Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: The Greatest Slugfest Ever! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2007 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 1  

Dang it.  Everybody already named the good ones that I recall.  Of course, I could go with the X-Men versus the Imperial Guard form UXM #137.  That was a brutal slugfest.
Back to Top profile | search

David Kingsley Kingsley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2007 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 2  

I liked the Spider-Man vs. Juggernaut or Spider-Man vs. Firelord and Spider-Man vs. Morlun battles by, respectively Roger Stern and, I believe, Tom DeFalco, and JMS.

I'll agree with the Miracleman vs. Kid Miracleman story; that was legendary.

Meltzer's Green Arrow and Speedy vs. Solomon Grundy was a lot of fun.

I wish Bruce Jones' run on the Hulk would have been as good as the last issue of his Hulk vs. Abomination arc.

Miller's Batman vs. Superman arc in DKR 4 needs to be included as does Neal Adams' shirtless Batman swordfighting with Ra's Al Ghul.  

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Angelo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2007 at 12:37am | IP Logged | 3  

I've been a lifelong Avengers fan.Two of my favorite battles were T'Challa versus M'Baku the Man-Ape in Avengers 62.

And although a short battle, Ms. Marvel vs. Thundra in Avengers Annual 8.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2007 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 4  

Well, after reading THOR 126 last night, I gotta add Thor vs. Hercules to my list. Awesome!

Mike Duncan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2007 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 5  

Avengers vs. Count Nefaria in Byrne's art run. Classic beatings on everyone concerned. Iron Man going all out for something like .05 seconds before armour burn-out. And then Thor showing up to put on the hurt. *Ouch!*

FF/Avengers vs. the Hulk from early on in the Lee/Kirby run. I still think this is one of the best duels ever. Ben Grimm is clearly outmatched (and he knows it), but he keeps on going. Incredible.

Miracleman #15 is without a doubt how a battle royale in the "real world" would go down.

John Angelo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2007 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 6  

Mike Duncan wrote:
Avengers vs. Count Nefaria in Byrne's art run. Classic beatings on everyone concerned. Iron Man going all out for something like .05 seconds before armour burn-out. And then Thor showing up to put on the hurt. *Ouch!*

Omigod! How could I forget that slugfest?!? I agree, that's a classic.

Rik Levins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2007 at 3:00pm | IP Logged | 7  

Superman versus the super-powered Jimmy Olsen in The Nail.

Every punch was like a bomb blast, the concussions blowing down walls and knocking over trees. Ordinary people and even super-heroes were forced to flee the vicinity, as the very atmosphere was churned into a frenzy with swirling stormclouds and lightning flashing overhead. And when it was over, the entire landscape was devastated, nothing left standing in a vast crater of scorched earth and rock.

THAT was a fight. And the gorgeous Alan Davis artwork didn't hurt a bit.

Frank Robert
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2007 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 8  

> Funny how most choices are Marvel books. DC never was much for the good old slug-fest that destroyed city blocks.   Just one more thing that made Marvel stand out from DC back in the day.

DC has given us a number of such fights over the years -- most involving Superman -- such as:

1) Superman vs. Doomsday: Tore a swath across a chunk of America and left Metropolis in tatters.

2) Superman vs. Darkseid: Destroyed the planetoid Shyaol.

3) Superman vs. Earth 2 Superman: Destroyed Earth 2; ripped apart the fabric of space and time, creating all sorts of weird effects that were later undone.

4) Doomsday vs. Radiant: Collateral damage of one blast on Doomsday laid waste twenty percent of the planet Calaton.

5) Superman vs. Zod: Destroyed the planet Metropia.

6) Superman vs. Khyber: One hit (Superman thrown into the ground) ripped Earth's crust into chunks, creating thousands of volcanos and giant tsunamis of molten core, and ushered in a nuclear winter.

Marvel doesn't have a corner on the market of destructive uber-fights.

_Frank Robert

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 08 January 2007 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 9  

Rik Levins wrote:
Superman versus the super-powered Jimmy Olsen in The Nail.

Every punch was like a bomb blast, the concussions blowing down walls and knocking over trees. Ordinary people and even super-heroes were forced to flee the vicinity, as the very atmosphere was churned into a frenzy with swirling stormclouds and lightning flashing overhead. And when it was over, the entire landscape was devastated, nothing left standing in a vast crater of scorched earth and rock.

THAT was a fight. And the gorgeous Alan Davis artwork didn't hurt a bit.

Holy cow -- I forgot all about that one!  I just ran across my copies of The Nail yesterday -- looks like it's time for a re-read . . . thanks for the reminder!

:-)

Rey Madrinan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2007 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 10  

I think a problem that I have with Slugfests is that they are so common nowadays. Before, fights were generally shorter, and usually ended with someone defeating thier foe with a clever application of thier powers. Now every confrontation ends with some enourmous fight-scene that is always trying to one-up the last enourmous fight-scene. Its like an Ice-cream sundae with nothing but chocolate syrup.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Angelo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2007 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 11  

Rey Madrinan wrote:
I think a problem that I have with Slugfests is that they are so common nowadays. Before, fights were generally shorter, and usually ended with someone defeating thier foe with a clever application of thier powers. Now every confrontation ends with some enourmous fight-scene that is always trying to one-up the last enourmous fight-scene. Its like an Ice-cream sundae with nothing but chocolate syrup.

Well said.  I totally agree with this sentiment.

Btw, love the M&M avatars!

James Hanson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2007 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 12  

My problem with slugfests nowadays is that they seem to be static images of character just punching each other into walls. Gone are the daysthe Hulk would throw flour into a steamstack to create a cover to escape, the Thing would use tires to keep a guy away, etc. Kirby was the best at having the heroes use their environment and come up with strategy to defeat a foe.

Theyt meay be common, but so is the presentation.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version