Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 376 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Figurine Collection Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2011 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

EM just posted 10 more on their site...count me in for Moondragon, Toad, Puppermaster, Karnak, and Captain Marvel finally done right.

Link

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 August 2011 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Received the Destiny figure today from MidTown Comics. Nicely done, tho I made the mistake of flipping thru the accompanying booklet. So much shoved into and smeared onto the character since she left my control -- altho even while she was still "mine" things happened I did not plan. Never will understand why Chris made her an old lady! Is that really what he saw when her saw the character for the first time. Didn't like that he swiped her name from Sherlock Holmes, either.

Ah, well! This is the price we pay for playing in a "shared universe"!

Keith Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2011 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Ha, I remember reading your run in back issues after reading what the character was turned into and wondering why Destiny was drawn so young :)

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2011 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Claremont seems to have a thing for immortal characters. I recall he placed the Black Widow in the WWII era as a prophecy child the Hand was seeking to corrupt. Prior to this, if I'm correct, there had been no mention of Natasha being anything aside from a finely trained and capable assassin/ adventurer.

The implication with Destiny, I believe, was that she was Holmes' Irene Adler, still relatively young and vital today. Not only does Claremont then get to work with the most formidable woman in Holmes' canon, but Mystique gets bumped up in respectability and power by being the woman such a literary figure would select as her lover.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2011 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Just picked up Sauron today. A well done sculpt .Looks great.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2011 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Just noticed on the figurine forum that three of the final four figures in the next expansion have been announced:

Shaman
Stingray
Wolfsbane

Glad to see Shaman included!  Here's hoping they do him justice.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 September 2011 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The Alpha Flight figures have been hit and miss. Good Sasquatch and Puck, lousy Guardian. Good Northstar and Aurora, crummy Snowbird.

Hm. Looks like PAIRS fare better than single figures. Perhaps if they were doing Shaman and Talisman as a set. . . !!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 September 2011 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The implication with Destiny, I believe, was that she was Holmes' Irene Adler, still relatively young and vital today.

••

Which, of course, runs counter to canon. Holmes dealt with the real world. Sometimes it started out looking like something else -- as with the Hound of the Baskervilles or the Sussex vampire -- but by the end normalcy was restored. Usually thru Holmes' actions.

For some reason, those who have translated Holmes into other media have all too often felt the need to inject super-science or the supernatural.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2011 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

They'd probably go with the newer, sexed up version of Elizabeth, though.  Boobies spilling out everywhere. Why comic book women can't be all shapes and sizes (especially of modest bust size) is beyond me. 

(And I just did a Google image search for Miss Twoyoungmen.  Not a good idea.)

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2011 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Blog update!  Shaman, Stingray and Wolfsbane confirmed after voting on the figurine forum.  The contest to pick the last figure in the extension will start in the next week.

Great looking Hammerhead!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 14 September 2011 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Love the character.  Love the sculpt.  I'll be on the lookout for it when it's released.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 September 2011 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

They'd probably go with the newer, sexed up version of Elizabeth, though. Boobies spilling out everywhere. Why comic book women can't be all shapes and sizes (especially of modest bust size) is beyond me.

(And I just did a Google image search for Miss Twoyoungmen. Not a good idea.)

••

What troubles me more, sometimes, than the seemingly inevitable increase in bust measurements, is when I give a character a distinctive face -- Heather Hudson, Elizabeth Twoyoungmen, Maggie Sawyer, etc -- and five minutes after I let go of the character she looks like everybody else.

Even when the face is not all that distinctive -- Jean Grey, for instance -- later artists all too often show a tendency to say "This is how / draw women!" and ignore what has gone before.

<< Prev Page of 376 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version