Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: OT The Perfect Sequel / Trilogy (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2007 at 10:07pm | IP Logged | 1  

Mike Sawin wrote:

Lonesome Dove, The Streets of Laredo, Commanche Moon and Dead Man's Walk tell that tale of Captain Woodrow McCall's life, which just happens to span the history of the American West.

Lonesome Dove is an all time great.  And I would agree that Commanche Moon is very good.  But Streets of Laredo was such a downer.  And Dead Man's Walk was just brutal.
Back to Top profile | search

Rob Spalding
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 3:12am | IP Logged | 2  

I'd say The Dark Tower by Stephen King - although I'm not sure if you might consider it just 1 long story.

Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton - a fantastic work.

Rey Madrinan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 4:53am | IP Logged | 3  

In spite of being a trilogy ment to inspire a D&D setting, the Dragonlance Trilogy by Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman is quite good. Though it might fall under the same category as LOTR.

Edit: D'oh! I skipped right over Michals post!

Edited by Rey Madrinan on 26 February 2007 at 4:55am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Kneath
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 5:32am | IP Logged | 4  

I am a big fan of all the Back to the Future movies but with it's cliffhanger ending Part II was not as satisfying a movie for me as the other two.

William McCormick
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 5  

The Original Shannara Trilogy by Terry Brooks. Which also led me to seek out things like The Lord Of The Rings.

Mike Duncan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 6  

The works of Jasper Fforde - specifically his "Thursday Next" series of novels:

"The Eyre Affair", "Lost in a Good Book", "The Well of Lost Plots" and "Something Rotten". Perfect stuff.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 7  

I am a big fan of all the Back to the Future movies but with it's cliffhanger ending Part II was not as satisfying a movie for me as the other two.

I enjoyed BTTF because it was a sweet story about a kid fixing up his parents that used time travel as a MacGuffin to accomplish this. The other films seemed to be more aboutthe MacGuffin (time travel).

Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 8  

Mike - Word!

The set of Thursday Next stories are brilliant! Fun little adventure mystery
stories, and in the case of this thread they all tie together with various plots,
that all get wrapped up in the fourth book.

Any of you out there reading this (yes, you!) need to go read these, now. At
least the first one, "The Eyre Affair," which has a near perfect mix of science
fiction, humour, and literature.

And Fforde's little spin-off project, Nursery Crimes, is also brilliant.

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 9  

I'm going with Isaac Asimov's works. He managed to tie in his Foundation stories with his robot stories, and a few other of his science fiction novels into a more-or-less cohesive whole. Great stuff!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2007 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 10  

I second Shannara!  A great example of "sequels" that aren't retellings of the first story, yet are of the same setting.  Too often you can easily tell when a sequel is made up after the fact and doesn't fit the original, or just does the original story all over again.  And as mentioned, series (LOTR, Harry Potter) aren't really sequels.

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 2:08am | IP Logged | 11  

Captain Woodrow McCall's

Call.  Not McCall.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2007 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 12  

Seems to me that the definition used here is extremely limiting. The Shanara series is just that, a series. Each story is then broken down into trilogies in that the individual novels don't stand on their on, you have to get several books to get the whole story, the whole arc just like LOTR. The next story arc builds on that but is in reality a separate trilogy with some of the same characters and setting. Otherwise it's really no different from the Doc Savage novels. Ditto on the Weiss Hickman Dragonlance books that I've seen. Most things that are called trilogies are fashioned the same way as the Shanara, LOTR model (although if you bring in THE HOBBIT and THE SILMARILLION, you might be able to consider it the definition of a trilogy as presented here).

I think to be a trilogy as we seem to be trying to go for here, the set has to be pretty much considered a full complete story in and of itself as well as the individual books being able to stand on it's on. Something like how Bradbury's MARTIAN CHRONICLES is a collection of short stories that also almost form a narrative, a linear progression in the colonization of Mars. In movies, the BACK TO THE FUTURE set or I'd consider the original STAR WARS movies as being fairly good examples of what's going for here, though both suffer a bit in the 2nd act being mostly setup for the final payoff. In books, you do have Dumas 3 Musketeers books (although I was thinking there were more than just the 3 books). C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia and his Perelandra trilogy also work.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version