Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: About That Hyphen… (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 7:48am | IP Logged | 1  

NEXT MEN was never a Marvel project. 2112 began its life as part of the "Futureverse" project for Stan, and when that fell thru I excised all the Marvel references (which I had added in anyway, since the basic storyline was something I had been kicking around for a while) and turned it into a "sequel" to NEXT MEN.

Marvel's problem with NEXT MEN, they said, was that it sounded like X-MEN and people asking for the latter would possibly be given the former. I pointed out that the reverse was much more likely (especially given the snotty attitudes of some retailers), and that, in any case, the actual title was JOHN BYRNE'S NEXT MEN.

Back to Top profile | search

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 2  

Thanks for the clarification, JB.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 3  

Woww..... back in the pre-internet days when I didn't really pay much attention to the political atmosphere or manipulations of the companies and one had to be interested enough to actually seek out "behind-the-scenes" manuveurings......

Dispite all of that, I still heard about Marvel's move against the Next Men book and my immediate response to a buddy was, "You've got to be f%$@ing kidding."

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Aki Himmanen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 4  

I mentioned this discussion to my mother, an elementary school English teacher.

She said, "oh, there's a hyphen? In our English textbook it's 'Spiderman'." I then suggested she give feedback to the publishers about this, and she readily agreed.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Darragh Greene
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 5  

Joakim Jahlmar wrote:
Small question for our resident Irishman, Darragh
Greene... Out of curiousity, how is your name pronounced?

Dar-rah or Da-rah, and the final 'e' is silent in my surname.

Dáire - (DEH-ruh, DI-re or DAHR-uh) Old Irish word meaning "oak grove,"
"fruitful" or "fertile", and most likely the name of an early fertility or bull
god; the Brown Bull of Cooley was owned by Daire mac Fiachna, and his
refusal to loan his bull to Queen Medb was part of the reason for the fight
between the Ulsterman and the men of Ireland. Dary, Darragh.

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 6  

Has anyone ever noticed how many spell checkers never seem to recognize the proper versions and almost always offer up the improper ones as corrections?

I type "Spider-Man" and the typical spell checker picks it up and wants to change it to "Spiderman" yet when I type "Supergirl" the two "corrections" the spell checker gives me are "Super-Girl" and "Super Girl".  Yeesh!

I did notice that the some spell checkers DO recognize Spider-Man. There's hope yet.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 7  

Speaking a bit of our own names.  I get mine spelled "Stephen Meyers" a lot.  Easy to pronounce, with wayyyy too many spelling variations.  There's even one woman I work with who still calls me "Mr Myer", despite my name being on the door (and in other places).  And she should know, after I corrected her for correcting a student who called me "Mr Myers".  But I've given up and I let it go.

"Steven Myers" is spelled like it sounds.
"Stephen Meyers" is the weird spelling.

And yes, I'd expect comic book readers to know it is "Spider-Man".  I'd accept "Spidey" in the proper context.  I think "The Batman" or "Batman" is the writer's choice, but never "Bats"...maybe "Sir" though.

I also expect comic fans to know Plastic Man is not a member of the Fantastic Four.  And neither is "Mrs F".

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 8:32pm | IP Logged | 8  

Brandon - obviously there aren't enough geeks in the computer business to correct such oversights. The government needs to start providing nerd subsidies for jobs in the computer tech industry.

Hopefully the U.S. Congress and Canadian Parliament can pass the International Poindexter Accord without partisan politics and special interest groups getting in the way.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 March 2007 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 9  

Has anyone ever noticed how many spell checkers never seem to recognize the proper versions and almost always offer up the improper ones as corrections?

I type "Spider-Man" and the typical spell checker picks it up and wants to change it to "Spiderman" yet when I type "Supergirl" the two "corrections" the spell checker gives me are "Super-Girl" and "Super Girl".  Yeesh!

I did notice that the some spell checkers DO recognize Spider-Man. There's hope yet.

Writing superheroes for a living is a good way to vex even the best spellchecker. Or is that spell checker?

A few KA-BOOMS, an occasional Jor-El, a couple of Skrulls, Kree, and a Mxyzptlk, and the poor wee program is begging for mercy.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2007 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 10  

I've finally started using right click "add" and right click "learn" to avoid being contantly corrected when I type certain words that aren't recognized.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2007 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 11  

Darragh, you seem to have a wealth of information related to names and things Irish, any advice or resources you could point me to so I could research my last name(Mokler)?  My aunt's husband, a long while back, did an amateur genealogy research of the name that went back to the late 1800's but I was hoping to find more. 

My own Sean/Shawn moment from the past was "Jose".  I still remember how much more sense and fluidity the term "No way, Jose" made after I learned it is pronounce "Ho-zay" and not "Jose".

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2007 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 12  

Sme Microsoft Word, I believe 2000 or '97 I have had, even the ones in Swedish, who spell checks in Swedish, they have some English correction still left there. For example, i becomes I if I here and there, since you don't have i in your language. I still find some old documents with occasional I's. And this was with the spell checker turned off!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version