Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 48 Next >>
Topic: Stories that should NEVER be told.. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 1  

"You might want to re-word this then:

'Watchmen was the superhero genre through the lens of the Underground
Comix. There's nothing super or heroic in the Watchmen. 'Nuff said." "No, that's alright.'

"No, that's alright."

But in another thread you took someone to task for his opinion on a particular Superman era because it was stated in the third person. Goose or gander? You can state opinions in the third person, but others cannot. Interesting.

Edited by Thomas Moudry on 07 February 2007 at 8:38pm
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 2  

Oh sure he can do that. Just as it's my right to question him. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rafael Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 3  

Emery Calame wrote:
From what I can tell Rafael sounds a bit angry too but you seem to have let him off the hook somehow.

Angry? Not at all. Amused is more like it. Like a discussion trying to prove the Beatles is a lousy rock band. We are all entitled to our opinions. Doesn't make such opinions right, you know?

Not by all of it, mind you. You and David were having a terribly interesting discussion about Rorschach, which I enjoyed reading. Thanks for that.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 4  

"Oh sure he can do that. Just as it's my right to question him."

But your comments lose validity when you do what you criticize others for doing.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 5  

I saw Next Men mentioned up-thread, and it just makes me miss it more and more more.

You know, JB, when I picked up the first issue of Next Men all those years ago, I thought, "Gee. This isn't what I'm used to seeing from him." But as I read it, I realized that's a good thing, isn't it? It's really something when someone takes a step to the side of what has always sort of defined him/her in the public eye and follows his/her own vision. That's why I miss Next Men: it was just flat-out cool to see you doing something that was yours and yours alone.

Edited by Thomas Moudry on 07 February 2007 at 7:22pm

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 6  

"But your comments lose validity when you do what you criticize others for doing."

Nope.

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 7  

"Nite Owl 2 was a loser. Not a loser like Spider-Man, who does the right thing in the end. But an unsatisfied, self-loathing sad sack."

For whatever reason, that really made me smile, Rey. Love the phrasing at the end there!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 8  

Thomas Moudry wrote:
 Joe Zhang wrote:
But your comments lose validity when you do what you criticize others for doing.

Nope.

Thomas is right, Joe, whether you choose to believe it or not.  You can't expect anyone to take what you have to say seriously if you slam someone for doing something you allow yourself to do.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 9  

It was different because I was able to explain my position with a specific example. I didn't dismiss something purely out of personal taste, as in the other case.

Patrick T Ditton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 10  

...since Bryan Singer's crappy X-Men movie now appears to be the touchstone of both regular X-verse and Ultimate X-verse -- does it really matter what awesome story was produced 25 years ago?  Hell, there's a 3rd Summers brother now -- a whole team of X-men that were kept hidden, Colossus and Northstar are Gay - blah, blah, blah.  I guess my point is that if the story is good at the time, tell it (oh - Colossus and Northstar are NOT gay) - why be so restricted by continuity - everyone seems okay with the idea that Kitty Pride was 13 years old in 1981 - heck - I was 10.  I seem to have aged to 36 but Kitty is only 20 - In fact I read an X-men comic last year, or so, that quite clearly stated Cyclops (or Jean Grey) was only 21 !!!!  So time and aging are acceptable disbelief factors that can be suspended for the sake of a good yarn - but retcon an origin or twist a story to keep a future reality alive -- whoa - look out.  I know I've missed the point of the blog "stories that never should be told" but - that would account for most of the 1990s, some of the 1980s, all of Image Comics books, several years of the 70s and so on --- the "classics" will endure - so pick what you like, stick with it - and hope it becomes a classic story - else it be forgotten anf fiddled with.  I liked MAN OF STEEL - depowering Superman - now he's back to his silly-old pre-crisis self with polka-dot kryptonite and flying cats -- I just have to stick around long enough for the next Byrne-type creator to do something wonderful to the book.

Okay -- everyone -- rip me to shreds...

Rafael Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 11  

QUOTE:
oh - Colossus and Northstar are NOT gay

The guy who, you know, created one of those characters might disagree...

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2007 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 12  

"Okay -- everyone -- rip me to shreds..."

I agree with most of that -- I think.

<< Prev Page of 48 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version