Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: Does Hulk Kill? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 1  

I thought the Hulk killed Egor, the man responsible for Banner's near death?

Back to Top profile | search

Jeff Fettes
Byrne Robotics R&D

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

No. He absolutely does not kill.

The Hulk is not more "realistic" if he kills or causes deaths. People can accept that a man who weighs 150lbs can transform into a half-ton, green creature, that can smash mountains, but they can't accepts that over the years he's never been responsible for a death?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 3  

I thought the Hulk killed Egor, the man responsible for Banner's near death?

++++++++++++

If you're referring to Igor, Banner's traitorous assistant on the Gamma Bomb project, then no.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rance Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 4  

Hey, if you want the Hulk to be a killer, then he is. If you don't, then he isn't. Simple.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 5  

I want him to be a she-male. 

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 6:56pm | IP Logged | 6  

Oh God, Joe - they can make Hulk a killer all they want but the moment they get rid of the "but his purple pants always stay on" conceit I'm leaving comics for good!

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 7  

But Brad, that would be more realistic. No way he could grow that much and
not rip through them.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 8  

The pants need an origin story. Five issues, minimum. Get Bendis or JMS on it, stat!

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 9  

I just always assumed it was inevitable when I was a kid.
The destruction, the hero posse stuff, the government....
he's not a hero like Spider-Man, more like a train wreck that has a human element.  Like a hurricane, a force of nature, and seeing how the world deals with him is what the book should be about, other than his personal issues.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 10  

I don't grok the "elemental force" thing with the Hulk. He's specifically a being with a personality, a persona, a mind, not a hurricane causing mindless destruction. That's Godzilla. And even Godzilla is given a modicrum of motivation, depending on the situation.

I've never liked the "dumb" Hulk or the Savage Hulk or whatever you call him. I prefer a Hulk that is essentially Bruce Banner's ego turned all the way to 10, a brutish version of a man's base desires, the tight-ass Banner's passions unrestricted. In one sense it refers to sex, but in most ways, Banner is the Hulk, not the other way around. Every time Banner wanted to lash out, he did not; Banner as the Hulk however, has no such qualms.

The Hulk should not kill in a mainstream comic book, nor should any iconic superhero figure kill. As a rule.

Read Roger Stern's Hulk, both in the 70s and in INCREDIBLE HULK VS SUPERMAN. Stern's Hulk fits what I think of the character in a lot of ways, as a being following base needs like hunger, love, revenge; in IHVSS, the Hulk is the early Kirby version, articulate and dismissive. He wants what he wants and wants it now. Banner as Banner wants what he cannot bring himself to have. The Hulk carries through. The Hulk kidnaps Betty Ross to fulfill Banner's desires EDIT in the very first issue of the original Hulk comic.

Banner IS the Hulk, I reiterate. Writers have forgotten that, in the worst way. The Hulk is NOT a seperate entity, nor is he a faceless elemental force.

I will agree with Joe that I think the Hulk comic, like a lot of superhero comics, could stand some excellently rendered secondary characters to detract from the Hulk "formula". JB's Doc Samson for instance. You can invest the Hulk comic with cool characters, like in Stern's run with Gold Bug or Machine Man, Trish Starr, Doc Samson...which intensifies the Hulk action since you're actually afraid the Hulk will smash someone you like, instead of a stream of villains and guest stars.

Edited by Chad Carter on 28 February 2007 at 7:51pm

Robert Oren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 11  

So what do you all think - should Hulk be a killer or not?

only on weekends

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 9:05pm | IP Logged | 12  

If the question is "Does the destruction the Hulk creates result in off-panel deaths of innocents?"  then the answer is probably with whoever is writing the issue.

It makes sense to conclude that when the Hulk destroys a helicopter or jet plane or demolishes a 10 story building in a city, that there would be causualties, just not seen.  If this is Disney, and miraculously, everyone jettisoned the aircraft or evacutated the building, then so be it.

Throughout the history of the Hulk, Hulk has smashed hundreds, if not thousands of times.  If anyone ever died as a result of his violent behavior, then Hulk is guilty of manslaughter.  If Banner knows this, and then afterward allows Hulk to smash again, Banner could be charged with Depraved Heart Murder.

There is no question if the Hulk, in fact, did not cause the death of anyone.

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version