Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: OT, Steve Ditko documentary on BBC4 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Quesada:

Losing Alec Ditko could have been catastrophic for Marvel in its infancy.

"Alec" Ditko?

I kid you not: listen to part 4 of 7, in the first 12 seconds.

So, the EIC of Marvel Characters can't remember that it's "STEVE" Ditko and not "ALEC" Ditko.

Sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to Top profile | search

Mike Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 10:02pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

To my ear he says, "losing a guy like Ditko"

Corey Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Pretty damn cool.

It's nice to see "modern" creators being so respectful of Ditko as well.

A little disappointed that Stan can't fully bring himself to share credit Steve though.

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 10:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I listened to it again and he sounds like he's vocalizing two syllables "ah-lek" ... guess it could "guy-lek" but it's not "a-guy-like" which is three syllables.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, however.

I enjoyed the doc ... was surprised by Stan's admission and then his frankness is wishing he'd never said it.

I can see where Stan could be coming from, though. He jealously protects and defends his contribution probably because he's been so damnably dependent on artists to bring life into them.

He might not be sole creator but he's at least the initiator -- or co-initiator as Kirby brought him the idea first as a Harvey re-package.

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 21 September 2007 at 11:05pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Listening to my off-air recording, Quesada is definitely saying "a guy like Ditko". He does say it quickly and the words run into each other so I can understand how you might have misheard it.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2007 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Just got through watching it on newsfromme.com and thought Jonathan Ross did a pretty good job overall with this show.  Really enjoyed it, and thought he treated everything with a great respect.  Too bad Steve Ditko doesn't want to toot his own horn, but I just hope he does appreciate how much everyone enjoys his creations.

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2007 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I have the feeling that Ditko might be visited by more admirers on a prilgrimage.

He might not be out for money, but he's certainly interested in knowing that he did good in the end.

Did you notice the lovelight in Ross and Gaiman's eyes? They were like schoolgirls who'd just got to chat with their bedroom-poster idol.

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2007 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Wonderfully done. Thanks very much to Chris and Rob for providing those links, and whoever posted them to youTube. I wonder if Steve will ever see that? Does he even have a tv or media player? I assume Ross would be sending him a copy anyway. I never knew Ross was such a comics fan until this was brought to my attention. That's great. If he's done other stuff as well produced as this, I'd love to see it. Does a show like that really draw an audience in the UK because Ross is such a star there? It would seem to me to only appeal to the hardcore comics fans out there, rather than a general audience.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2007 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Had a chance to digest the show and have been doing some serious thinking about the one issue of Spider-Man that they spotlighted, ASM #33.  I've never read it so it was a revelation to me.  Talk about powerful story telling that only can be done with comics.  Never really thought about it that way before. It's almost a crime to have the words. 
The other thing I was thinking about was Stan Lee's definition of creation.  I think that it was mainly a difference of semantics.  Seems like Stan Lee thought that because he thought of the name Spider-Man that he created him, where as Steve Ditko feels that because he was the image maker that he deserves co-creator status.  I feel that he does, no question, but I can see things from Stan's perspective also.  Very interesting the different views.

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2007 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Steve Ditko was much more than Spider-Man's image maker, he was the co-plotter and for the end of his run the sole plotter.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 22 September 2007 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I thought the piece was nicely done. Good interviews from all involved.

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2007 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I agree Ditko deserves co-creator status of Spider-Man/Peter Parker, because he designed the look of the character and probably added a lot of bits to his characterization too, as Stan has said. Co-plotting and plotting the stories as they went on doesn't bolster his case much in my mind though, because after AF #15, the "creation" of Spider-Man was already done. All the supporting characters and villians that came along after that first issue, Steve has much more "creation" input, I'm sure. He's probably the outright creator of lots of them, just like Dr. Strange. It does seem to be a matter of semantics in this case, but that kind of argument probably holds very little water with Steve's objectivist views. Black/white, A is A, etc.  This co-creator thing goes for lots of the other characters Stan created or co-created with Jack et al, but if he wants to believe he's the "creator" of lots of them because he came up with the initial idea, I have no problem with that. Stan is the man. Kirby is the King. Ditko is the ... what is Ditko? He's great, and he deserves a lot fo credit for Marvel Comics creative burst in the 60's.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version