Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 376 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Figurine Collection Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2008 at 2:39am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I think Xavier in his wheelchair requires a black and yellow Beast...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 May 2008 at 4:12am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Looking back thru this thread I find I made my first purchase on June 23rd
last year -- ten figures to start. The collection now stands at 58, including
three custom jobs. And, of course, the DC addiction has only just begun.

Oh, well -- cheaper than drugs, right?
Back to Top profile | search

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2008 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Talk about 0-60...I made my first purchase through Midtown on April 28th.  Four figs.  In the past three weeks, through both Midtown and (mostly) Ebay, I'm now up to 36 of these little devils...and still going!

Drugs might very well have been a more economic choice for me...though at some point I will be caught up and the financial obligation will go down substantially.  Just a few figs every month or two.

Anyone here in the U.S. ordered directly from the U.K.?  Is it worth it??

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 17 May 2008 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
But what's "classic", Matt? Blue and furry but not catlike? Black and red
skintight costume? Black and yellow school uniform?

Guess it's different for everyone, but what I meant by classic is "blue and furry but not catlike" as he's been through a majority of his history in the MU.  I'd love to see that character get a figurine.  Not a fan at all of the NEW X-MEN kitty cat.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 May 2008 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's difficult to accept that Hank has been blue and furry for by far the
greater span of his career! I suppose, in the case of these figures, I would
cast a vote to have the "Classic" version be the one most representative of
the character, i.e. the way the character has looked the longest.

But I'd still paint Spider-Man's blue parts black!!

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2008 at 4:24pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The characters Eaglemoss put in the Xavier poll on Reaper's site:

Amelia Voght - Don't know this one

Cassandra Nova - Isn't this Xavier's sister or something like that?

Changeling - Not a big name in the MU

Corsair - Ditto

Danger - A new character, flash in pan or here to stay?

Darwin - Don't know this one

Legion - Not a classic that I can see

Lilandra - Has potential

Lucifer - Don't know this one

Moira MacTaggert - Potential, but boring

Sebastian Shaw - Probably the one I'd want the most

Vulcan - Don't know this one either

OK, so they aren't all Morrison/Austen era, but there isn't a single character here I'd want more than a truly classic version of Beast, Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Kitty, Sauron, Blob, Mastermind, Pyro, Avalanche, Toad, Havoc, Black Tom, Thunderbird, Banshee, or Sunfire
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2008 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Amelia Voght is Charles ex-girlfriend. She can turn into gas.

Cassandra is his sister.

Darwin - a secret X-man from a team before the All New X-men who failed on Krakoa

Lucifer crippled Xavier.

Vulcan - a secret X-man, the third Summers brother.

I'd vote for Lilandra.

Steve Reaper
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2008 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Sorry for the long post but I am sure you will all appreciate the effort :-)

As you may know we have a regular Q&A rapport with either Alan Cowsill or Richard Jackson at Eaglemoss.  For those of you who do not know these very kind guys are the editors of the DC and CMFC magazines respectively.  They give me plenty of inside news and use our forum as a sounding board for what they think we need in the collection and use the feedback we send in a constructive way.  Below is the latest set of questions that Nightstar1441 pooled and sent. The responses will be up on my website as soon as they come in. Those from earlier Q&A sessions are on my website.  Cheers  Steve

Hi Richard,

I was asked by Steve (TheGrimReaper) to send off the latest Q&A that members of the forum have put together.  To introduce myself, my name is ******* and I'm better known as Nightstar1441 on the forum.  I want to thank you first, for all the open communication and information you have sent our way.  It cannot be easy being in a position where you deal with the fickleness of collectors on a routine basis but you have not only dealt with it but excelled at it.

Ok here we go:

1. You have probably noticed the buzz about the Abomination and the conversation that the new base has generated. Thank you for explaining the reasoning for the decision attempt this route. Now that you have gauged some of the reaction, would Eaglemoss consider doing other specials like this or are you more inclined to return to the status quo? What has been your reaction to some of the opinions stated about this piece?

2. A suggestion was made about the possibility of 'diorama' pieces to go in addition to the specials. The idea was asked to the community with mixed opinions. Can you clarify what exactly Eaglemoss is looking to do with some of the ideas that are being discussed? Would this be one piece or multiple pieces that would join together? Would it be for characters that have already been included in the collection or characters that have yet to be?

3. There have been some concept pieces seen of Odin sitting on his throne. Would a fig of this nature be part of a potential diorama or another way of Eaglemoss expanding the current format of specials?

4. The diorama question inspired even greater support for the two-pack/team idea for the CMFC. Combined with the fact that many subscribers would like to see many teams that already have been started in the collection completed. Is this something EM are looking at and would commit themselves to doing and would they use the two-pack/team idea to do so?

5. With the discussion of two-pack. What type of scenarios are you looking at beyond characters like Cloak and Dagger? Are you looking at teammates (ex. Sasquatch and Puck), family relations (ex. Gorgon and Triton, Northstar and Aurora) rivalries (ex. Stingray and Tiger Shark, Longshot and Spiral), romances (ex. Firestar and Justice), partnerships (ex. Cobra and Mister Hyde), common foe (ex. Iron Man villians Ghost and Spymaster), even a key figure and a generic (Baron Von Strucker and Hydra Agent) or a complete team (Wrecking Crew, Guardians of the Galaxy). What ideas and discussions have EM had on some of the possibilities?

6. There are a lot of characters that are discussed and one thing that is mentioned a lot is if that character may or may not be able to fill a magazine and last Q&A you actually suggested we should set up a poll. To help us select an appropriate collection of choices, can you advise what is the criteria for a character to be able to fill a magazine? Is it based on his/her longevity, appearances or other factors?

7. Have any other specials been discussed or have been confirmed? What really defines a character for 'special' treatment and what about characters that might border on that size (Annhilus, Kingpin etc) Have you decided to do another Super-Special for Marvel?   Concerning specials, one common issue with subscribers is that the specials arrive significantly later than actual release compared to retailers?  Would have any knowledge as to why this may be?

8. Some collectors have noticed EM has not produced any variants in quite some time. Has EM abandoned the idea of variants or are they still an option for future figures/releases.

9. Many collectors have noticed that there are varying prices of certain pieces over the past few months. What factors do EM consider when pricing a piece out?

10. How does EM choose what costume a character gets made in? From previous Q&A's, it was stated that Marvel has made a few considerations but has pretty much left it up to Eaglemoss to decide. For example, Wonder Man has several costumes, what lead to the decision to pick this one instead of the safari jacket. And would the same considerations be taken with upcoming characters such as Adam Warlock, Black Knight, Taskmaster and Dazzler.

I've also included below the current poll information for your reference.  We know expansion will not be discussed until Figure 90 but we will continue to gather information that could be useful at that time. Below is the top 3 vote getters (in order) for each category.  This is followed by the overall results outside of categories for a better snapshot and the cummulative results.  The Xavier second figure poll is next with it's top three choices in order of votes received and finally the 121-140 Pick the Figure Poll.

AVENGERS ALLIES
ANT MAN
JACK OF HEARTS
ARACHNE

AVENGERS VILLAINS
GREY GARGOYLE
WRECKER
TIGER SHARK

COSMIC HEROES
UATU
DRAX
QUASAR

COSMIC VILLAINS
ANNHILUS
RONAN THE ACCUSER
TERRAX

INDEPENDENT HEROES
MAN THING
FIRESTAR
DARKSTAR

INDEPENDENT VILLAINS
BLACKHEART
CRIMSON DYNAMO
MODOK

SPIDERMAN ALLIES
CLOAK AND DAGGER
SCARLET SPIDER
SILVER SABLE

SPIDERMAN VILLAINS
KINGPIN
CHAMELEON
HYDROMAN

X-MEN ALLIES
JUBILEE
SUNFIRE
MARVEL GIRL

X-MEN VILLAINS
OMEGA RED
BLOB
ONSLAUGHT

TEAMED FIGURES
ALPHA FLIGHT
INHUMANS
THUNDERBOLTS

OVERALL RESULTS AND TOP VOTE GETTERS (FROM THE ABOVE POLLS)
KINGPIN 140
ANNHILUS 135
CLOAK AND DAGGER 118
ALPHA FLIGHT 112
MAN THING 111
INHUMANS 108
ANT MAN 102
OMEGA RED 100
UATU 79
SCARLET SPIDER 76
HYDROMAN 76
JUBILEE 75
JACK OF HEARTS 74
CHAMELEON 74
BLACKHEART 72
RONAN 70
SUNFIRE 68
SILVER SABLE 66
GREY GARGOYLE 65
FIRESTAR 64
TIGER SHARK 62
BLOB 62
WRECKER 61
DRAX 57
MODOK 55
PYRO 55
QUASAR 54
ONSLAUGHT 54
CRIMSON DYNAMO 53
RADIOACTIVE MAN 52
PROWLER 52
SAURON 52
MOONDRAGON 51
CANNONBALL 50
ARACHNE 49
THUNDERBOLTS 49
MARVEL GIRL 48
TYPHOID MARY 45
WASP 44
TERRAX 44
MARY JANE 44
FORGE 44
GRIM REAPER 41
CAPTAIN MARVEL 41
TOAD 41
GENERATION X 40

XAVIER PAIRING POLL
LILANDRA
MOIRA MACTAGGERT
ONSLAUGHT
Top Vote Getters from 120-140 poll (potential specials have been excluded)
Annihilus
KingPin
Ant Man
Omega Red
Jack of Hearts
Moondragon
Sunfire
Drax The Destroyer
Marvel Girl/Rachel Grey
Ronan the Accusser
Quasar
Scarlet Spider
Blackheart
Silver Samurai
Cannonball
Crimson Dynamo
Northstar
Wrecker
Forge
Firelord
Hydroman
Gorgon
Tigershark

We hope that you find this information useful and productive.  Again thank you for taking the time to answer so many questions.  I look forward to hearing back from you and hope you have a good week!

Kind Regards,
Nightstar1441

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2008 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Very nice, Steve.  Many thanks to you and everyone at your site that works so hard to get all of these things put together.

Steve Reaper
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2008 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Thanks Ryan, we are all in this together and it is like a drug, so nice to keep the "dealer" on friendly terms so to speak.  We will follow this set of questions with ones to Al re DC maybe later in the week.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 May 2008 at 4:35am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Omega Red getting more votes than the Wasp or Sauron! The definition of
"classic" once more takes a beating.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2008 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Midtown just emailed me, from the sound of things they are expecting new figures again this week (just Electro and Cable, I'm assuming), and held my Black Bolt to ship all at once.  So JB and others might be getting another delivery in a few days.

<< Prev Page of 376 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version