Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: OT, Steve Ditko documentary on BBC4 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2007 at 1:13am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

[quote]Yes, from the documentary it is clear that when pressed to clarify, Stan feels he alone is the creator ("the guy that came up with the idea")[quote]

I'm fine with what Stan said in the special.

Yes. Of course Ditko co-created Spider-Man with him. There is no doubt of that.

Both Ditko and Kirby contributed enormously to the Marvel Universe. It is because of the direct influence that Marvel produced some of the most endearing characters ever created. Without them, the Marvel we know would be a different entity. Perhaps wouldn't have endured as it had done.

But there would absolutely not be a Marvel without Stan Lee. He may have used wonderful architects to build the place, but it all started with him.

So I think that he's entitled to some arrogance because of that. And I say that as someone who believes Kirby is one of the most brilliant artists this industry produced.
Back to Top profile | search

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2007 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Very interesting article.  I wonder if Steve Ditko will only be posthumously honored or if he will receive his due timely.

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2007 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I think among knowledgeable comic fans, Steve Ditko is honored as the Co-creator of Spider-Man.  It would be nice if Marvel would do it formally in their books.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Gordon Somers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2007 at 2:07am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

And that, Brad, is why I think Stan has been very careful in choosing his words with "always considered". He isn't Marvel. He has no influence over the powers in place there any more really does he? I'm sure if he did that co-creator credit would be there on all the books started by him and Ditko or Kirby. I respect his opinion on the creation of Spider-Man, in some ways agree. However (and really does Stan disagree here?) Steve Ditko more than merits a co-creation credit for coming up with the whole look of the character and for his contribution to the book during his tenure on it. But I understand Stan's comments. After all, we didn't see a host of fans crying foul when Marv Wolfman tried to sue Marvel over Blade and didn't mention Gene Colan's right to ownership (who designed the look of Blade, folks)? After all Marv was filing this for himself. Ah the hypocrisy of comics fans...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2007 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I don't know about anyone else, but I think Gene Colan is the co-creator of Blade.  I think generally the person who designs the costume always warrants co-creator credit.

At any rate, it's quite likely Ditko contributed more than just the costume.   He tells us the initial idea was a teenage character called Spider-Man who lived with his aunt and uncle, used a magic ring, had a web gun, and gained his powers from a scientist.  Ditko says he came up with the idea of web-shooters, and implies he might have come up with the idea of the crawling on walls power (though that is unclear from his piece).  Who decided to discard the ring and web gun?  Who decided to change the uncle's personality to the familiar Uncle Ben we know?  Who came up with the twist about Uncle Ben being killed by the thief who Spider-Man let go?  Who came up with the idea of being bitten by a radioactive spider?  We don't know, but given the story was done Marvel style it's possible Ditko came up with some (or even all) of these ideas.

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2007 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This concept of "creation" gets really muddy if you parse it too deeply.

If I'm a writer and I tell you (the artist) that the hero's costume is red and black (blue in print) and covered in webbing, and you bring me back a drawing, did I create the costume or did you? It never existed in reality until you drew it, but I had it in my mind before you laid pencil to paper.

Does my claim as creator get any stronger if I send your first couple of drawings back, saying you've got it wrong, or asking for changes? After all, your multiple efforts are only in an effort to better realize my vision.

Vygotski wrote "a thought unembodied in words remains a shadow." I'd suggest a comic book creation no matter how detailed in verbage is but a shadow until it is given form through art.

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2007 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think he is co-creator as Jack Kirby is on FF and Bill Everett is on Daredevil.

There seems little doubt that Ditko created Dr. Strange.

He should get credit for that.

I wonder how much Marvel would have to pay in back dated royalties if Ditko decided he wanted them.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 02 October 2007 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

These are a few rhetorical questions I've wondered. Does Marvel or DC send Ditko royalty checks for when they reprint his work? Does he accept them? I'm talking about the standard royalty checks that they give any creator when they sell reprints of their work. With the past year Marvel reprinted his Amazing Spider-Man in the Omnibus HC and in the weekly Sunday paper. DC reprinted his classic Charlton heroes work in Archive form.  I'm not saying it is a windfall, but does he get some money for this?

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm trying to watch the documentary using the youtube links -- but they don't seem to be working...?

Help? Info?

Thanks! :)

Gerry Turnbull
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Nathan,

http://www.dograt.com/category/cartooning/comic-books/in-sea rch-of-steve-ditko/page/2/

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

You da man, Gerry!

Michael Retour
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2008 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Has anyone purchased the new Blake Bell book on Ditko?  Is it any good?

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version