Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: OT The Perfect Sequel / Trilogy (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 6:33am | IP Logged | 1  

Steven,

This is where definitions of what we mean would help. When I think of a series of books, I think of things like Doc Savage, Sherlock Holmes or even many mystery books or your basic comic title in that there is not a pre-conceived end, that the books aren't about one single story ultimately. A series is where each book or chapter is a complete work in itself, though maybe carrying characters, character growth and themes across various books, but each novel stands on its own and this could continue for who knows how long. Whereas for something to be considered a trilogy or epic, it should ultimately have a set ending, the books or story should only really be complete when the whole thing is done. Thus I think of Indiana Jones and Star Trek movies being a series whereas the original Star Wars is a trilogy. This may be colored a bit from the comics world, but it seems to carry over in television as well, they use terms like mini-series or limited series to define the ones that do have a specific set of issues/episodes to tell their story to differentiate them from what is normally termed a series.

Never read the original Terry Brooks Shannarah trilogy, just a more recent one as I got a copy real cheap and then found out I had to get two more books to finish the story, and that the next trilogy was going to carry over one of those characters 20 years later or so. So, from what I see on the shelf, I'd consider it a series of trilogies.

Which is where the restrictions in this thread are very limiting in that it's asking for something that fulfills criteria of something that's usually two different approaches: more than one story with each standing on its own yet ultimately considered one set story: The Illiad & The Odyssey. Most Trilogies and such are serial in nature and you can graph out the story being told as it builds towards its conclusion. Whereas most of your series literature or movies with sequels are not, Halloween I, II, III etc.
Back to Top profile | search | www

William McCormick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 2  

Jesus, and here I thought he just meant 3 separate things that made up one complete story. Whether or not characters or situations were picked up later, you can still read the first 3 Shannara books and have a complete story. If Terry Brooks had never written anymore Shannara books the story would have been done. I fail to see how it matters if they were conceived as a trilogy or not. 3 books, 1 story, a trilogy. 3 movies, 1 story, a trilogy. Why does everyone on this board have to nitpick everything to death?
Back to Top profile | search

Paul Go
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
John Christopher's Tripods.

I second this.  Fantastic trilogy.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 4  

I've been eyeing this John Christopher Tripod trilogy to introduce my son to
it, but I never read it myself so I'm not sure if it's his cup of tea.

I'll have to check this out, I guess. Thanks for the recommendations.

Andrew Kneath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 5  

I fail to see how it matters if they were conceived as a trilogy or not. 3 books, 1 story, a trilogy. 3 movies, 1 story, a trilogy.

It matters within the context of this thread which is to look for a works where the multiple parts perfectly compliment each other but where each segment is to some degree still a distinct work.

If I had not made this rule then LOTR would have been an easy answer for many but this was a work that is not a trilogy in the true sense of the word since the three books only deal with one specific adventure/plot.

Ot to put it another way, I wanted to avoid boring answers.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2007 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

Lyndon Hardys' Magic in Triplicate

Master of the Five Magics
Secret of the Sixth Magic
Riddle of the Seven Realms

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 4