Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Mutant Fashion Disasters (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2007 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 1  

Iceman with a do-rag??!!

Not just any do-rag, but one that isn't covered with ice when Bobby changes...It is with the 'what happens to Colossus' blue leggings when he turns to steel' category.

Back to Top profile | search

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2007 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 2  

QUOTE:
The Storm punk did connect with what had happened.  She lost her powers, became harder and tougher for it.

I could be wrong but didn't she lose her powers after getting the mohawk?  The cover of 180, posted earlier in this thread, seems to suggest so.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2007 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 3  

Now I'm not saying I like the whacked out spikey-freak version of Bobby above... but it would make a kind of sense if he could make different shapes or something to cover himself with.

Originally, he was snowman Bobby. Then he focused a little more, and became sleek ice covered Bobby. Obviously, it's part of his nature to be able to change the form of ice that is covering his body.

Now, as I said, I don't like the above whacky picture - that's just getting silly. But if Bobby were to suddenly have a little hair showing on his head (not flowing long hair, mind, it would still be solid in ice form so he'd have to stick with a short, spikey cut or something for it to work without looking like a shell-head) or he were to thicken the ice on his knuckles before punching something, that'd be a natural effect of him using his powers as he has in the past.

Oh, and I LOVE the Cassaday "Cyke" in that dream sequence. It just screams how goofy the costumes were from the previous era! Cassaday's own Cyclops uniform is a nice blend of the classic look and something more utilitarian (like the leather) without actually looking like the movies or something you could buy off a rack. I think it suits (PU...two thirds of a pun) Scott as a leader - sleek, confident, tough and in charge.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 March 2007 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 4  

The Storm punk did connect with what had happened.  She lost her powers, became harder and tougher for it.  I showed how she had rejected the goddess image and was down to earth.  It also worked well with the Visio Quest during the Fall of the Mutants and her journey.  It worked for the time in her life.

Must disagree. Punk Storm was out of the same box as alcoholic Tony Stark. A drastic change in the character that requires demolishing the character before we can get to it. These are classic examples of the characters being made to serve the writers, instead of the other way 'round.

It should be a hard and fast rule for any writer of serial fiction -- if you can't do your story without "deconstructing" the characters, don't do that story!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 March 2007 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 5  

Yes, that is apparently Northstar...

I wonder when his hair went white?

Greg Kirkpatrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2007 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 6  

It's Ladies Night!

This costume just screams Magma!

Even Amanda Sefton cannot avoid "little jacket syndrome"

The Vision would be upset

Talisman gets a costume that can show off those power-lifter legs!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2007 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 7  

Storm went punk in #173, and lost her powers in #185. When she regained her powers in #225, she lost the punk look.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 09 March 2007 at 12:21pm

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2007 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 8  

JB - I think there can be a case for deconstructing a character if the writer is doing it with the true character in mind.

I have no problem with a writer coming on, throwing some stumbling blocks (emotional, physical, whatever) in the path of the character, causing that character to behave uncharacteristically. So long as it is agreed the behaviour is not characteristic and the changes are not permanent, the writer is left with a way to triumphantly return the character to the status quo - in serial fiction, the journey is the fun part and the destination is the illusion of change, but no real change because the story needs to keep happening.

Now, what construes a permanent change? I think the Hulk murdering thread does. It would be interesting to explore Banner's reaction to Hulk killing someone (that's why the early Bruce Jones run was good) and it would be interesting to deconstruct the character that way - so long as the apparent murder was actually a frame up and Hulk was innocent, we could still have that territory covered and the Hulk reaffirmed as a hero - OF COURSE he didn't kill, glad he got to the bottom of the mystery and now we go on to the next adventure.

Coming in and deconstructing the characters to the point where they are, coming out, either drastically different or irredeemable, is of course totally wrong and should never be done with any character. If you don't like the character, don't use them, and create one to suit your needs.

I like to think of that as the Giant Size X-Men #1 method - not that people didn't like the X-Men, of course, but new characters and a different dynamic were brought in to spice things up and give the book a kickstart. Nowadays, Iceman would be written out of character to fulfill the Wolverine role instead of Wolvie being used, and Beast would suddenly remember his Irish roots (just as his fur turns RED) and start speaking in that ol' Irish brogue to fulfill the Banshee role. Those characters wouldn't have been created because another character would just change enough to suit the needs of the writer.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Pedro Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2007 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 9  

hey! haven't you heard? dazzler's dated costumes aren't dated anymore... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EtkGxKeC4Y

Edited by Pedro Tavares on 09 March 2007 at 1:43pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Pedro Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2007 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 10  

what about the "goblin prince" costume that alex summers had during inferno? that one was bad in so many ways...

Pedro Tavares
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2007 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 11  

from what i remember what brought about the change in storm was the brood saga where she almost died (or did die!). During that time she had a hard time controling her power in space and then she tried to kill the brood offspring she was carrying, by taking her own life. This was against her beliefs that all life is sacred bla bla bla and then when she came back she still couldn't control her powers the same way as before and was angry all the time. She decided she needed a change when she met yukio in Japan. When she lost her powers she was already punked

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2007 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 12  

Storm went "punk" in what seemed like a crisis of identity-- which came to her suddenly after defeating the alien growing inside her.  But the identity crisis grew in stature until Storm seemed to be releasing something that had been repressed for as long as we'd known her--

Even though we'd already seen her face her past and reveal her deep security with her "inner self" in stories like X-Men 122 and 142 where she took over as leader of the X-Men.  All the X-Men slowly developed worse and worse neuroses as time went by, didn't they?

I was really unhappy with the change as a reader-- aside from the clumsiness of the sudden change, it made no sense to me that she would adopt a "punk" look.  How could that be more authentic to her than her traditional look?  Was she secretly hanging out at CBGB's all through the '70s?

Why not lederhosen?  

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version