Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 376 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Figurine Collection Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 March 2010 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Saw a few of these at Emerald City Comicon today. 

I can see how addictive these things can be, because I was suddenly tempted to pick up the Guardian figurine (stopped myself because I was in a hurry to get in Mike Allred's growing autograph line). 

Back to Top profile | search

Thanos Kollias
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2010 at 3:07am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Ryan posted a picture next to War Machine right on the previous page.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2010 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Here's another I pulled off the figurine forum

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2010 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yeah, this clinches it.  Definitely not getting Tigra.  It's a shame, I really like her.

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2010 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Picked up my Tigra and FFF (yay, two characters with tails) and I love them both. Tigra is one of the better female sculpts they've done IMO and FFF is freaking heavy.

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2010 at 10:53pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

New arrivals today.  Machine Man is friggin' awesome!!!  Love the character and love the sculpt.  Black Knight is pretty nifty...Hellcat and Master of Kung-Fu were pretty good too.  All said a pretty solid round today.

I too, noticed the "softening" that JB noticed in the Marvel sculpts lately...but I don't think it's a bad thing.  I think that actually could have helped some of the previous sculpts (Captain America, Iron Man, Rouge, Mr. Fantastic).

Edited by Brad Teschner on 17 March 2010 at 10:53pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 March 2010 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

too, noticed the "softening" that JB noticed in the Marvel sculpts lately...but I don't think it's a bad thing. I think that actually could have helped some of the previous sculpts (Captain America, Iron Man, Rouge, Mr. Fantastic).

••

I don't think you're using that word in the way I meant it, Brad. I was referring to the details becoming "soft" and less well defined.

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2010 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I think I'm in the ballpark with what you meant.  Some of the earlier Marvel figurines, like Cap and Iron Man, seemed to have the details "crammed in."  They looked a bit pinched.  I just get the impression, had they taken a "softer" approach to the sculpt, that the finished product would have been more aesthetically pleasing.

I don't think going soft would work across the board, and I hope that's not the direction the whole line is going to, but I definitely see it in Hellcat & Machine Man, most recently.  The Black Knight figurine is a pretty good example of them not heading that way.  I guess only time will tell.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 March 2010 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think I'm in the ballpark with what you meant. Some of the earlier Marvel figurines, like Cap and Iron Man, seemed to have the details "crammed in." They looked a bit pinched. I just get the impression, had they taken a "softer" approach to the sculpt, that the finished product would have been more aesthetically pleasing.

••

Nope, not what I meant at all. I preferred the earlier sculpts, and did not find the details "crammed in" at all.

The "decline" in the Eaglemoss figures reminds me of something I noticed when I was still collecting diecast metal car models. The ones I got from the Franklin Mint seemed to have harder lines and sharper edges than those that came from the Danbury Mint. Later I found the Fairfield Mint, and they seemed softer still. I began wondering if each company was buying or "inheriting" the molds from the previous, and the molds themselves were losing some of their "snap" as they got older.

This thought was heightened when I found a German company that seemed to have produced some of the models even before the Franklin Mint, and whole cars were even more "crisp".

Arc Carlton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2010 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I like Fing Fang Foom's pose .

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2010 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Black Knight, Hellcat and Machine Man were just delivered.  I love Hellcat's pose and attitude, something they should have channeled with Tigra.  Machine Man is a fun piece.  Black Knight is my favorite, and I'm so happy to have another member of the Stern/Buscema/Palmer Avengers.  With Wasp coming out, now we just need Starfox & Captain Marvel and I'll be a happy camper!

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2010 at 10:09pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I was not a huge fan of Captain Marvel back in the day but now she is one of my favorite Avengers.  I really wish she'd get her name back, though!

<< Prev Page of 376 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version