Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: Does Hulk Kill? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 1  

In complete honesty, Ultimate Hulk being a killer doesn't bother me at all, because he isn't the same character. I'd prefer in the mainstream universe that he not be a killer however, at least intentionally. I go along with the idea that there is some small part of Banner still acting under the radar keeping Hulk from out and out killing anyone. I don't want to suspend my disbelief enough to think that his rampages haven't caused accidental deaths however. I'd be just as happy if they never addressed the subject at all in the mainstream universe though.
Back to Top profile | search

Mike Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

Does anyone remember the Atlas Comics series "The Brute"?  It was about their version of the Hulk, a weirdly-colored, unfrozen caveman, if I recall.  Well, the Brute was a mindless animal who did kill anyone, good or bad, that got in his way.  And you know what?  It really didn't work because it made the Brute impossible to empathize or sympathize with.

You can make an evil character appealing, but when character is just an indifferent killer or a "force of nature" then it's really not a character.  It's just a plot device and you run into the same problems writers and audiences have always had with the Man-Thing, for example.

Mike

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 3  

Good points, MIke. When writers properly handle Man-Thing, though, he is a
catalyst for or side-liner to the stories featuring him. The Man-Thing title
truly needs to be a book where there is a strong supporting cast, whether
permanent or rotating, to allow the reader to dig in.

Bruce Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 4  

Sorry - didn't mean to start a controversy. I did read the thread, although I admit that I may not have committed every post to memory. 

I apologize if my reaction to the notion of the Hulk being a killer was the same as any other poster's. But from here on out, I'll refrain from posting until I've cross-checked it against each of the 297,787 entries here at the JBF.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 5  

No worries, Bruce.  You're all good.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 6  

In the current incarnation of The Incredible Hulk, he kills...  like Russell Crowe.  Uh... I meant Maximus.

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 7  

Bruce, no controversy at all. Though your offer to commit all future posts to memory is an intriguing one, I wouldn't expect you to do so. I was thrown by the fact that your response is nearly identical, word-for-word, to mine.

I may have been a bit prickly when I typed out the additional statement about reading the posts, but it has happened to me twice in the past week.Obviously, our response wasn't overly complicated, it simply struck me odd that such a response would pop up twice in a fairly small thread.... now start memorizin', bub.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Don Bohm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 8  

I don't think its sad to discuss this kind of topic, we are comic book fans, we like to talk about comics in many different ways... and thats all it is, discussion.

Bruce Buchanan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 9  

Thanks, Matt.

I'm not familiar with the Brute, but I can see why that character wouldn't work. The Hulk's appeal always has been that he's a gentle, kind being at heart who only fights when provoked. We sympathize with him when Thunderbolt Ross won't leave him alone, for example.

Make him a killer - even an accidental one - and he instantly loses that appeal. Then, Ross & Co. are in the right, since they are protecting society from a legitimate menace, rather than hounding an innocent being who just wants to be left alone.  

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 10  

Don, It isn't sad to discuss the topic. Afterall, there are many other issues in the world that are heartbreaking and are important to discuss, dispite that fact. It is sad that the company owning the character has decided that the character can reasonably be put in situations where he knowingly kills.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 11  

I agree.  This discussion gives me an idea what others members are thinking and what they believe in a particular character like The Incredible Hulk.  And please lets get back on topic.  Yes it's sad--poo hoo, and yes we have the right to express it.  Phew! 

Does anyone believe the multiple personality angle for the Hulk has given reason to all these beliefs? 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2007 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 12  

Didn't you know? One of the Hulk's 8,756 personalities is "Serial Killer Hulk".

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version