Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 25 Next >>
Topic: Drift: Captain America News BIG OLD HONKIN’ SPOILERS AHEAD (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 1  

This scene reminds me of something that happens a lot in real life. Many people, when encountering someone who is not constantly immersing himself in "pop culture" will assume that the person in question is ignorant of modern culture. This is hardly always the case. I rarely watch TV...just movies, the occasional Star Trek rerun, and Rome, but I'm still aware enough of most of what is popular on TV right now, mostly because i can't help being exposed to information about it anyway. it permeates our surroundings to such a degree that I seem to just absorb information about it, even to such an extent that I can fake a conversation about it if I want to. An intelligent person, and one who pays attention to their surroundings, even if not interested in certain things, would most likely have some awareness of them anyway. If this is so for an average person, it would certainly be true for Captain America, whose life often depends on his ability to be constantly aware of everything happening around him.

Edited by Aaron Smith on 06 March 2007 at 6:48pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 2  

Sigh.  Can we just have a "M***** Sucks" Thread instead of creating a few dozen each week.  Same song all the time.  We get it.
Daredevil, X-Factor, Runaways, Astonishing X-Men, Ultimate Spider-man, She-Hulk, Black Panther...
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------

Amen brother. :(

Hey, you Marvel fans are the winners.  You get to read comics you like.  All guys like me have are these threads.
Back to Top profile | search

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

Aaron Smith: If this is so for an average person, it would certainly be true for Captain America, whose life often depends on his ability to be constantly aware of everything happening around him.

This underlines the stupidity of this scene-- Captain America is part of the Avengers.  In the past 7-10 years, the Earth has been attacked by aliens, Skrulls, Galactus, Kang, Annhilus, Terminus, et al, multiple multiple times.  Personally, Cap defeated the Red Skull with the Cosmic Cube, Hydra, Vampires, Dragon Man-- etc.

In that context, what is MySpace?  Paris Hilton?  Even Baseball?  How can we suddenly pretend that the minutia of our world is supposed to match one-to-one with the minutia of the Marvel universe in such a way that Cap could be rendered speechless by this woman?  The only way I can make it work is by assuming the average people in the Marvel univese are thousands of times stupider than the people in the real world. 

If I assume that's the baseline, then this scene starts to make sense.

Edited by Mark Haslett on 06 March 2007 at 7:12pm

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 4  

"Hey, you Marvel fans are the winners."

Even more so because they get to see the heroes turn into something less than they are in real life.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 5  

Cap should punch Sally in the face then upload it on youtube. It would give her something to update her myspace with. It's the american way baby.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 6  

I wonder what Captain America would make of this (if he were wasting his time surfing around on youtube...)

(Warning: profanity, ahistorical hyperbole, bad home made rap music, kazoo abuse)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc9y5ayeeb4

Edited by Emery Calame on 06 March 2007 at 7:46pm

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 7  

Wow -- thanks for sharing, Emery!  It's painfully obvious to that this one single youtube video is far, FAR more important than anything that Captain America could ever hope to accomplish for this fine country.

"Washington, Washington,
Six foot-eight weighs a f****ing ton,
Opponents beware,
Opponents beware,
He's coming, he's coming, he's coming

Let me lay it on the lie
He had two on the vine
I mean two sets of testicles - so divine

On a horse made of crystal
He patrolled the land
With a Mason ring
A schnauzer
And his two perfect hands . . ."

Being acutely aware of THAT (and all else like it on the shrine of youtube) is what it takes to have your finger on the pulse of this great land.

Thank you, Emery, for reminding me of that.

Greg Kirkpatrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 8  

I would not be surprised if Marvel actually set up a Captain America MySpace page...Hey, i get credit for that if they do...Wait, no.  I don't want the credit.  Forget I mentioned it.

Brandon Pennison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 11:05pm | IP Logged | 9  

Maybe that can be a story arc...Captain America: Civil War America, How myspace and youtube are the new Mom and Apple pie, the Initiative.  By Mark Millar and Paul Jenkins

Cap drinks diet coke and mentos and decides this America is way kooler than what he thought America was.  $4.99

Edited by Brandon Pennison on 06 March 2007 at 11:07pm

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2007 at 11:59pm | IP Logged | 10  

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 1:06am | IP Logged | 11  

Mark- That's pretty funny.

Aki Himmanen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 4:41am | IP Logged | 12  

Captain America: "The Race", part 1 of 6: Captain America's quest to discover the true heart of America continues as he takes a road trip to the Daytona 500. $4.99

Hmm...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 25 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version