Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 48 Next >>
Topic: Stories that should NEVER be told.. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 1  

I'm plenty calm James. I just disagree on so many levels with some of the things people throw out as fact around here.

Like, "superhero comics are just like the Peanuts comic strip". No, they aren't. They have similarities, but they aren't the same thing. At one time they were even more similar than they are now! That doesn't mean that comic books should remain as they were.

No one has really come up with a convincing argument for me that shows the darker stories are causing harm to the industry either. I lay that blame firmly at the feet of things like the internet and computer games. (To a much lesser degree I think the disregard for deadlines has hurt the industry as well).

Back to Top profile | search

Rance Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 2  

Troy Nunis wrote:
No one is "deciding" for you what you should be reading - so stop over reacting to a discussion. Your Precious comics will remain save in yer little hiding places . . no one is coming to get them. Really . . Honest. That said, YOU have no RIGHT whatsoever to tell US we can't discuss if one of your darling little tombs MIGHT have been a pretty bad idea and damaging to a genera, if not the industry as a whole.

No over reaction here Troy. I have no doubt that there are people who would decide for me what I should be reading if they could however.

I read back over my post and didn't see anywhere where I told anyone they couldn't discuss whatever they like either. Regardless, if you read that into it, please believe I was not trying to convey that intent.

I also am not worried in the least about anyone coming to take my comics away or that any discussions here are going to have the slightest impact on the industry. I am simply voicing my opinion. I thought that would be obvious.

Troy Nunis wrote:
I also feel that someone who has even LESS credentials that THAT has even LESS "authrotity" to determine WHO does and doesn't have the "authority", or as i like to call it "Insight and Wisdom", to determine what is and isn't acceptable for a genre.

Isn't that odd? Where you see "insight and wisdom" I often see arrogance and conceit. I've also been reading comic books for 36 years, so I figure I have as many"credentials" as the majority of people who post on this forum. Nothing stays the same forever, not even comic books. Live with it.

James Revilla
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 3  

"superhero comics are just like the Peanuts comic strip".

That really wasn't what was said but you know that. And no one is trying to convince YOU of anything. We are having a conversation about stories and their impact on comics in general...let us know when you want to jump in

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 8:52pm | IP Logged | 4  

This is akin to coming across a burnt down building and chiding someone for saying the arsonist shoudln't have played with matches by saying "hey, he bought the matches who are you to tell him how he can use them?"

Yes, he's FREE to do whatever the publishers let and pay him to do, he set out to deconstruct superheroes -- and now they are all burnt to the ground - and he shouldn't have done it - as even HE now has made regretful sounds for being careless with the matches he was FREE to do with as he pleased. This whole thread is about what SHOULD not be/have been done -- and Deconstruction is certainly a prime topic for consideration, and Watchmen was the first match.

I'd say it was a guy putting on a fireworks show and then a bunch of kids going home and trying to do it themselves and it ending in disaster.

I don't really like the analogy overall. The failure of the comicbook market lies in editorial and business decisions more than a single miniseries from the 80's.

I disagree that deconstruction should never be done. I do agree that it shouldn't be done with established characters and that it shouldn't be the mainstream.

James Revilla
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 5  

I disagree that deconstruction should never be done. I do agree that it shouldn't be done with established characters and that it shouldn't be the mainstream.

James !! We agree finally !! Hot damn...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 6  

Watchmen wannabes are wastes of time because regular people don't give a **** about super heroes. It's doing your ultra serious intellectual comic a disservice.

Now the question you have to ask yourself is why does every single comic character's profession HAS to be super hero? Honestly, if you want to tell a really deep, serious story for a large public about a disgruntled worker, what's better? Having your main characters be super heroes runing around in silly costumes? Or to have them be doctors, lawyers or even god damn workers in an abatoir? In my opinion, scenario B is way more appropriate for those stories. Everytime you use super heroes, you're still pandering to the exact same audience, it doesn't expand the readership at all. No one wants to read about Spider Man's hemoroids except aging, hardcore fanboys in denial. Repeating Watchmen is a lost cause.

Rance Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 7  

Martin, while I don't think there is a high demand for stories about anyone's hemorrhoids, apparently there is a desire for more realistic stories about people with super powers. Since businesses succeed by giving its consumers products they want, I think it is a good idea to continue with the more realistic approach.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 11:10pm | IP Logged | 8  

Martin, while I don't think there is a high demand for stories about anyone's hemorrhoids, apparently there is a desire for more realistic stories about people with super powers. Since businesses succeed by giving its consumers products they want, I think it is a good idea to continue with the more realistic approach.

---

While I agree with this, I don't think it's the best route to use established characters to do this. It's just creating a niche of an already niche audience. You run the risk of losing readers who preferred the more traditional approach, and people who may be interested in the more "realistic" approach may be turned off by characters more associated with traditional superhero comics.

Rafael Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2007 at 1:12am | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
Nothing stays the same forever, not even comic books.

Precisely.

In fact, every single writer or artist who has achieved any kind of notoriety it's  because they didn't produced work which was the same as everyone's else.

Guys like Will Eisner, Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Neal Adams, Jack Kirby, and of course, the very person whom this site is dedicated to, didn't became the stars they are for making pedestrian comic books. They pushed the envelope. They dared. Whether by words or lines, they changed the way we view comic books, or characters or Universes.

Rafael Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2007 at 1:28am | IP Logged | 10  

QUOTE:
Thats really not fair. A parody is different then a story like the watchmen, which was played in a very serious manner. Those movies are jests, the Watchmen seems like an attack.

An "attack"?

Seriously?

Examining certain themes and ideas inherent to the superhero genre seems like an attack to you? I suppose I'll just agree to disagree.

Because Wildstorm's recently canceled series The Boys, written by Garth Ennis, that's what I would call an "attack". Make that every single story written by Garth Ennis, with the notable exception of one starring Superman. Those are attacks to the superhero genre.

Rick Vietch's Brat Pack would be another.

Marshal Law is little more than a vicious attack on superheroes.

But Watchmen? No. That doesn't seem to be its intent. It's just a superhero story which uses a different, decidedly darker and unflattering, point of view. More skillfully, and maturely, written than most usual superhero fare.

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2007 at 1:34am | IP Logged | 11  

The Trial and subsequent Death of Barry Allen were not necessary, in my opinion.
Ditto for the Death of Supergirl, although I acknowledge that it was a fine dramatic moment in Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Abolishing Earth 1/Earth2 created far more problems than it solved, as did the radical rebooting of some characters and concepts post-Crisis. I'm thinking specifically of the Superboy/Legion mess (although I understand that this was due to editorial whim), and the JLA's now-convoluted history.

Also, unnecessary revamps like Emerald Dawn,  or Hawkworld, which thoroughly discard  a solid previous continuity are ill- adviised. The Superman reboot was necesary because let's face it, there are a lot of silly Superman stories in his past, even up into the 70's. But Hawkman, Green Lantern and even the modern version of Green Arrow could still chug along with their previous back stories intact and only minor tweaking.

I'm all for modernising a character, but don't throw out the stuff that worked along with the stuff that didn't. And for Pete's sake, don'tsuddenly establish that  your hero (with a 30 year publishing history) was a drunk with a criminal record in the early days of his career. 

Rafael Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2007 at 1:46am | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
  I'm all for modernising a character, but don't throw out the stuff that worked along with the stuff that didn't. And for Pete's sake, don'tsuddenly establish that  your hero (with a 30 year publishing history) was a drunk with a criminal record in the early days of his career.

I'm not one to say that stories shouldn't be told, but I surely have stories I utterly despise. That one being almost at the top.

I had the impression for a while that somebody at DC just didn't liked Jordan that much. After years of being a whiny, brainless crybaby (thanks, Denny!), they decide to saddle him with that whole drunk-driving thing, and make him even more of a whiny, brainless crybaby. Turning him into a megalomaniac mass murderer and then killing him wasn't the worst done to the character...

<< Prev Page of 48 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version