Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: OT The Perfect Sequel / Trilogy (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 1  

although if you bring in THE HOBBIT and THE SILMARILLION, you might be able to consider it the definition of a trilogy as presented here

Not so sure about the Silmarillion (Not read it, but I don't believe it's a straight story?) But LOTR could definitely be considered as a sequel to The Hobbit according to my strict rules. Whether it's an equal work and not a far greater work is another matter though.

Back to Top profile | search

Jason Gourlay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 2  

I have to suggest Kay's Fionavar Tapestry. Sure he's doing fantasy, but for his first novels, it was actually done really, really well. And you know it's a trilogy based on the cliff hanger endings.

Jason

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 3  

SCI FI Writer John Varley had a great trilogy back in the 80's - Titan, Wizard & Demon ... back when writers tended not to do trilogies.

And while I haven't read them (not a fan, but my wife was), the series of Dune books by Frank Herbert were revered by fans.

Film wise - I agree with the "Back to the Future" films, even though the first was originally a stand-alone film (the idea for the follow-ups came later); in terms of more recent films, the "Pirates of the Carribean" may also apply - but this is only because of Kirea Knightly! (and the same thing applies here - the first was not necessary intended to have follow-ups, but did so based on ticket sales), and we haven't yet seen the third film.

Comics - While perhaps not a true "trilogy", Spiderman 31-33 should be considered, given the Master Planner/Doc Ock surprise, Peter Parker going to college (with a new cast of characters - Gwen Stacy & Harry Osborn) and that great Ditko artwork in issue 33 with Spiderman lifting the concrete/iron crap off of him.  Even Aunt May's illness seemed problematic back then - she got an infection from Peter's blood.  And this was back in the days before the Internet, before organized fandom and before multiple Spiderman titles (only one per month)!

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 4  

Any Robertson Davies fans here?

Years ago read the Salterton Trilogy (Tempest-Tost, Leaven of Malice,
Mixture of Frailties), and then the Deptford Trilogy (Fifth Business, the
Manticore, World of Wonders).
I like one more than the other, but Davies did a fantastic job in both sets:
telling three completely different stories in three completely different ways.

Highly recommend these.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 5  

I take it the Rabbi Small mysteries (by Harry Kemelman) wouldn't fit in this
category? It begins with Friday The Rabbi Slept Late and each book that
follows indicates a "day of the week theme." To me, the latter books make
the perfect sequels. Each of the following books take place at later points in
the Rabbi's life, so in a sense we grow older with him.

David Kingsley Kingsley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 6  

Monte, that reminds me: John Updike's "Rabbit" series--quite possibly the greatest thing that I have ever read.

Andrew Kneath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 7  

Novels : I really loved Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy. (Red, Green and Blue Mars)

I also enjoyed his Orange County/Three California's Trilogy - "The Gold Coast", "The Wild Shore", and "Pacific Edge" which depicted three different visions of the future, the only connection being the gerneral location and (though IIRC his name changes) one supporting character. The tenuous connection meant that these books truly were equally accessible.

Movies : Anyone realise that Terry Gilliams, Time Bandits, Brazil and Baron Munchausen form a lose trilogy about fantasy versus reality? The main character in each part character being a boy, a man and an old man respectively.

Edited by Andrew Kneath on 28 February 2007 at 6:21am

Darragh Greene
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 8  

Sophocles's Oedipus the Tyrant followed over twenty years later by
Oedipus at Colonus.

Tony Marine
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 9  

My favorite trilogy (though I have not read many trilogies), would be The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.  Books 1, 2, and 3:

Lord Foul's Bane

The Illearth War

The Power That Preserves

I first read the series when I was about 12, and have re-read it every few years since then.  The second trilogy of that series is also good.  AND - there is a third trilogy in the works - book one is already published.

By the way, I am looking for the original art to the covers of some of these books.  See images here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=4061

or

http://cafurl.com?i=3488

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 10  

Andrew,

I was trying to remember if it was Kim Stanley Robinson that wrote the California trilogy. It's probably about as pure example of what we seem to be looking for here. One doesn't have to read the 3 in order or even all of them, each novel stands completely on its own but they are meant to be a package deal, compared and contrasted with each other (in fact, I only read PACIFIC EDGE to compare and contrast with Wells' WHEN THE SLEEPER WAKES and Bradbury's FAHRENHEIT 451). Even trilogies like BACK TO THE FUTURE depend on you actually watching them in order, otherwise you won't get much out of any of them other than the first one. Will grant that LOTR doesn't really require reading THE HOBBIT or vice versa. Both stand pretty well on their own, explaining all you need to know in-story. In fact, reading both back to back might be a bit confusing as the writing style is very different as is the character of Elrond.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 11  

To follow up and clarify what was said earlier, the original Shannara trilogy (Sword, Elfstones, Wishsong) are each a complete story.  The first was not written with the intent of a sequel, the second was written the same way.  Terry Brooks did an excellent job finding new stories from his original works.  Since then he has done series based on this fantasy world, but what constitutes his original trilogy was not a series.

Back to the Future or Star Wars are stand alones made into series. You need part 2 to get to part 3.  Indiana Jones is not really a series, because each is a complete story. Narnia or Oz are examples of intended to be stand alones with sequels, each being a story in itself. I think both Narnia and Oz suffer from a lot of retcons to make the sequels viable, yet they are still (mostly) good books.

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 11:23pm | IP Logged | 12  

Anybody out there read "The Alien Chronicles" by Deborah Chester.  Solid Sci-Fi trilogy...put out by Lucasfilm.  No tie-in to Star Wars...at least none that I'm aware of.

Also...has anyone mentioned "Enders Game" and it's sequels?

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version