Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: My wife already has a black wig... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2007 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 1  

Is "spandex" seen as derogatory by many here?  When I've heard it (and used it) in reference to superheroes, it's shorthand for "skin tight, full figure covering".  It never occurred to me that anyone using the term spandex was using it literally.
Back to Top profile | search

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2007 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 2  

So spandex IS accurate sometimes.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 19 April 2007 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thanks but no thanks. Outside of the occassional pair of Underoos I wore as a child, I've never felt the desire to dress up like a super-hero.

Keith Elder
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2007 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 4  

Did Daredevil ever address where he originally got his costume?  Did he make it himself?

None of his enhanced senses give him any ability to detect color, do they?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane McNichols
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2007 at 11:06pm | IP Logged | 5  

Daredevil originally made his costume from his dad's boxing robes. ^_^
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 April 2007 at 4:46am | IP Logged | 6  

So spandex IS accurate sometimes.

Sure -- in the same way that saying people named "Shane" are gunslingers. That there might be one or two examples of such does not really make the statement representative of the "group", does it?

Same with Spandex. The vast majority of superheroes (and villains) clearly wear something other than Spandex, so using the word to describe the whole is, at the least inaccurate, at the worst just lazy.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 April 2007 at 4:53am | IP Logged | 7  

Is "spandex" seen as derogatory by many here?  When I've heard it (and used it) in reference to superheroes, it's shorthand for "skin tight, full figure covering".  It never occurred to me that anyone using the term spandex was using it literally.

The use in the media seems often to have a derogatory curl of lip attached. And, of course, there's no way the "yellow Spandex" line in "X-Men" can really be seen as anything but mocking the source.

In any case, in the end it comes down to something I see all too often in comics, and upon which I have commented many times before. That's a tendency of some fans to use the wrong terms ("bubbles" instead of balloons, "boxes" instead of panels, "Spiderman") and then become defensive about it when corrected. In most human pursuits alledgedly for pleasure, knowing what you're talking about is part of the fun. A football "fan" who called the teams headgear "caps" would not last long if he started arguing his "right" to do so. Why should it be different in comics? Are people really so embarassed to be "caught" seeming to care?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version