Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 48 Next >>
Topic: Stories that should NEVER be told.. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 1  

Well, what genre would costumed, super powered crime fighters be in? If Watchmen isn't a superhero story, what is it?

If I pen a story about half a dozen characters who wear cowboy hats, carry six guns, ride horses -- and are fighting on the front lines in WW2, have I written a "Western"?

Here is the single greatest problem with fans and pros alike, in this genre. The definition of "superhero" has become "guy in costume who fights badguys."

Back to Top profile | search

Oliver Staley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 2  

Is this just a debate about semantics? Or about discomfort with works that blur the lines of genres?  Watchmen doesnt fit neatly into any one category and that's one of the reasons it was so absorbing. Adding the moral ambiguity of noir fiction to the lofty ideals of the super hero world made the story that much more interesting.

In general, though, so long as a work is well written and illustrated, I don't much care whether its categorized as a "super hero" comic or not. I'll evaluate it on its merits, not its label.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 3  

Is this just a debate about semantics?

No. Unlike, say, "Westerm", or "Romance", or "Detective", or "Hospital", "superhero" is a very specific reference. I can write a story about a crooked cop, and it will still be a "cop story". I can get rid of the horses, the six-guns and even the cowboy hats, and still produce a "western".

But a "superhero story" requires that there be superheroes in it. And "superhero" means something much more than guys with powers (or even not) in costumes. "The Iron Giant" is one of the best superhero stories ever put on film, yet the lead character doesn't wear a costume, and isn't even human.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 4  

Maybe you don't recall, but there was a good chunk of the book dedicated to going after the bad guy.  Rorschach was obsessed with it in fact and that's about all he spent his time doing in the entire 12 issues.

Rorschach is not a hero. He's a maniac in a costume. Compare him to the Question, in his original form, and you'll see what I mean.

John OConnor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 5  

Side question/note for JB -- was there a time you'd have like to get your hands on The Question? Personally, I think he's another great character who is almost never used right.....

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 6  

Wasn't Moore's whole point that you had to be a maniac to put a costume on in the first place and fight crime? The story seemed more social/political commentary than anything else.... Moore's take on the United States and his take on our ideals where superheroes are concerned. I think he really was trying to show how silly the whole thing was and how horrific it would be if "superheroes" did in fact exist. The story seemed to me to say.... There is no heroic ideal and people given powers and costumes would not do the right thing at all but the same shallow, evil things that people do given power....

Mark Matthewman
Byrne Robotics Member
Boring Contrarian

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 7  

-------------------------

Edited by Mark Matthewman on 10 February 2007 at 1:03pm

Mike Farley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 8  

Here's one I don't THINK has been mentioned. I very much dislike the  return/resurrection/whatever-it-was of Reed and Sue's second child. Kind of misses the whole point of JB's story which was that super-heroes lead insanely dangerous lives and should not be procreating. It wasn't just a story with a kewl downer ending, it had a point.

Oliver Staley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 9  

Wasn't Moore's whole point that you had to be a maniac to put a costume on in the first place and fight crime? The story seemed more social/political commentary than anything else.... Moore's take on the United States and his take on our ideals where superheroes are concerned. I think he really was trying to show how silly the whole thing was and how horrific it would be if "superheroes" did in fact exist. The story seemed to me to say.... There is no heroic ideal and people given powers and costumes would not do the right thing at all but the same shallow, evil things that people do given power....

I think is very well said. It was challenge to whole notion of super heroes and maybe the first to do so.

Mark Matthewman
Byrne Robotics Member
Boring Contrarian

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 10  

---------------------------

Edited by Mark Matthewman on 10 February 2007 at 1:04pm

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 11  

There is no heroic ideal and people given powers and costumes would not do the right thing at all but the same shallow, evil things that people do given power....

Thats just flat out wrong. To suggest something like that, is to say there are no heroes in the world we live in.

Edited by Victor .R. Rodgers on 05 February 2007 at 10:53am

Oliver Staley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2007 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 12  

Here's one I don't THINK has been mentioned. I very much dislike the  return/resurrection/whatever-it-was of Reed and Sue's second child. Kind of misses the whole point of JB's story which was that super-heroes lead insanely dangerous lives and should not be procreating. It wasn't just a story with a kewl downer ending, it had a point.

Echoing that thought, I think about 90 percent of the stories involving Franklin Richards never needed to be told.

<< Prev Page of 48 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version