Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2085 Next >>
Topic: TOSS-UP (New questions daily) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 1  

New Stuff- DC, Marvel, Dark Horse are all about even

Back Issues- 60's, 70's and 80's Marvel dominate my choices; DC is creeping in thanks to some awesome Legion issues.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 2  

Historically, I have to give 40s to DC (read even fewer Marvels, though), 60s-80s to Marvel, 90s leans toward DC, and 00s is DC all the way.  In terms of current direction, both companies seem to be heading in directions I don't want them to go, but at least DC seems to be taking more care with it.

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 3  

I'm a DC guy. And like Francesco, I'm particularly into Superman. He's practically a genre unto himself, IMO.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Albert Matthews
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 4  

I've always thought of D.C. as the Shakespeare of comics--great concepts but a little old and dusty by contemporary standards. Whereas Marvel was more like Mark Twain--the first contemporary writer whose characters you could relate to in a more personal way. (Hey, if Joe Q. can make questionable music analogies, I can do the same with classic lit!)

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 5  

Generally, Marvel - though I'm a big fan of the DC animated shows.

Darren De Vouge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 6  

I used to be pretty evenly split between Marvel and DC; but those days are over.  I read mostly DC because I cannot stomach what M****** has become.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 7  

I started out as a Marvel zombie or, more specifically, an X-Men fan.  That was before the crossovers started scewing everything up, though.  I only drifted back a few times  during the 1990s and most recently tried the taste test with 'em before "House of M" and "Decimation" turned everything sour again, so I can't be so sure about going back in while the current managment and editorial staffs are in place.

DC kind of grew on me, although I can see that they're similarly caught up in the crossovers and gimmicks.  Maybe it's the fact that certain artists whose work I really enjoyed at Marvel have found a new home here.  Even so, I'm going to be neutral on whichever one I favor now because of the industry trends of recent years, but DC does outweigh Marvel for me at the moment.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 8  

Over the course of my life, Marvel has always been a bigger part of my reading, but recently, DC has much more quality in my opinion.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 9  

I still buy a lot from both publishers. Push come to shove, and I'd have to say I'm more of a Marvel guy at heart.  I started with Marvel.  Most of my favorite characters were created by Marvel, with my all-time favorite being Spider-Man.  Although I love me some DC titles and characters, more so now than ever before, and even though I hate, hate, HATE what they're currently doing to some of their iconic characters**, I'll cast my vote for Marvel.

**Marvel isn't alone in this.  DC has a history of tossing out the baby with the bathwater too.

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 10  

I think I was always more a Marvel guy.
DCs characters felt like the dull old guard and Marvel were the new, edgier, anything can happen company. I've always preferred their characters.
DC began to win me over after the first Crisis in the eighties. With the exception of The Legion of Super-Heroes, I've never much cared for most of pre-crisis DC.
Come the nineties though, the only Marvel book I was buying was Hulk. I eventually began picking up more Marvel, but now most of what I buy is DC.
I just don't like what M***** is doing to their characters. I don't recognize them anymore, so with a few exceptions, I don't buy nearly as many of their books as I used to.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 11  

was always a marvel guy...got my start collecting marvel and though i've picked up some dc books (mostly byrne titles) i never really felt the same connection to the characters.

the marvel guys are so far removed from what they used to be so those days are gone...so at this point i'd have to say neither.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2007 at 11:24pm | IP Logged | 12  

Old Marvel
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 2085 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version