Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2085 Next >>
Topic: TOSS-UP (New questions daily) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2007 at 12:01am | IP Logged | 1  

I liked Byrne/Claremont on X-men better than Byrne/Wolfman on FF.

But Byrne solo on FF up until the FF go into the Negative Zone (232 - 250) is one of the best runs ever by anyone on any book.

The stuff after 251 was great too, but I tend to go back to the first 18 issues the most.  Over and over.

As far as other X-men issues, I like the Thomas/Adams issues and most of the Claremont/Cockrum issues up until 150.  After 150, it was hit or miss.  I like the Paul Smith art, but I didn't like Romita Jr.'s or Silvestri's.  After issue 200 it was increasingly hard to follow as I didn't care for the Maddy Prior storyline and I refused to follow the essentially psychotic personality treatment of Storm.  I did not buy for a minute Storm's mastering of Cyclops in 201.  And then Logan suddenly metamorphosed from being a hotheaded beserker/fighter into a genius stratatician and sagely know-it-all with a history longer than Namor.  And then all the X-men died in 226?  And went to Australia?  And then all died again or went throught the "Seige Perilous" and then were inexplicably reborn in other bodies or found on beaches?  Utterly stupidly rediculous.  When someone has writer's block, they should step aside and let another writer take over instead of creating innane havok in a book's history.  The funny thing is, pretty much everything that happened after issue 200 has been rendered irrelevant.  If you stopped then and then picked up the book now, it wouldn't have mattered what has happened in the mean time.  Jean's still dead.  Rachel is still Marvel Girl pretending to be Phoenix.  Colossus is still alive.  The only major differences are the fact that Beast looks dumber and more cat-like, and Cyke is sleeping with the White Queen.  Oh, and there's that little idiotic issue that Professor X is depowered and that he hid the fact that there was another X-team that he never told anyone about and Phoenix never picked up on, even though she was pretty much power incarnate, which team amazingly featured another never-before-even-hinted-at Summers boy, who evidently is pretty much unstoppably powerful.  Yeesh.  OK, end of rant.

Did I rack up my vote for Byrne's FF?

Back to Top profile | search

Tony O'Farrell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2007 at 1:14am | IP Logged | 2  

I grew up on Marvel in the 70's and 80's and was completely loyal to Marvel until the late '80's when I got on a huge Batman kick which led me into the DC universe. By the 90's neither of the big two were doing much for me and I started getting more into independents and then eventually lost interest in new comics for the most part. I continued collecting and reading stuff from the 60's-80's (mostly Marvel).
At this point I see comics in the same way I see sports. It seems silly to root for a "team" when all the players are free agents which constantly move from team to team. Nowadays I'm much more interested in who's writing or drawing and I tend to follow creators more than characters or companies.
OOPS. I didn't notice there were two more pages and I was responding to an old question. (hangs head in shame...)

Edited by Tony O'Farrell on 10 January 2007 at 1:18am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Tony O'Farrell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2007 at 1:25am | IP Logged | 3  

As for the question at hand, I vote for FF. I've never been a big X-Men fan and The Fantastic Four are my favorite characters. Byrne's FF was also my introduction to his work. It was during that time that I reached the age when I started paying attention to who was writing/drawing the comics I was reading. I later went back and read his X-Men stuff but while I loved the art, the stories never really grabbed me. 

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2007 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 4  

Looks like we have a winner!

Now for a twist from my own "Golden Age"...

TODAY'S TOSS-UP (1/10):

JB's Fantastic Four or JB's Alpha Flight?

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2007 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 5  

Damn you, Pugliese.

FF, for the villains.

Greg Reeves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2007 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 6  

I'd go with Alpha Flight, because there wasn't as much history to catch up on, the book has really only been great when JB did it (whereas FF has had seeral good runs I think), and the characters were just so offbeat.

John Angelo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2007 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 7  

Toss-up catch up:

I chose DC over Marvel by way of the phonebook reprint collections. I grew up on Marvel, so I missed  A LOT of what DC had to offer. It's like discovering a whole new universe of characters and stories: Jonah Hex, Unknown Soldier, Haunted Tank (I did have these as a kid and loved them), Metamorpho, Green Lantern, JLA, Superman, et al.

JB's Fantastic Four.

and again,

JB's Fantastic Four, though I did really really love AF when I was young.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2007 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 8  

And again...i must say...Both of them!...your "tossing up questions" are becoming a torture!

Edited by Juan Jose Colin Arciniega on 10 January 2007 at 9:45am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2007 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 9  

This is a really close one but FF just nudges aside AF for me.

Maybe if JB's run on AF had been longer...

Jeremy Boyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2007 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 10  

I'm gonna go with Alpha Flight because I'm a Canadian, eh? And it really
thrilled me when I was a kid to read about my country's very own super-
team -- and one that existed in the Marvel Universe!!

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2007 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 11  

Fantastic Four by JB all the way.

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2007 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 12  

I'll go for Alpha Flight for similar reasons to Jeremy. Also, Greg brings up a good point about this book only being viable when JB did it.

<< Prev Page of 2085 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version