Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 48 Next >>
Topic: Stories that should NEVER be told.. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 1  

I blame the fans... they buy the shit like Civil War and Identity Crisis.... The big two didnt put a gun to peoples heads to get people to buy those stories Hell Civil War for all the bitching people are doing is flying off the shelves like free Crack at a Crack House.... The "fans" love it and can't get enough of it...

Expect a lot more of the same next year and the year after that .....
Back to Top profile | search

Rey Madrinan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'd like to point out that I think Watchman is a shallow, shock based story. People can write and read what they want, but I'm also going to express my opinion when I feel the need.

There is nothing wrong with someone reading or writing a book like the Watchmen, but its not a super-hero book.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 3  

Eric Lund wrote:
I blame the fans... they buy the shit like Civil War and Identity Crisis.... The big two didnt put a gun to peoples heads to get people to buy those stories Hell Civil War for all the bitching people are doing is flying off the shelves like free Crack at a Crack House.... The "fans" love it and can't get enough of it...

That's the main reason why I'm buying less and less, Eric.

:-(

Edited by John Bodin on 05 February 2007 at 3:44pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Crispkey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 4  

"That WATCHMAN provokes strong reactions and lots of discussion (to me)
suggests that it makes people think and think hard. That's a good thing.

That's why I'd say WATCHMEN is a terrific story."

---------------

I couldn't agree more. Spot-on observation.

James Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 4:04pm | IP Logged | 5  

No but you should blame Megadeath and Gwar for Marylin Manson.

But I won't and never will. People are responsible for their own actions and their own actions alone. No one "makes" anyone do anything. The Matrix might have even inspired those Columbine kids to go nuts, but I wouldn't hold it to blame. The writers of Identity Crisis or Spider-Totem bear the sole responsiblity for the awfulness of those stories, not Alan Moore or Dave Gibbons.

It is the slippery slope of "pushing" the boundries and upping the bar for the next idiot who wants to shock us. Watchmen should have been an adult series set in a more sci fi setting instead of bright colored superhero figured world.

I don't think Moore was out for shock value and any in depth interview with the man reveals his intentions behind Watchmen. As for what it should have been set at, I'll leave that up to the creators. Again, I think that any number of stories can be told in the genre of super powered people. I love Superman and Captain America, but I'm willing to read other types of stories.

James Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

I can't "blame" people for supporting what they like. I don't like it myself, but am not in the business of telling people what they "should" like either.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
Good that is not bad to a degree and a world where you can make the orginal Superboy a mass murderer...

When did this happen. The only murdering Superboy I know of is the Earth-Prime Superboy in Infinite Crisis. He was a one shot character (originally) who's story was better off never told. You're writing a story that has the ultimate goal of wipping out duplicate Earths and duplicate characters so you toss one more into the mix????

Troy Nunis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 8  

One of the biggest failings of iCrisis is how poorly it made it clear Superboy-Prime was not the original Superboy, or any Superboy who grew up to be Superman - but, as you say - character with two or three appearances all durring the oringal crisis, used to represent the Uber-Fanboy who selfishly wants everything back as it was and destroys what's around him trying to get it. The metaphore of the SuperFanboy beating the orignal Superman to death then gets lost on the reader.  (not that it was nessisarily anything really worth "getting") -- and in the end, comes off as a story that very much should have never been told, and certainly not that poorly.

Stan Lomisceau
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 9  

you should not hav etold stories about where iron man puts peopl ein jail and captain america has made rapes on somebody or when spiderman has gotten married. if you ar emaking stories like this you have forgotten why they are superhero comics!

James Revilla
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 10  

I love Superman and Captain America, but I'm willing to read other types of stories.

So am I, just as long as they are not other stories dressed up as superhero stories...and maybe I am biased against Moore...his latest stuff makes me sick. Though again, I think Watchmen is an entertaining read...just not a good superhero story

James Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 11  

Fair enough.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 12  

I have to wonder if when and how you read Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke and the rest of that 80s "darkening" colors your perception.  I was in my twenties and read them as monthly comics. At the tme they were just the best thing ever. Finally comics for "adults". It justfied me still reading comics as a "grown-up". Looking back it's probably that sort of thinking that led to the state comics are in today.

To the later generations of reader who encounter those books in trade format and since so much of what is happening in the industry is derived from those books it must be different.

Edited by Mike Norris on 05 February 2007 at 5:11pm

<< Prev Page of 48 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version