. government to create an impenetrable substance to use for tanks during World War II. During his experiments, MacLain combined Vibranium with an Adamantium-steel alloy he was working with and created the disc-shaped shield. MacLain was never able to duplicate the process due to his inability identify a still unknown factor that played a role in it. The shield was awarded to Captain America by the government several months after the beginning of his career.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2007 at 11:37pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think things were clarified after the Handbook came out. The shield is a vibranium-steel alloy. Adamantium was created in an attempt to recreate the shield.

Kurt Anderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2007 at 11:39pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I like how there's a post showing an example of adamantium being broken, followed by a post stating that it cannot be broken.

Dave Powell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2007 at 11:42pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Again reaching into the Guardians of the Galaxy future, when Vance's Adamantium lined suit is breached, one of the Guardians exclaimed "But adamantium is the strongest metal known" and unbreakable which was refuted by another Guardian.... claiming "Dargonite" was the new strongest material.  To claim adamantium is unbreakable would be kind of ridiculous, pretty sure any Celestial would play with it like it was silly putty, ditto to Galactus.  It's just the strongest thing going right now, and impervious to any earthly damage. 

Back on topic though, Superman does not beat Adamantium, and of course Triangle Man beats Particle Man.

Edited by Dave Powell on 09 June 2007 at 11:43pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2007 at 11:50pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Michael, regarding that OHOTMU entry, was this the same "Element X" that played such a pivotal role in the creation of the Powerpuff Girls, I wonder...?

Edited by Brian Hague on 10 June 2007 at 12:02am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2007 at 12:02am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Superman most likely cannot break adamantium on a normal day, in an average set of circumstances.  It is "unbreakable." That's it's given. If it became necessary for Superman to shatter it, to save a life or prevent something catastrophic from occuring, somehow, he'd find a way to do so... He'd find some method of combining in a third resin, thereby altering its properties or draw the material backwards along it's own timeline until it's components separated... Somehow, he'd do what needed to be done.

I thought Arnold Drake established Vance Astro's spacesuit was made of copper, and therefore, extremely vulnerable.  Did he pick up a new suit in the later Guardians series, Dave?

Does anyone else picture Guy Gardner as Triangle Man? And Peter Parker as Person Man?

Dave Powell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2007 at 12:12am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yes, Martinex fixed him up with a room he could take his suit off in, and a new suit with adamantium foil.  Then he lost the suit and started dressing a little like Captain America, then he gained a "venom" suit, and then they got cancelled.

I picture Eternity as "Universe Man"

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2007 at 1:42am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Thanks, Dave! I've seen covers showing Astro in his Cap costume ala' Valentino, but I didn't realize there was an interim adamantium suit as well. A "venom" suit? Hm.  The recycling of Marvel tropes gets a bit wearying at times... Still, I can see how it may have worked in context...

Good call on "Universe Man!"

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2007 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

If I were Superman I would swoop in Super speed style and toss wolverine into space.... END
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jacob P Secrest
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2007 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

No.

Adamantium is unbreakable.

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2007 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

QUOTE:
Michael, regarding that OHOTMU entry, was this the same "Element X" that played such a pivotal role in the creation of the Powerpuff Girls, I wonder...?

That was Chemical X.

John C. Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2007 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

QUOTE:
If I were Superman I would swoop in Super speed style and toss wolverine into space.... END

didn't Jaffe the guardian of the M'kran crystal try that all ready??

to quote Rocket J. Squirrel: "that trick never works"

Edited by John C. Harrison on 10 June 2007 at 12:15pm

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version