Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: SPROING!! - 04.12.07 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 April 2007 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Correct. Mr. Fantastic, like the Elongated Man, "only" stretches. Everything he does can be seen as some variant on stretching parts of his body.

Plastic Man literally turns into things. (When the character was created, this is what the word "plastic" meant.)

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2007 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Brian wrote:
...I never understood why Plastic Man was on the JLA instead of Elongated Man....

My guess is that the writer (Grant Morrison, I think) probably believed that if there was a stretching hero it should be the first that is a member of the JLA. The only problem is that Plastic Man doesn't really belong in the DC Universe, proper. Elongated Man is very DC, though.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 April 2007 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The Imitation Plastic Man

The Elongated Man was created so that DC could have its own version of Plastic Man. After this had happened, someone pointed out that DC already owned the real Plastic Man, and had for some time.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2007 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm glad DC made that "mistake."  I love the Elongated Man. Plastic Man is ok too, but if I had to choose to read about one of them, Ralph Dibny is my choice.

I also like the fact that much like Reed Richards' abilities as a scientist, the "sillyness" (and I mean silliness in a good way, not as a put down of the character) of Dibny's powers is contrasted by the "seriousness" of his skill as a detective.

Edited by Aaron Smith on 13 April 2007 at 9:43am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2007 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

JB posted: "The Elongated Man was created so that DC could have its own
version of Plastic Man. After this had happened, someone pointed out that
DC already owned the real Plastic Man, and had for some time."

Might've been interesting to see what would have come of Plastic Man being
"re-introduced" in the pages of The Flash, rather than Ralph Dibny making
his earliest appearances.

James Stewart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2007 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I like this one a lot, and good job colouring JB it was a treat indeed.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2007 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Did anyone see Kyle Baker's work on Plastic Man recently? It was interesting stuff that got away from the character as portrayed in JLA as Wacky-Go-Silly Man. It wasn't Cole, but I felt that Baker's work on Plastic Man was entertaining and am very sad that the sales weren't up to snuff on a geniunely funny all-ages book.

I'm a big fan of Kyle's Plastic Man, too. There were a lot of "laugh out loud" moments throughout the series, and it was a really fun version of the character. I wish DC would do more books that can legitimately be sold as "all-ages."

Cole's Plastic Man is one of the greatest superhero books ever created, period, so no one's going to live up to that, but Kyle made an admirable attempt.

Another Plastic Man comic that gets overlooked is the Phil Foglio/Hilary Barta/Kevin Nowlan mini-series from 1988. It's very close in spirit to the Cole's Plastic Man, and the writing and art are top-notch. (And I'll go ahead and recommend Foglio's Angel and the Ape & Stanley and His Monster comics from the early 90s, too.)

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2007 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Foglio also did an x-rated humor comic in the late 80's called:  "XXXenophile" which I highly recommend for those who can find it and those of us here old enough to read it. 

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2007 at 5:26am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That's a great face and expression there JB. Brilliant work.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2007 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The Elongated Man was also a superheroic twist on the popular "Thin Man" movies and stories, with the husband and wife team solving mysteries, affectionately battling one another as much as they battled the criminals.  Killing their Nick Charles' Nora was perhaps the most antithetical move DC could have made.  I said at the time that it was good that the couple didn't own a dog or there would have been pieces of Asta everywhere.

Something about Plas (probably my favorite super-hero) that I cannot understand is the writers' need to saddle him with children in nearly every incarnation.  The 60's version by Arnold Drake revealed that the character "Plaz" we'd been reading about throughout the series was actually the son of the original, who was now a doddering codger making a go at running a rest home for the elderly. The Plastic Man TV series killed any notion of sexual tension between Plas and Penny (not to mention his infatuation with the Chief ((not Niles Caulder))) by marrying Plas off during the summer and introducing Baby Plas!  You'd think the stigma of that association would end any future Baby Plases, but Mark Waid's "Kingdom" one-shots featured Offspring and a major subplot of Plas' recent run in the JLA was his deadbeat dad status as father of a troubled teen.  (Other subplots included insanity and functional immortality for our hero...) And most recently, Kyle Baker's series gave us Edwina, and a screechier, more antagonistic teenaged daughter  you could not imagine... Unless you happen to know one, and then she seems downright quaint.

Why all the kids?

Just a guess at my own question here, but would I be giving them too much credit to theorize that they're tackling the theme of Parenthood with Plas because there is no adjustment, including Marraige and Old Age, that so completely twists, befuddles, and pretzelizes a man so much as becoming a father?  Suddenly becoming, as JB correctly observes about Plas, the only sane man in an insane world; that world in this case being his own home?

Whatever the cause, I wish they'd knock it the hell off already.  Done and doner, at this point.  Move on, already.

Let me add my voice to the rising chorus calling for a JB Plastic Man series. You clearly understand Cole's concept of the intelligent, savvy sane man making his way through an often perversely twisted world.  You've obviously got the visual quality of the character down beautifully, and the possibilities for commenting on insanities both modern and eternal seem boundless. Kyle Baker's run owed nothing to Grant Morrison's hideous mischaracterization or to current JLA continuity. The break with the current "official" model is already accomplished, and there's nothing to hold you to Baker's interpretation either. It would be a kick.  And if you decide against it, at least we have this picture as taste of what could be...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 April 2007 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Here's the problem I see with any attempt by me to do a Plastic Man series: I really don't care about the character.

Now -- I don't mean that in a negative, "who gives a f**k" kind of way. I mean I have read in my life exactly one Plastic Man solo story, that when I was all of eight years old, and nothing about the character has called me back. My awareness of how to do the character right comes mostly from two sources: Paul Kupperberg, and my "mutant ability" to sense almost instinctively when something is being done wrong. (You don't need a great, intimate association with the character to know that "dark" is not the place to go with someone called "Plastic Man", f'rinstance.)

Now -- it is true that some of the best work I have done has been on projects for which I have no emotional connection. Jobs that were "just" jobs -- but I don't think I could maintain a series, coming from that starting point.

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2007 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

That's a nice Plastic Man. I don't really care for the character either. (He actually kinda bugs me a little). I'm glad DC had the ownership mix-up as I really enjoy Elongated Man as a character. Pity he's been killed off. Anybody know the whereabouts of Plastic Man? Is his series still going?

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version