Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 2  

And... what Matt said.
Back to Top profile | search

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thanks guys. 

So it's out of character for The Hulk to kill because it would muddy the code of The Mighty Avengers?  They wouldn't have a mass murderer join their organization to protect and serve the world.

Edited by Sam Karns on 01 March 2007 at 2:02pm

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 4  

>My point is that people are looking at the destruction caused by the Hulk
and claiming people must have died. In real life, surely people would die in
that type of destruction. In a comic, though, we've gotten used to the idea
that people can escape intact. UNLESS a writer decides to depict otherwise

... and that, lady and gentlemen, is what makes the A Team and Dukes of Hazzard pure magic.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 5  

Sam wrote:
...So it's out of character for The Hulk to kill because it would muddy the code of The Mighty Avengers?  They wouldn't have a mass murderer join their organization to protect and serve the world...

They let Wolverine join.

But, that's not why it would be out of character. It's out of charcacter because... well, it is out of character. The Hulk, while destructive, is not a killer by nature. He simply wants to be left alone. The thugish early version, and the later child-like Hulk both just wanted to be left alone. Hulk only really fought when he was being hunted and attacked.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 6  

You know, back when, comics writers made a point to note that when, say, a super strong super-villain was thrown into a building by the hero, the building was usually condemned or abandoned. Sure, it might seem convienent and a stretch that this was so often the case, but at the heart of it was the writer letting us know that the super-hero did not kill.

Landry Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 7  

David Whiteley: "I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or someone claiming I stated otherwise, L. Of course what I describe is the intrusion of reality, since I said, "that's reality intruding again."

My point is that people are looking at the destruction caused by the Hulk and claiming people must have died. In real life, surely people would die in that type of destruction. In a comic, though, we've gotten used to the idea that people can escape intact. UNLESS a writer decides to depict otherwise."

There is no hard fast rule that bystanders escape from harms way unless specifically shown otherwise. I've never made that assumption and I'm uncertain why you have.

We're discussing fictional characters and how their fictional actions impact their fictional environments and the fictional people who reside within them. A degree of suspension of disbelief is required to further the discussion. Pointing to any one aspect and arguing that it only exists if the writers decide it exists is unnecessary.

Let me put it this way. We decide to debate who is stronger, the Hulk or Superman:

Person A: "Well, I think the Hulk is stronger because theoretically his strength is unlimited."

Person B: "I think Superman is stronger because of the rays of the yellow sun."

Person C: "It's whatever the writer decides."

Yes, person C is technically correct. But he's also a bit of a killjoy.

So when I say that what you describe is the intrusion of reality, I'm referring to the jarring and unnecessary reminder that these are fictional beings whose actions are dictated exclusively by a writer. Examining the potential impact of the Hulk's actions is engaging in the suspension of disbelief, quite the opposite of the dismissal you provided. Because if we follow your logic to it's inevitable conclusion, this discussion is irrelevant. The answer is simply a matter of whatever the writer decides and no further interpretation is necessary.

Matt Hawes: "The thugish early version, and the later child-like Hulk both just wanted to be left alone."

Am I incorrect in my recollection of the Hulk's intent (after his first transformation) to murder Rick Jones? If not, a long way to go just to be left alone.

Edited by L. Walker on 01 March 2007 at 2:30pm

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 8  

L.Walker wrote:
...Am I incorrect in my recollection of the Hulk's intent (after his first transformation) to murder Rick Jones? If so, a long way to go just to be left alone...

Just checked... You're incorrect. Hulk pushes aside Rick Jones and says he wants to get out of the room he is in. He breaks down a wall, where a jeep with two armymen run into the Hulk. The men are thrown out of the vehicle, as it is demolished by the impact. He says he has to go hide, as Rick follows him. He feels drawn to Bruce Banner's cabin, subscinciously drawn to look for a formula Banner has come up with. The spy, Igor, is caught going through Banner's stuff. Igor, startled by the Hulk, fires upon the monster. Hulk smashes the pistol and tosses Igor onto a desk. Rick warns Hulk to be careful, or he could kill Igor.

When Hulk next changes, there is an implication at one point that the Hulk has something planned for Rick because Rick knows that the Hulk is really Banner, but no actual threat of murder is made. The time after that, when Hulk next changes, the Hulk doesn't attempt to murder Rick, nor does he attack Rick at this point.

Landry Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 9  

So what do you think was planned? Tea party?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 10  

I don't know, L. Why don't you consult Stan Lee? It's obvious that the Hulk didn't like Rick Jones knowing his secret, but whether or not the Hulk would've murdered Rick is not stated in any way. After all, L., if Hulk wanted to murder Rick, why did he continue to let Rick live? Explanation?

It's things like future writers picking up on small, uncertain details like the scene you mention that leads to saying Professor Xavier is really a child molestor whose evil created Onslaught because there was one long-forgotten, and wisely-dropped by Stan Lee, panel in "The X-Men" where, in a thought balloon, Xavier thinks of how he would like to be romantically involved with Jean if not for being in a wheelchair.

One panel, where the barest suggestion is made (never stated by anyone in the book) that the Hulk would "silence" Rick by force, even murder, is not enough evidence to prove that is the way the character should be written.

Again, if the Hulk was a murderer, why did Rick Jones still live the next time Banner became the Hulk?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 11  

When Hulk next changes, there is an implication at one point that the Hulk has something planned for Rick because Rick knows that the Hulk is really Banner, but no actual threat of murder is made. The time after that, when Hulk next changes, the Hulk doesn't attempt to murder Rick, nor does he attack Rick at this point.

++++++++++++

I read that scene as the Hulk about to make a move on Rick (perhaps to attack/kill him), but then he is prevented by the sunrise (and his first transformation back to Banner).

"As for you, you are the only one who knows who I really am!"

Of course, this was never followed up on. Instead, the Hulk was usually just mouthy towards Rick from then on.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 12  

Dan Slott was already starting to win me over with She-Hulk.

That interview did it.

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version