Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: Does Hulk Kill? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 1  

Brad, so you're saying that Brian Michael Bendis says that the Hulk is a killer?

Well that explains it all.  You see Bendis is an ignorant moron when it comes to knowing about the characters he's supposed to be writing.

Combine that with the fact that Bendis couldn't write an action sequence to save his life and you've got all the ingredients for why he shouldn't be working in SUPERHERO comics.

G.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Kirkpatrick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 2  

Poor ignorant moronic Bendis and all the work he gets and comics he sells.
Back to Top profile | search

Charles Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 3  

I thought Marvel went out of business years ago? They still make comics?

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 4  

Captain Britain's Dai Thomas wife and kid were killed by the Hulk/Thor battle from Thor 112.... They touched on this in Captain Britain #1 back in 1985 so this idea of superhero battles causing callatoral damage is not a new idea....

Should it be done? Probably not.. My Hulk is not a killer but I could see where if the army is attacking him and the Hulk is fighting back with bombs and tanks exploding and jets blowing up... someone is probably going to get killed.....

The torture of Bruce is knowing that the Hulk may have caused deaths....

George Peter Gatsis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 5  

ideally the answer is no.
unintentionally the answer is yes.

when the hulk fights some other marvel muscle... is some cases hulk SMASHES the ground causing an earth quake... said earth quake affects nearby town or city and in the shake, some people are hurt and some die....

hulk fights the millitary, downs jets and tanks and other human driven weapons, said casualties of war go to the hospital and recover or die due to their injuries...

and so on... and so on...

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

My Hulk is not a killer but I could see where if the army is attacking him and the Hulk is fighting back with bombs and tanks exploding and jets blowing up... someone is probably going to get killed.....

Yeah, I agree with that.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 7  

I think if anyone dies in a Hulk comic it should be depicted in the issue. Not
that I think anyone should die due to Hulk's actions. Mentioning it after the
fact is just bad retro-active writing to justify why Hulk is kicked offplanet.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 8  

I think the "Banner" mini-series examined this issue in a fascinating way.  In that interpretation, yes, dozens of people accidently die everytime the Hulk goes on a rampage.  The government then swoops in like Men In Black, and blames it on a natural disaster like a tornado, because they don't want the public to know how helpless they are to protect them from the Hulk.  Banner feels guilt to the point of attempting suicide, but the Hulk biochemistry always keeps him alive and heals him, no matter what he tries.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 9  

If Alley Kat Abra kills then sure...Hulk kills too. Comix is over.

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 10  

That "Banner" series sounds like shite. I see nothing "fascinating" about
making Hulk a killer like this. What ever happened to willing suspension of
disbelief.

Emery, I was so excited for the return of Captain Carrot just for nostalgia
and hated it when that direction was revealed. Hell, so much for DC making
comics fun and positive agian.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 11  

This is a tricky issue.

In a logical, real-world setting, there would absolutely be deaths caused by the Hulk's rampages. After all, he has been responsible for billions of dollars in property damage. Can we really believe that not a single person was killed in a Hulk-related disaster?

The (apparently non-canon) story, Startling Stories: Banner dealt head-on with this idea, as I recall.

However, despite the realism of the notion, saying that the Hulk is a killer drags the Hulk's world--and, by extension, the Marvel Universe--into an uneasy moral setting. 

And, fortunately, comics are not the "real world". The stories may ideally take place in the world outside our window, but in cases like this, the rules have to be bent.

After all, the Hulk, despite being an antisocial brute, is still the protagonist of his book. He is not a villain, and is not inherently evil. And Bruce Banner is a heroic character, an ordinary man cursed to become a monster as the result of saving a stranger's life. And I've never really subscribed to the idea that Banner is good while the Hulk is evil. Banner clearly has an influence on the Hulk, and the Hulk has also been said to be a twisted reflection of Banner. Banner is not a killer, and so, deep down, neither is the Hulk (as the pilot for the 70s Hulk tv series explained very effectively).

If the Hulk "really" was a killer, Banner (at least the Banner I know and love) would rather die himself than risk any other lives.

So, here's my take on the matter: It may be "realistic" for the Hulk to leave a trail of bodies in his wake, but for the sake of proper characterization--and the moral/social/emotional identification of his readers, the Hulk must not be a killer.

Even if it's totally illogical and unrealistic.

Because if he is a killer (intentional or not), then he should be labeled as a villain, and not be promoted by M***** as a "superhero" character (although that adjective is also somewhat incorrect). Despite his antisocial tendencies, the Hulk has almost always been portrayed as a sympathetic character. He's strong, angry, and misunderstood, but he usually lashes out at the right targets (like supervillains and alien monsters). His rampages allow readers to blow off steam without opening up a sticky can of worms (in the form of the inevitable moral implications of the deaths that would and should be caused by those rampages of his).

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 27 February 2007 at 1:39pm

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 12  

<<should Hulk be a killer or not?>>

Of course not.

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version