Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 48 Next >>
Topic: Stories that should NEVER be told.. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 9:48pm | IP Logged | 1  

Patrick, the difference is that the movies are finite. They're not meant to be infinite. If you make an infinite series of "whatever", people will get confused and you'll lose interest. I'm sure if there was an X-Men movie twice every year, things would be different. Why make a continuing series if you don't want consumers to tag along for a long run?

So, to reiterate! I think if you want to make a comic for adults, please, stop using super heroes. That's the story that doesn't need to be told anymore.

Edited by Martin Redmond on 07 February 2007 at 9:50pm
Back to Top profile | search

Patrick Drury
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 10:37pm | IP Logged | 2  

"Watchmen was the superhero genre through the lens of the Underground Comix. There's nothing super or heroic in the Watchmen. 'Nuff said."

---------------

Point to the specific example you used to explain your position in this post.

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 10:46pm | IP Logged | 3  

wow . . i just realized i've been confusing Rance and Patrick for days if not weeks . . 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tony Marine
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 10:49pm | IP Logged | 4  

Nite Owl 2 was a loser. Not a loser like Spider-Man, who does the right thing in the end. But an unsatisfied, self-loathing sad sack.

How is he a loser?  He's a retired crimefighter who is very wealthy.  He's a decent human being who simply misses his crimefighting days.  Where do you get self-loathing from?  Was there a 13th issue that I didn't read?

Tony Marine
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 10:55pm | IP Logged | 5  

So, to reiterate! I think if you want to make a comic for adults, please, stop using super heroes. That's the story that doesn't need to be told anymore.

I'll chime in here (even though I don't know who we are addressing).  Please continue to use superheroes to tell adult and/or mature stories.  As a matter of fact, use superheroes to tell any story you want, but please make sure that it is GOOD.  Martin - feel free not to buy or read them if/when they do get published - that way everyone will be happy.

Patrick Drury
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 6  

wow . . i just realized i've been confusing Rance and Patrick for days if not weeks . .
================

For future reference, I'm the really good looking one.

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 11:56pm | IP Logged | 7  

Patrick Drury wrote:
For future reference, I'm the really good looking one.

I read your statment then looked at your avatar and thought, "Omigosh -- he's Lois . . . or is that Sen-El?"

Tom Tryon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 12:01am | IP Logged | 8  

Dave Rolls asked:

Tom, Im intrigued... did you first read Watchmen when it originally came out, or more recently?

I answer:

When it first came out, month by month (kind of - the schedule was less than faithful to the "monthly" custom). I've not been compelled to read it again.

Tom Tryon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 12:20am | IP Logged | 9  

James Hanson made a whole lot of points.

James, I've not been around so I didn't see your well thought out response til tonight, and I don't wish to seem rude, so I acknowlege your post, but confess I'm too lazy to respond point-by-point.

There is one part I'll address. As for the rest, let's just leave it at "different strokes for different folks".

Me: Finally, I predicted the ending and was extremely disappointed that a no-talent amateur like me could precog a writer of Alan Moore's stature.

James' commentary: Wow, you could predict that Ozymandias would biogenetically create a fake alien, then attempt to destroy Dr. Manhattan, then seem at the brink of victory, then Manhattan would recreate himself, defeat Ozymandias physically, and then kill Rorscach? Man, you've got some eye, I wouldn't say a "no talent amatuer" at all.

My reply: Yes, to all of it. Thanks James, even if you meant the compliment tongue-in-cheek. What I really remember was after finishing issue # 10 and then # 11, I got a general feeling of "Oh no, they're not going to end it like that. What a rip off. If I can see it coming, then I'm sure it will be different, something spectacular that I'd never see coming." Then issue # 12 came out and I was terribly disappointed to find that I was right the first time.

As for all of you who enjoyed it, and those who think it was greatest comic story of all time, good for you. Enjoy. I'm not trying to ruin your good time. I'm just explaining how I never had that good time to begin with. Once again, different strokes.

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 12:21am | IP Logged | 10  

Same here Tom -- I read it as each issue hit the newsstand (or comic shop, as it were).  I think I may have read through it once or twice since then, but it's not something I find myself regularly drawn back to -- it made its impression, and failing to make my all-time favorite list, it doesn't hold enough attraction to make it worth re-reading on any kind of a regular basis.

Dave Rolls
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 2:26am | IP Logged | 11  

Fair play to you then, guys. I usually find the Watchmen naysayers are folks who have been told for many years that its a truly great piece of literature, then get round to reading it some 20 years after it was published only to be somewhat underwhelmed.

Tom again (and Im not picking on you!) how... just how... could you predict that Ozymandias would biogenetically create a fake alien??? That was the one thing that really jarred with the rest of the tale for me - the completely left-field ending. As I recall theres maybe one page in the whole series of that artist sketching something squidlike - thats the only attempt at foreshadowing in the whole thing.

Tom Tryon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2007 at 3:24am | IP Logged | 12  

Seemed to me like the only thing he could do, given that particular set of circumstances and the goal he wished to accomplish.

<< Prev Page of 48 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version