Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2085 Next >>
Topic: TOSS-UP (New questions daily) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2007 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 1  

Keep an eye out for future commission threads ;^)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2007 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 2  

Hunter, you're welcome!  Old-style Marvel is always fun to revisit!  Besides, the question of the day seemed to call for a bit of TT and A...

And David, I was being facetious, deliberately conflating things Peter David wrote about Quicksilver and mixing them into Northstar's history...  As far as I know, Peter David has never written anything about Northstar or his love life! Sorry for any confusion!

Wade Duvall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2007 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 3  

Wade:Anyone reading back in the 80s who didn't have a gaydar or know JBs intentions would think that Northstar was "turned" gay in #107.

Matt: John has said, many times on this very site, that Northstar was gay.  He always intended him to be gay.  He's the creator of the character. 

What does that have to do with someone reading the comic back in the 80s before the revelation?  Nothing.  Maybe some people caught JBs hints and some didn’t.  I didn’t and I don’t think I am alone.

Matt:That you don't want to read the FAQ that points to this fact because it's too much work for you shouldn't detract from the truth of the statement that the original creator of the character always saw said character as gay no matter if it happened during his original run or 100 issues later.

I did read it when it was originally pointed out by another poster and as I said that FAQ page didn’t provide any of the “hints” JB gave that occurred below the comics code gaydar screen.  Btw, did the comics code miss those hints?

Matt: In the end, what "signs" should you have been aware of, Wade?  Being gay is no more different than being straight. It's just a different life choice. 

Actually, we are talking about a super-hero comic book being read by people of which the vast majority aren’t (or the 80s were not) gay or had been exposed to the gay lifestyle.  People of which a high percentage were kids or teenagers who were just looking for some kick ass action and would probably miss any subtle hints to Northstar’s gayness.

Matt:  I can tell you that I've been around people who, on the outside, appeared straight for many years until such a time as they came out and told me they were gay.  Why can't we accept that the same could be true of Northstar?

I guess we can, but that isn’t what the argument was about.

Wade: The real problem is when some gay sensitive people such as yourself call people ignorant just because they don't remember some subtle hints of Northstars gayness from a comic they read 20 years ago. 

Matt: Bullshit.  The "real problem" is someone, like yourself, speaking from a position of authority when, in reality, they can't even remember what it is they are referencing. 

Now that is some serious bullshit Matt. I never claimed to be an authority on anything.  I just said I don’t remember Northstar being gay prior to the revelation issue.  I am sure I am not the only one in that boat.

Matt: It has nothing to do with being "gay sensitive" and everything to do with understanding that John Byrne has said, over and over again, that Northstar, as he created him, was always gay. 

Who is disputing what John Byrne said?  I am not.  The fact that Mr. Byrne made it known to people 25 years after the fact on a website that he created Northstar to be gay doesn’t translate to people reading Alpha Flight 25 years ago knew North Star was gay.

Matt: That you may not have picked up on those cues, that you may not have seen anything that suggested this, in no way makes his eventual coming out of the closet "turning" the character gay. 

That makes no sense Matt.  Of course it makes the character “turning” gay in the eyes of someone who never perceived that character as gay in the first place.  Do you think I am the only one who didn’t know Northstar was gay until the revelation?  People who now know what JB’s intentions were from his website 25 years after the fact doesn’t translate to people reading the book in the 80s knowing JB’s intentions.

Matt: He is as he was when he was first created.  The execution of his coming out of the closet may have been poorly handled by the creative team that was writing him at the time, but to say that this was a character that was formerly straight now turned gay for some sort of publicity stunt is absolutely and totally false.

Totally false in your eyes Matt.  I remember the hype and the media attention at the time.  Looked like a stunt to get sales on a failing comic to me.  Did sales go up or down after the revelation issue?  I know it was canceled by issue #130.

Wade: In fact, as OSPG says, it was a revelation. 

Matt: Of course it was a revelation!  He came out of the closet to the characters in the issue in question!  I can't honestly believe that you're using the Overstreet Guide as evidence that Northstar was never supposed to be gay! 

Once again you are making false claims about me Matt.  Where did I say Northstar was never supposed to be gay? I didn’t!  Why can’t I use OSPG as a reference?  Are you saying it isn’t a good source for facts about comics?

Matt: It was a revelation to the other characters in his world, but not a revelation to those people who paid attention to how he was portrayed, not only by the creator of the character, but by everyone else who worked on him. 

Says you Matt.  I think outside the very small amount of people that were gay (or around the gay community) who might have read Alpha Flight in the 80s most people didn’t know until the revelation issue.  I am not talking about people who know now and are looking back with that knowledge.  You can spin it and say it was a revelation to the characters of his comicbook world if you want, but that is just your spin.  However, it could be both a revelation in the comicbook world and the real world, couldn't it? 

Matt: What? He should have run around with a rainbow uniform and shouted "I'M GAY!!" from the top of his lungs in every other issue?

No, just one issue would have been enough, and it was.  OSPG calls it the revelation issue. 

Back to Top profile | search

Jeremy Boyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2007 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 4  

Both Auroras are beautiful but the original is my choice.

What a great vixen she was! And no one but no one ever drew her anywhere
close to the heights of sexuality JB achieved...

Hunter McFalls
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2007 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 5  

Back when Alpha Flight first came out, I thought Aurora and NorthStar were actual elves, from another dimension or something. At the time I thought that they might have a deeply routed past in the supernatural like Shaman and Snowbird. Back then I thought if you had pointy ears you were either a Vulcan or an Elf. Heck, I even imagined that Shaman might have even pulled them out of his medicine bag from another dimension white washed their memories and brainwashed them to think they were mutants.

Edited by Hunter McFalls on 21 January 2007 at 2:25pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2007 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 6  

Hunter, Bill Mantlo apparently had similar ideas...

I love the idea that Shaman could have pulled them out of his medicine bag, though!  That's so much fun!  I'd have chalked their "mutant" status to elves being playful, clever liars, or bound by elven law not to reveal their true natures in this world or somesuch...

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2007 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 7  

Brian, thanks for the clarification! Whew!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2007 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 8  

No problem, David!  Again, sorry for creating the confusion in the first place!

Hunter McFalls
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2007 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 9  

Brian, cool did not know about Bill Mantlo.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2007 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 10  

When Mantlo took over the series, he either instigated a storyline or inherited one (I can't recall just now) wherein Northstar had acquired a persistant cough and was growing more and more ill.  Since his homosexuality was a well-known "open secret" amongst the fans, it was immediately assumed he had been stricken with AIDS.  Possible due to negative fallout or editorial interference, Mantlo altered the flow of the story so that it was revealed that Northstar and his sister hailed from a sort-of interdimensional Fairyland (!) and it was that realm that was dying.  When AF saved the fairyland, they saved Northstar and Aurora as well.

The things done in the name of political correctness..."Northstar's not gay, everyone!  He's just a fairy!" (shakes head in disbelief...)

Hunter McFalls
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2007 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 11  

Thanks Brian, I did not collect those issues. That is very interesting.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2007 at 4:39am | IP Logged | 12  

I prefer Aurora's original costume.

<< Prev Page of 2085 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version