Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Can Superman break adamantium? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2007 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Wolverine's claws couldn't cut Superman. Wolverine isn't strong enough.

While Adamantium may be unbreakable (and JBs definition makes sense - in fiction if a metal is unbreakable, it can very well be ABSOLUTELY unbreakable. ) Superman is invulnerable.  The claws are sharp, but not sharp enough to somehow pass BETWEEN Superman's invulnerable skin cells. I suppose in a hypothetical situation where a kryptonian supervillain like General Zod tore off Wolverine's arm and tried to stab Superman with the claws using super strength he might break the skin. Just like you can stab a regular guy with a plastic spoon and with some luck break the skin.

Back to Top profile | search

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2007 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Knut, you hit right on the the "point" I was wondering about!  I knew Logan wouldn't have the raw, brute strength to slash Superman's skin, but I was wondering about that almost infinitely fine, sharp point at the tip of the claw, and whether it would be tiny enough to initiate a cut on some microscopic level or something.  I suppose though, if that were the case, you could make the case that Wolverine could slice *anything*, even another piece of adamantium, or Captain America's shield, and that would be just beyond ridiculous.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2007 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Can Superman break adamantium?"
---
No.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Van Glidden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2007 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yes...but only after Wolverine beats Lobo.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2007 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Isn't Superman's invulnerability something of a force-field in nature? Sharp
or not, Wolverine would need a way to push an object thru resistant
energy.

Thomas Walling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2007 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Does the DC universe have an equivalent "unbreakable" metal?

I thought DC had (not sure of the spelling) Prometheum. Does anyone else remember anything about this?

Daren Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2007 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Superman is invulnerable.  The claws are sharp, but not sharp enough to somehow pass BETWEEN Superman's invulnerable skin cells.

---

I think Knut got it right. The only difference between butter and steel is the tightness of the molecules. Superman would be able to control the density and tightness of his skin cells.

Heres a Wolverine question I've often pondered:  Dr. MacClain, who works for the U.S. govt., is the only person who knows the formula for Adamantium. If this is so, then how did Wolverine, or "Project X", a Canandian super-soldier, end up with an Adamantium skeleton and claws?

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2007 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

DC Promethium had two types. A sort of "nuclear fuel type" that gave off energy and was used in super science power plants and weirdly mutation experiments. It was kind of a stand in for Plutonium only more dramatic and rare. They also had promethium alloys and structural metals that were really strong but did not shoot off power willy nilly like the power-plant Promethium did. While stuff constructed from non-energetic Promethium was extremely tough it was not what you'd call indestructable.

DC kind of forgot about Promethium, probably when some one pointed out that there is already a real (synthetic) element called Promethium that really has niether of those properties. (Pm 61). Well it is a Lanthanide and therefore radioactive but it's not some high intensity super -fuel sort of thing.

Edited by Emery Calame on 09 June 2007 at 5:33pm

John C. Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2007 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

QUOTE:
So, as noted, if we establish an "unbreakable" metal, like adamantium, lazy writers will immediately start breaking it. This became such a problem at Marvel, in fact, that eventually it had to be established that true adamantium was an extremely rare commodity, and all these island-spanning domes and the like that got shattered when the need arose were actually a lesser grade, not pure, and therefore not indestructible.

glad you brought that up JB because if i remember so in the 90's Guardians of the Galaxy book, one of Wolverine's decendents actually carried around one of his broken off claws. i don't remember how it was explained how it came to be.
but i do remember that it was either during the Martian invasion *War of the Worlds* or sometime after Magneto had led a group of surviving Mutants away
from Earth after the War.

Dave Powell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2007 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Wolverine's claw was broken off by the Gladiator of the Shiar Imperial Guard, in Guardians of the Galaxy future.  Which implies Superman could do it, BUT then maybe not, because Gladiator was 90 percent mental, and just mimics the powers that Superman has, right?

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2007 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

No, because adamantium is unbreakable by definition. 

Kevin Pierce
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2007 at 11:08pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Wait I thought Captain American's shield was the only pure form of Adamantium and Wolverine's Claws were a lesser grade, is this true?

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version