Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 170 Next >>
Topic: new art ! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2007 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 1  

Whether on his own, or on orders from on high, Dave took this as a cue to redraw all the other X-Men figures and faces, too.

----------

Did he redraw all of them?? The Nightcrawler head in panel 2 looks like its still yours...

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2007 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 2  

"Michael" -

So YOU'RE the one who one those pages out from under me!

Congrats!

(And "Congrats" to you too, James!)
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 June 2007 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 3  

The Nightcrawler head in panel 2 looks like its still yours...

Nightcrawler -- not surprisingly -- got special attention. Dave reshaped the face, especially the long jaw I had given Kurt, in every panel.

One good thing in this, mind you, by comparing the images I was able to get a better "fix" on what the characters looked like.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2007 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 4  

Yes - "Andrew" - I am.  But there was another that eluded me, too -- the one with the first panel having all the Avengers in it -- went for a little more than I had in my budget (ie - I could get those TWO pages - or - go after that ONE page) - and two in the hand is worth more than one in the bush...

I am about 1/2 way there to having pages from all of John's "runs" on books -- some will forever elude me so a page "recreation" may be the ticket for a couple "eras".

I really enjoy looking at the evolved style over such a long period of skills on display.  I enjoy the "brutish" quality to his very early stuff - that became such a fluid story-telling style in the 80s.  The more current stuff I like for the subtle accents tobody language and things like that.   Kind of why I like these pages so much -- is not just some "super types" -- there's something else in the figures and images testing John's skills at the time.

Good times.

Edited by Michael Hunt on 08 June 2007 at 5:21pm

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 5  

As expected, my Sal Buscema Spectacular Spider-Man page arrived today (posted above where he's fighting Puma).  Unfortunately it appears that a previous owner took steps to cover up all the notes written on the margins of the page!!!  ARGH!!! There is a tough white tape around the edges covering up some hand written notes.....what should I do?  Do I dare try to remove the tape?  The art is beautiful in person by the way.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

Are you positive the previous owner added the tape? I have older pieces that have tape around certain portions of the edges that seem to have been done during some point of the production process. If you are going to try and remove it I'd only attempt a small area first Joe. Try an exacto knife. If it looks like it will tear or pull up the paper underneath don't try any further.

Edited by Paul Greer on 11 June 2007 at 4:10pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 4:16pm | IP Logged | 7  

Tape was often added during production to mask the notes before printing. So, you have a bit of a dilemma, if you are a purist.

(Bob Wayne, marketing flak for DC, told an interesting story. It seems that some squarebound comics were shipped from the printers so tightly wrapped that the spines were broken. Retailers complained that they had arrived in their shops not in "mint" condition. Bob pointed out that, if we are going to use the term "mint" to describe something that is not minted, then however the books leave the printers would be "mint".)

James Henry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2007 at 10:07pm | IP Logged | 8  

That's a shame about the masking tape.  I really enjoy having the margin notes on original art since they provide such a great view into the creative process and the interaction between the writer and artist.

I've found that the extensive margin notes with plot and script details have tended to be original art pages from the 60s and 70s, so I'm very interested to now what lurks beneath the tape on your Spider-Man page.

James Henry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 9  

I've had this double-page spread from issue 2 of the Wolverine Limited Series for a while, but I couldn't scan it propertly on my Mustek A3 scanner due to the size.  Then it dawned on my to see if any of the very talented people on this forum could help me out by "stitching" two 11" x 17" scans together.  Many thanks to both Gerry Turnbull and Derek Muthart for their fine Photoshop work.

Michael Cross
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 10  

That's a great page James!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Henry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 11  

I received this piece last week from an Ebay purchase.  I'm not sure if I'm comfortable calling it "original art" strictly speaking since it's mostly paste ups of the art, title and indicia on Marvel art board with some white out and inking for corrections.  I imagine that someone else must have John Byrne's real original art that was used as the basis for this final production art.

As I mentioned, it looks like there was a lot of cutting and pasting, resizing and repositioning of the various figures to get them into just the right spot for the cover.  It's all an interesting window into the creative process prior to Photoshop, which is one of the things I enjoy about original art from the 80s and earlier. 

One thing to note that I really liked is that there is a retouch on She-Hulk's chest.  At first I thought that JB had shown a bit too much cleavage for the editor's tastes, but after pulling back one of the front layers, it looks like he originally had her wearing the Fantastic Four costume with the (4) on the chest.  Cool stuff.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 June 2007 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 12  

James that Miller Wolverine spread is amazing. I bow to the greatness of your collection.

<< Prev Page of 170 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version