Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Captain Mar-Vell question for all (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 1  

"Is the Swordsman next?  When are they going to sh*t on my favorite comic ever - GIANT -SIZE AVENGERS #2?"

Well they did introduce an alternate version of the Swordsman in Bob Harras's run of the Avengers. He debuted in Avengers (Vol. 1) #343/44. I don't think that version has been seen since the late 90s though. The original remains dead as far as I know.
Back to Top profile | search

Patrick T Ditton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 2  

My question is: Since Mar-Vell is still wearing/using the nega-bands - if he bangs them together does he switch with Rick Jones again?

Mar-Vell's existence in the present day post-Civil War universe could be interesting.  It certainly raises several paradoxical questions/situations.  Superboy used to travel to his future regularly with the LSH - and they would just wipe his memory of future events each time he time-travelled.  Mar-Vell has "cosmic awareness" - an ability never fully explored - you'ld think if he was truly in-tune with the cosmos he'd have a sort-of spider-sense thing whenever he started doing something that had a potential of messing with past-events.

JB on Mar-Vell - I'd love to see it.  I think Mar-Vell is a character that holds up well when pushed to creative limits (cancer death, case-in-point) - and JB has often pushed those limits with other characters.  I think there are a lot of great sci-fi stories to be told that don't have to be about super-powers - what better character than Mar-Vell to tell them.

Mar-Vell is kind of a Green Lantern type, anyway - his stories shouldn't be Earth-bound.

Any Mar-Vell fans have any story ideas they'd like to see Marvel try with the returned version of Mar-Vell?  Anyone...?

Edited by Patrick T Ditton on 07 February 2007 at 5:36pm

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 3  

Stephane Garrelie wrote:
Englehart / Milgrom: Followed Starlin. Englehart isn't fond of his run on the title. It was for him pure commercial writing i understand. He wrote it because it had to be done, and for the money.

I really enjoyed the first storyline in that run, The Trial of the Watcher (issues 37-39).  Very well done, comparable in quality to the Starlin stuff.  The Milgrom/Janson art combination works very well, too.  After that the stories get less interesting, and Milgrom is assigned other inkers who don't work as well with his pencils.   This is below-average Englehart compared to the other stuff he was doing at the time.

Just curious, have they established what time period this Civil War Captain Marvel from the past comes from? 

Kor Watkins wrote:
To Jason C., Uncle Ben was brought back (from an alternate timeline) in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.... sort of a back-door resurrection...

Is this ongoing?  What are they doing with the character?  Marvel really has become a self parody in terms of what they will do for cheap shock value, it seems.

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 2:14am | IP Logged | 4  

I have had (but I switched it for anoher book) a Captain Marvel issue 1 with a female black Captain Marvel. Can you tell me how this Marvel fits into the timeline? How many Captain Marvels are there? Do hey start new CM's every now and then to not lose the rights? If I want to read about Mar-Vell, where should I start, are there any Essentials or such compilations you can recommend? Thank you for this Mar-Vell thread, very interesting.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 5  

There have been three so far.

The first is Mar-Vell.  He debuted in Marvel Super-Heroes #12 in the late 60s and continued until the "Death of Captain Marvel" OGN in 1982.  Not much in the way of reprints - there's a Marvel Masterworks volume (don't know how far it got) and a tpb called "The Life and Death of Captain Marvel" which reprints the Starlin stuff.  (CM #25-34 + Death - aka "the good stuff" :-) )  No Essentials yet.  I'd get the Starlin book and skip the Masterworks.  Hold out for an Essential if you get interested in the earlier stuff.  Mar-Vell was one of those characters they were never sure what to do with, which will either make the series more interesting for you or annoy you.

The second is a black woman named Monica Rambeau.  She debuted in Amazing Spidey Annual #16 and joined the Avengers shortly thereafter (#227-294).  After leaving the Avengers, she's basically putted around Marvel Limbo, popping up here and there, including two one-shots.  She's currently in NextWave with a new name.

The third is a "test tube baby" son of Mar-Vell named Genis.  Basically Mar-Vell's girlfriend used some of his genetic material to impregnate herself.  He debuted as "Legacy" in a Silver Surfer annual in the late 90s, and popped around here and there.  Then he got his own shortlived (6 issue) series and took the Captain Marvel name.  After the Avengers Forever series, he got merged with Rick Jones and starred in two back to back ongoings (34 and 25 issues respectively - there was a restart in the middle in an effort to gain readers).  After those ended, he got folded into Thunderbolts and was recently killed off in #100.

And yes, I imagine a large part of the reason they keep trying out new Marvels is to retain the rights.  (Although I'd think leaving the Starlin book in print would cover their bases.)

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 6  

Thanks Dave. I'll look for the Starlin stuff.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jeff Marvin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 7  

The Death of Captian Marvel OGN is 25 years old?  I feel ancient ...

Jason Carpenter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 8  

You can get the ROy Thomas and Gil Kane issues for a song and a dance at most conventions and that stuff is also DAMN GOOD. Al Milgrom's run is a very good and after Kane is the best CM artist followed by Starlin, who seems to have been in flux as an artist on CM, finding his footing though by the time it was over he was damn good and almost to his Warlock levels as an artist.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 9  

Picked up The Life and Death of Captain Marvel. Really great stuff.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2007 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 10  

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2007 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 11  

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2007 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 12