Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 48 Next >>
Topic: Stories that should NEVER be told.. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 1  

"You can't expect anyone to take what you have to say seriously if you
slam someone for doing something you allow yourself to do.

There are people that take Joe Zhang seriously?

edited for weak web-fu

Edited by Brian Crispkey on 08 February 2007 at 5:46am
Back to Top profile | search

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 2  

Well, I would like to--and there have been times when I have--but those contradictions and sniping comments really put me off.

Edited by Thomas Moudry on 08 February 2007 at 7:32am

Rey Madrinan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 3  

How is he a loser?  He's a retired crimefighter who is very wealthy.  He's a decent human being who simply misses his crimefighting days.  Where do you get self-loathing from?  Was there a 13th issue that I didn't read?

------------------------------------------------

It is possible I remeber stuff wrong, as I did read it some time ago. As I read him, he was completely stuck on his old super-hero days, and he hadn't done anything with his life since then, kind of like the guy who played high school football and can't seem to get beyond that. Maybe loser is a bit harsh, but he seemed like he could have been doing a whole heck of a lot more then sitting around and moping.

The self-loathing, I will admit, was a jumped to conclusion. I guess I took what I feel is the writers apparent distaste for the genre in question and applied it to the characters.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 4  

"Point to the specific example you used to explain your position in this post."

The one about the rape.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 5  

Angry and sarcastic. A winning combination. 

Gee..Brian I'f I didn't KNOW any better I'd say that this little magnum opus of yours was a bit angry and sarcastic too...not to mention hypocrtitcal and just you generally being bitchy because I don't like your favorite book as much as you think I should. 

Don't worry Emery, I'll be sure to mention it to Rafael when lengthy, angry and confrontational posts start to become his signature tune as well.

No. You won't and this has already been demonstrated when you missed two perfectly good chances to. Apparently you can only psychically detect the anger of people you disagree with them about how good some comic is. Sort of like how Superman can't see through lead.

You can file that one in the drawer you keep your medication in.

Nope. It gets filed by the broken rubber band and the burger wrapper too. Can you guess why? (Without being angry and sarcastic yourself)? Or maybe you only bitch and whine so much when other people are angry and sarcastic...

Whatever. The only medication I am currently taking is the occasional tylenol. But I am amused that you are actually arrogant enough and so habitually drawn to cliche that you were moved to imaginarily prescribe pharmacy to those you so arbitrarily and worthlessly label as "angry and sarcastic" in your never ending quest to see to everyone's mental health and maturity, (save your own). 

The lesson here is : don't screw with Brian or he'll prescibe you phantom medication and provide you with up date demographics showing how much the whole internet doesn't like you and why. That's why Brian rakes in the big bucks around here and I take his every word so incredibly serious that I don't dare mock him or blow him off or anything like that. Ever. A man could just about end up out in the corn field that way!

Edited by Emery Calame on 08 February 2007 at 12:08pm

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 6  

That only supports an opinion. It doesn't make it a fact. What you said about there being nothing super or heroic in Watchmen is completely subjective--completely opinion. You've stated that opinion in the third person--the same thing you criticized another poster for doing--and you've supported that opinion with an example that you feel supports it. Still, it's an opinion, even though you believe it to be a fact.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 7  

" What you said about there being nothing super or heroic in Watchmen is completely subjective--completely opinion"

Any observation has some degree of subjectivity. And I did not disagree with the guy pointing out that my observation was subjective. All I did was decline to rewrite my statement.

Patrick Drury
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 8  

The one about the rape.
----------------------------

Your initial post didn't say anything about rape.  It simply said:

"Watchmen was the superhero genre through the lens of the Underground Comix. There's nothing super or heroic in the Watchmen. 'Nuff said."

You gave your example later on when someone questioned you, but your initial post was just an opinion stated as fact - which, for the record, I have no problem with.  I'm more than capable of determining when someone is stating a subjective opinion regardless of how they preface it.  You, however, got your panties in a bunch when I did it - then turned around and did it yourself.  That's why Thomas and Matt are saying you lack credibility.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 9  

"You've stated that opinion in the third person--the same thing you criticized another poster for doing"

I'm not sure "third person" is the correct term there.

I disagreed with his declaration the entire previous three decades of Superman comics until Grant Morrison's was bad. It may have been bad for him, but not for everyone.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 10  

"You gave your example later on when someone questioned you, but your initial post was just an opinion stated as fact - which, for the record, I have no problem with. "

I have no problem with opinion stated as fact either, so long as the opinion is backed up with fact.

Patrick Drury
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 11  

I have no problem with opinion stated as fact either, so long as the opinion is backed up with fact.
----------------------------

Which you made no attempt to do in your initial post.  I'm pretty sure you know that, though, and are just dancing around for the sake of it.  I've can't believe I felt the need to  try and clarify your own silliness for you to this degree.  I feel like I'm on a cable news show arguing with Ann Coulter.

Brian Crispkey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 12  

I'm sorry Emery, did you say something? Nothing actually related to the
point made, so I guess not.

Watchmen is nowhere near my favourite book, by the way.

<< Prev Page of 48 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version