Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: About That Hyphen… (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 3:46am | IP Logged | 1  

Magdalene College is pronounced 'maudlin'.  Why?  Dunno.  They're just posh.  Posh people are different.
Back to Top profile | search

David Barker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 4:05am | IP Logged | 2  

While not exactly the same thing my quandary earlier was how to show my selection for my favorite costume for a character. Should it be Captain Marvel or Captain Mar-Vell? Recently I have seen a large number of people using Mar-Vell.

Signed,
Confused

Aki Himmanen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 4:44am | IP Logged | 3  

I hereby grant all people present the right to spell my last name any way they see fit. After all, it's what the government, banks, shops, institutes of higher learning and such have been doing for as long as I can remember. These days, when I have to tell someone my last name, I've grown accustomed to saying "Himmanen. With an 'h' and two 'm's." If I have to say it over the phone, I usually say 'Hhhimmmmanen'. Just to make sure they don't mentally 'rub out' letters from my name, which I really like as it is.

I don't see it as beneficial to society for people who insist that words be spelled right to be treated as though they were in a state of constant rage about a minute, silly little detail and insisting you do something completely, utterly, blitheringly silly that is of no use to anyone, never has been, and that you don't personally care about anyway.

Ugh. Rant over.

Edited by Aki Himmanen on 23 March 2007 at 4:47am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 5:32am | IP Logged | 4  

There's a character in Priest's STEEL run with the last name Villain. "It's pronounced WILL-HAIN. It's FRENCH."

I hope someone else speaks those lines, someone other than the character himself.

A gaff sometimes seen in comics is to have a character announce "I am XERZYX, pronounced ZER-ZICKS." (If you don't get what the problem is, read that sentence aloud.)

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 5:44am | IP Logged | 5  

My step-father's last name is "Berberich" and to hear him spell his name over the phone is like listening to Bob Newhart in his element.

"Okay, got a pen?  It's B-E-R... B-E-R.... no, a second B-E-R... 'Ber-ber"... right... then I-C-H.  B-E-R-B-E-R-I-C-H."

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 6  

Keeping that in mind when you talk to non-fans about comic books, would you rather them take you seriously or laugh at you for reading them? When asking someone on a date to the movies would you say, let's go see Supes Returns or Bats Begins? I doubt it. Why can't we show the same restraint when we discuss the topic with fellow fans?

Exactly!

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 7  

I have this problem just with Di-Di-er, right here in Hong Kong

This is why they call me Mister Paul.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 6:28am | IP Logged | 8  

JB wrote:
"I made it up. When Marvel threatened legal action over NEXT MEN, I announced my intent to do Spy-Doorman and also a book about the tremendous pressure put upon the medical staff in hospitals -- DOCTOR STRAINS."

O that's just sweet. How fast did they drop their threat?
Btw, why were they threatening legal action? Can it be as bad as I think it is? Something to do with an "X" in Next partnered with "Men"?

JB also wrote:
"Or, as I have asked with tongue firmly in cheek, is it Shawn Bean or Seen Bawn?"

O that one's good. I've got to remember that one and use on an appropriate occasion. Gave me a good laugh though. Much needed one, I may add. Thanks JB.

Brian Miller wrote:
"Or Seona, pronounce Shaw-na?
Oooooh. I've never heard that one. I really like it."

It's a nice name. A friend of mine's kid is called that, though I'd never seen it spelled out before, only heard it referred to in conversation. Incidentally, the mother is called Roisin which is of course pronounced Roy-Sheen.

Small question for our resident Irishman, Darragh Greene... Out of curiousity, how is your name pronounced?

Steve Horton wrote:
"There's a character in Priest's STEEL run with the last name Villain. 'It's pronounced WILL-HAIN. It's FRENCH.'"

If he does say it himself, I hope he corrects somebody trying to say his name incorrectly, rather than JB's "I am XERZYX, pronounced ZER-ZICKS"-example. If not, I agree with JB in that the level of stupidity in the presentation knows little level.

Incidentally, this has made me think of The New Statesmen (British sit com from the 80s, I believe) which I've only ever watched one episode of (courtesy of a friend of mine who just loved the series and basically forced me into the sofa to watch the one she had on tape). It's about Rik Mayall (from The Young Ones) who plays an MP with the surname Bastard (and he sure is one). And there's this lovely seen when he is so true to his name, and somebody says "Bastard!" (not really referring to his name) upon which he responds "Bah-Staard." Always found that funny.

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 9  

Joakim wrote: Btw, why were they threatening legal action? Can it be as bad as I think it is? Something to do with an "X" in Next partnered with "Men"?

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/FAQ/listing_search.asp#27

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stanton L. Kushner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 10  

QUOTE:
Stanton, if calling you out on your insults is against the boards rules they can ban me now. Get your Latin dictionary out and use your insults with more precision.

Nothing that I've said to you or anyone else was intended as an insult, and frankly I'm not sure how one could possibly read my posts that way.  Please do not attempt to read my mind and tell me what my intentions were.  You're reading in a layer of animosity that simply isn't there.  JB asked a question, and I answered it.  You can agree or disagree with the answer - everyone's got opinions - but please don't presume to tell me what I was thinking or infer some improper intent. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 11  

Nothing that I've said to you or anyone else was
intended as an insult, and frankly I'm not sure how
one could possibly read my posts that way.

Gee

Joakim Jahlmar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2007 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 12  

Lars – I don't entirely see how the link you've provided answers my question.
Am I too assume (since it doesn't directly say so anywhere in the FAQ section you've referred to) that the legal threat from Marvel's side had to do with the fact that JB had initially been working on this idea for a Marvel project ended up not being a Marvel project?

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version